Fines for Sportsman Oildowns (1 Viewer)

Thats what I say..... so does this meen that sportsman get into nationals for free now like the pros????

Yea, I wish.
I will get a diaper for my car for safety reasons. Not because they said so(which they did).
They are just trying to get the sportsman car count down like the enhancement idea they came up with years ago. I guess the next thing they will do is turn off the e.t. display and charge us for is to get our time slip from the booth.

I guess I will get a free pass to the barn when I bring out my car.:)

Additional Earned Credits

Professional teams will earn an additional one (1) credit after 25 consecutive oil-free runs at NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series national events.** Those credits earned will not be rolled-over from one season to the next.*

My Biggest Question, and I know many are going to want to know especially in Alky where some teams have high 6 digit involvement,

Does this rule of thumb only apply to Pros? It doesn't mention anything about pro sportsman or sportsman having the same provision, does anyone know if we do?

Thanks for sharing this post.

Nancy

Don't suppose they'd give you the fine back if you made 25 or 50 oildown free runs after paying it? :D

untill they come up with a SFI tag for Diapers.. I think the sale of depends is going to sky rocket. Or the car count will be going down because race gas cost and truck fuel and oh WAIT NEWS FLASH..................

NHRA is not to SMART. More oil downs = more Burgers, Beer and nitro mall sales. Opppppps I bet they forgot about that.

ok forget the Diaper or belly pans.

It all surrounds one thing...the TV coverage. Less downtime means more TV time for the pros. Sportsman cars are filler for the rest of the event. NHRA probably sells just as many burgers and such when the sportsman cars go down the track as they probably do during a nitro oildown simply because fewer people sit in the stands to watch the throttle-stop cars. Sad, but true.

I think that sportsman racers should be insulted, in my opinion. For those sportsman racers with a tight budget, spending the money on the diaper could mean the difference of whether or not they freshen the motor. It's a vicous circle that, unfortunately, leads to NHRA looking for more coin from the sportsman racers. Yes, I understand that the pros are the show and that everyone comes to see the nitro cars and Pro Stock cars and bikes, but sportsman racers pay to race as well. We pay to be members of the NHRA, and while I am sure there are some out there that say "Well, if you don't like it, go race in the IHRA," for some racers that isn't a viable option.

All I have to say is this. If I am unfortunate enough to frag a motor at a national event, with my salary, it's going to be quite a while before I get the cash together to get another motor in the car. With that in mind, if I happen to blow something up and NHRA wants charge me $250-$500 for it, then I am going to get my money's worth. You'll see me on the Motel 6 screen skating in the puddle of oil on the track with a smile!

:D :D

Frankie Cicerale
Tax Bracket Racing
Piscataway, NJ
S/C 151J
S/G 151J
S/ST 151J
Stock 1510
www.taxbracketracing.com

I have been thinking about putting a diaper on the car for safety reasons anyway, so since this new ruling is taking effect, I guess now is the time. I don't want to invest in one that won't be legal when it becomes mandatory next year. Can someone tell me what's the best deal out there now that gets the job done?

Van Williams
S/C 4520

Let's see....sportsman racer pays 2,000.00 to win a national event and gets a no freebie 250.00 fine...PRO pay's ??? they get a freebie and the fine is 500.00.

Yea...that seems real frickin fair

The sportsman racer will bitch and moan about this rule, but they'll be pulling into the Gainesville Raceway gate in droves.

Maybe a little less time watching the satellite TV and cooking on the grill is in order?

The sportsman racer will bitch and moan about this rule, but they'll be pulling into the Gainesville Raceway gate in droves.

Maybe a little less time watching the satellite TV and cooking on the grill is in order?

They will be there is droves, because we love to race, just like (or more so than) the pros, and most of us have the dream of winning a national event.

What in the world does less time watching TV have to do with this?

When I hear a sportman racer say that "I knew she was coming apart but this is raceday and I don't care if she blows" then I may agree with oil down penalties as a deterent.

I think the real problem is the show it self. For the Nats they should make it a pro show. Add TAD and TAF, Pro Mod, TF Harley, and perhaps bring back a crowd pleaser like A Gas for every race. Make it a two day show, qualify on Sat race on Sun. Up the pay out for TAD and TAF so these guys can make a living and perhaps get credit for being Pro's even if the NHRA does not call them Pro's. The sportsman racing should be done at Div's along with perhaps TAD and TAF and Pro Mod. In the long run I think it would be better for the fans and the racers. Just a crazy suggestion.

Earl

Earl, I don't think those suggestions are crazy at all. I think the NHRA should do something exactly along the lines you suggest.

Guys you will never see a national event without the true sportsman racers (sc/sg/ss/stock) etc b/c they are the bank that NHRA robs every national event. Hell even at the divisional level. Take the Div 4 race at Houston last month. We had 59 top dragsters at $250 give or take. So thats $14,750 and you know what it paid? $1200. Not sure what r/u and semis got but it aint another probably $500/$600 to r/u and probably $300 or so for semi loss. I dont know but either way the they take in almost $15k and pay out somewhere around $3k. And Nationals are even more $$$ and more cars. NHRA cant afford to get rid of the sportsman cars.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back