FC cage padding - does NHRA need outside help? (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
Three interesting things surfaced today.
The first was Jim Head on the qualifying show ("I'm just a Civil Engineer" - right!). Said that after finding the actual cause of Eric's injury that his first idea was a full titanium shield, fully padded.

Second was Rob Geiger's reporting of KB and Walsh making very careful measurements between KB's helmet and current padding. In both cases, it was made very clear that padding cannot touch driver's helmet as it would transmit vibration - causing vision problems.

And third . . . we have WJ stating (parphrasing here) that "Teams may be close to disaster and not realize it." Scary - but possibly correct.

I have to believe that teams realize that although this has never happened
before, the potential exists for it to happen again. I believe I heard that NHRA has retained an outside source to investigate this. FC's will race at Houston tomorrow - after that, something needs to be done before the Vegas race.

I'm going to be very careful here - there are experts in other racing series that have a huge amount of data and experience in drivers walking away from extremely violent crashes. This IS a unique situation, but when I see drivers in open wheel cars survive without injury when nothing is left but the carbon fiber "tub", I have to wonder if it is time for NHRA to ask for help. I'm just offering my opinion - I wish I had an answer - Jim

Three interesting things surfaced today.
The first was Jim Head on the qualifying show ("I'm just a Civil Engineer" - right!). Said that after finding the actual cause of Eric's injury that his first idea was a full titanium shield, fully padded.

Second was Rob Geiger's reporting of KB and Walsh making very careful measurements between KB's helmet and current padding. In both cases, it was made very clear that padding cannot touch driver's helmet as it would transmit vibration - causing vision problems.

And third . . . we have WJ stating (parphrasing here) that "Teams may be close to disaster and not realize it." Scary - but possibly correct.

I have to believe that teams realize that although this has never happened
before, the potential exists for it to happen again. I believe I heard that NHRA has retained an outside source to investigate this. FC's will race at Houston tomorrow - after that, something needs to be done before the Vegas race.

I'm going to be very careful here - there are experts in other racing series that have a huge amount of data and experience in drivers walking away from extremely violent crashes. This IS a unique situation, but when I see drivers in open wheel cars survive without injury when nothing is left but the carbon fiber "tub", I have to wonder if it is time for NHRA to ask for help. I'm just offering my opinion - I wish I had an answer - Jim

Maybe I misunderstood but I thought Jim Head said when he thought it was the impact with the wall that caused Eric's passing that he started thinking about more padding. BUT when he found out about the shake that he had to look elsewhere..

My question is.... Have you ever seen the wobble or wheel whip that sometimes occurs after the burnout? What harmonics cause this? Could that have happened at speed going downtrack? I know they showed it happen to Kenny Bernstein and it ripped the butterfly steering out of his hands after his burnout.

All of the padding in the world won't stop DAI. In fact, I think additional padding that has a chance of contacting the driver will cause the driver to be shaken even more. The only way to reduce severe shaking of the driver is to isolate him from the chassis. Even then, you can only reduce shake, not completely eliminate it. The current design has the driver tied to the chassis which is transferring the vibration directly to the driver. A good comparison is the difference between driving a rigid frame chopper compared to a softtail.
Someone call JFR and see if they've come to the same conclusion.

All of the padding in the world won't stop DAI. In fact, I think additional padding that has a chance of contacting the driver will cause the driver to be shaken even more. The only way to reduce severe shaking of the driver is to isolate him from the chassis. Even then, you can only reduce shake, not completely eliminate it. The current design has the driver tied to the chassis which is transferring the vibration directly to the driver. A good comparison is the difference between driving a rigid frame chopper compared to a softtail.
Someone call JFR and see if they've come to the same conclusion.

Exactually right.

All of the padding in the world won't stop DAI. In fact, I think additional padding that has a chance of contacting the driver will cause the driver to be shaken even more. The only way to reduce severe shaking of the driver is to isolate him from the chassis. Even then, you can only reduce shake, not completely eliminate it. The current design has the driver tied to the chassis which is transferring the vibration directly to the driver.

Some good points. However - is it often said that FC pilots drive by the seat of their pants! It would be a fine line to design a seat that would protect the driver from violent shake and still allow him to feel when he was in trouble.

For some reason, there has been no mention of the available versions of a very important piece of safety equipment. One version could dampen lateral movement of the driver's head and lessen contact with the cage padding.
It will be interesting to see if this is determined to be a factor in Eric's injury, or if it is even considered.

I know one thing for sure. It's going to take someone a whole smarter than me to figure this one out. My biggest fear at this point is losing someone else.
I'm anxious to hear what the folks at JFR have to say.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back