Force cars smoke letting off crossing the line? (1 Viewer)

Danno

Nitro Member
Every now & then, I'll notice the Force cars make a huge cloud of smoke just as they cross the line, I assume when they let off. What causes the big cloud? I dont see anyone else's car doing that?

Dan, it's not just every now & then, it seems to happen nearly every run. I think Coil or Bernie once said that they just like to run 'em leaner than most.
And has anyone else noticed the chunks of rubber coming off of the cars in the shut-dopwn area. Nearly every car seems to do it & it seems to be worse when they shut them down early & right before the chutes come out. Seems like it's really become more pronounced, or at least more visible, in the last couple/three races.
I did notice that they showed what I assumed to be an engineer checking the temps of the rear tires after a run.
One more thing I noticed, what was all of the, what appeared to be metal fragments, coming off of Doug Herbert's car when they showed a rear view of him leaving the line? Sure didn't look good but didn't appear to hurt the run. Anyone else see that?:eek: ......................"HIP"

One more thing I noticed, what was all of the, what appeared to be metal fragments, coming off of Doug Herbert's car when they showed a rear view of him leaving the line? Sure didn't look good but didn't appear to hurt the run. Anyone else see that?:eek: ......................"HIP"
Sparks from the clutch can perhaps?

Troy Buff told me that the EMS were shooting the drivers with a temp gun when they got out at the big end....... Temps in the 155-160 range. That's freakin hot.

Yeah Patrick, it appeared to be big chunks of aluminum, definitely too big to be sparks from the clutch................"HIP"

They asked the question a while back on NHRA 2day about the Force cars. The answer was that they burn the pistons out the way they run their tune up..................

Well with no traction there ethier they run them leaner because with no load on the motor(no traction) it will drop cylinders. it looked expensive there in the heat!

I've always wanted to know:
Do burnt pistons go in the trash or are they recycled with the empty soda cans?

Try sold as collectables :rolleyes:

I think Tom Hoover was one of the first I remember seeing doing this. I remember Ma Hoover tending the display at their pits in Brainerd in oh, I want to say 90/'91?? Tom wasn't running with the same budget as the other teams and had to get his money wherever possible. I bought a holed piston. (Since lost, darnit!!:( :mad: ) I rmember standing there watching the crew work when someone who didn't know the Hoovers very well came up and tried to talk this "little old lady" down in price. What a hoot!! She cleaned his clocks!! "You want the piston??? There's the price!! NEXT!!"

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back