Flooding in the desert (1 Viewer)

Hatch is about 165 miles from me. We go there every year about this time to pick up green chile. Chile comes in 30 pound sacks and my mom roasts, bags and freezes anywhere from 10 to 15 sacks a year.

Alburquerque is about 17 miles from me and they had something like 6 inches in two hours a couple nights ago. We got some rain from that storm but I had the pumps going as soon as it started. The gutter broke on the back of the building so I rolled an empty 55 gallon barrell over to it and put a pump in there and hoped like heck I wouldn't electricute myself. The problem is, there is no where for the water to go. There are portions of arroyos that are washed out. Pot holes everywhere. Oy!

We've had three inches in our building and 8 inches in our yard. On of our neighbors had a foot of water in her house and a fit with the insurance company because they didn't cover flood damage. Flood insurance isn't required since we aren't on a flood plane. The insurance company said to them "We aren't going to fix the walls, carpet or tile, but we'll give you a new roof". The damage wasn't from the roof leaking, it was from water rising through the doorways.

We have mushrooms and mold growing in our front yard. We even had tadpoles and frogs!!! The plus side here, is that the land is greener than I've ever seen it.

Last edited:
Broadway and Lomas got over an Inch in just 30 minutes on Sunday night. They showed waves of water going over the Hoods of cars!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back