F/C side windows (1 Viewer)

TooTall999

Nitro Member
What's up with the pop-out side windows on Ashley Force's car?Didn't notice them on any other cars(not that we actually got to see alot of other cars run}:rolleyes:

On Weds. we were getting the body certified on my parents alky car and we saw those windows. It's a pretty trick deal. Don't know why they're just on her car but I think it's a pretty darn good idea!!

Sean

I remember during testing that Ashley was having a hard time seeing through the clutch dust The mustang body seems to be the worst about that with the smallest greenhouse. They said they made some modifications to the interior and windows to help that. I think this is part of that deal. from the looks of things it appears that the back of the window tips out a little bit on the run helping evacuate clutch dust. then in the shut dow it looks like the whol ewindow moves out to allow fresh air in. This is all just a guess, I don't design funny cars. But I did stay at a Motel 6 last night

I remember during testing that Ashley was having a hard time seeing through the clutch dust The mustang body seems to be the worst about that with the smallest greenhouse. They said they made some modifications to the interior and windows to help that. I think this is part of that deal. from the looks of things it appears that the back of the window tips out a little bit on the run helping evacuate clutch dust. then in the shut dow it looks like the whol ewindow moves out to allow fresh air in. This is all just a guess, I don't design funny cars. But I did stay at a Motel 6 last night
Did they leave the light on for you?

I have a few questions and or comments about these windows... I have always thought for years that they sould have pop out windows on the side, incase of a upside down ride, with fire... There is no way out... PERIOD!!
The windows on Ashley's car seemed to be tethered at four points, and would seem to me, act as a spill plate or aero deflector in a way if you think about it, or look at them sticking out 2-3 inches again... Also, I do not believe that they are big enough for anyone to acually get out of, as it appears to only be half the window that pops out... I would totally understand if that is a fear that Ashley has of not being able to get out if something causes no other way to escape... Anyone who has ever sat in a F/C with the body down can tell you that... One way in, no way out... Upside down... How are the tethers released?? Pocket knife?? And what happens when a window becomes a 300 MPH guilotine??:eek:

I'm not sure of this...but; I'm thinking along the line of the body burst panel. Same function - different approach.
Look at how John Force was trying to save his body from fire after the runs yesterday.

I guess you missed Grubby's Garage, he showed how and why the were there, and said it should be manditory on all F/Cs.

Well do fill us in on what he said please for those of us north of the border who dont get to see the broadcast until next tuesday!:(

It is a great idea though if its for safety reasons. It is little known that Jet Funny Cars have been using the removable window technology for many years. Due to the nature of the drivers position in a jet car it is not possible for them to utilize the usual roof hatch that is seen on regular funny cars. Instead they have the drivers side section of the front window afixed such as that it can be knocked out by the driver if they need to escape the car quickly in an emergency situation.

Definitely would be a very good idea to utilize in a varying style within the regular funny car classes.

Ashley said her side windows became loose on one of her qualifying runs. Grubby said either Ashley, a crew member or someone on the Safety Safari could push or pull the windows out in an emergency.

Once again I will post MY opinion....This window situation is not mandatory or justified to be mandatory.... How many drivers have not been able to exit a flaming fuel car because of being upside down? Maybe 2 in the last twenty years? To make it a new requirement will take more money out of low-budgeted teams. Ever been an owner of a low-budget team....When we ran TA/FC the yearly/bi-yearly re-certs were enough to make you want to throw-up. The can had to be inspected evry two years...by the maker who could say it needs to be replaced/safety belts/blower bag/-20 firesuit/engine diaper/clutch re-cert/chassis inspection/body ejection device/clutch filter/etc..I know some stuff is necessary but it would hit your pocket hard as the window deal would need to be paid for and approved..This situation is a JFR deal and who knows.....maybe he is over-protective of his daughter....My daughter does ESPN cheerleading and I do not mandate young men to guard her and to protect her from every scratch when she is catapulted (spell-ck??) 20-30 ft into the air.....If she gets hurt then she learns...And we all know there are far more physical injuries in sports than drag racing......

Once again I will post MY opinion....This window situation is not mandatory or justified to be mandatory.... How many drivers have not been able to exit a flaming fuel car because of being upside down? Maybe 2 in the last twenty years? To make it a new requirement will take more money out of low-budgeted teams. Ever been an owner of a low-budget team....When we ran TA/FC the yearly/bi-yearly re-certs were enough to make you want to throw-up. The can had to be inspected evry two years...by the maker who could say it needs to be replaced/safety belts/blower bag/-20 firesuit/engine diaper/clutch re-cert/chassis inspection/body ejection device/clutch filter/etc..I know some stuff is necessary but it would hit your pocket hard as the window deal would need to be paid for and approved..This situation is a JFR deal and who knows.....maybe he is over-protective of his daughter....My daughter does ESPN cheerleading and I do not mandate young men to guard her and to protect her from every scratch when she is catapulted (spell-ck??) 20-30 ft into the air.....If she gets hurt then she learns...And we all know there are far more physical injuries in sports than drag racing......

My opinion is that whether it has occured or not anything to make a race car safer in the future should be considered. Obviously a cost analysis compared to the risk factors would be a smart move before mandating something but if it saves one life, ten years from now then it was completely worth it. If you dont like the costs of racing then instead of complaining about it, walk away from it. We did the whole deal out of our own pockets all the way up to AA/FC and yes money was always an issue but if you want to compete then do it when you can and the best you can when you do. I could sit here and complain about how the costs of running a fuel team have escalated and forced us to only be able to race with a major sponsor backing us. But instead I choose to be positive and relish the fact that our sport has grown now to the point that it costs 4 million dollars a year to run a competitive team. Although I do think it is very important to keep costs as low as possible for sportsman competitors because they are the ones who keep the sport thriving.

Thats just my .02

It appears that the window is divided 2/3rds removable and 1/3rd bolted in place. The removable portion slips or hinges to the portion that is permanent and then there are two latches similar to the ones on the prostock windows with a rod connecting them at the top and bottom. The driver would have to pull that rod and unlatch the window slip it out and escape in the event of a roll over and fire. Great Idea, the only reason I believe Ashley's windows were popped out during qualifying is that they were not properly latched, I hope. I'm not a know it all and this is my first time posting and I also just cut parts for the T/F funny cars and dragsters, not fabricate.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back