Ever see a TF car get beat by it's own motor? (1 Viewer)

Wasn't it Eddie that had a HUGE boomer at the starting line and all that was left of the engine was the crank and few rods? This happened sometime in the late 80s/early 90s. I think shortly after that, forged blocks were introduced.

doug herbert.jpg

I knew about Doug's explosion, but the one I'm thinking of happened around ten years prior. I searched but couldn't find pictures of it. Someone started using forged blocks shortly after.

I knew about Doug's explosion, but the one I'm thinking of happened around ten years prior. I searched but couldn't find pictures of it. Someone started using forged blocks shortly after.

Eddie's crew chief told me that the two really big car-destroying boomers - not the one pictured in the video above - were caused by metallurgical defects in both of the two blocks - coupled by the fact that Eddie was really pushing them hard, determined to retire not only as drag racing's 'Four-Father', but to set a new national record and become NHRA's 'Four-Forty Father'. This was one of the runs in question:

I was about 400 feet out when Herbert blew up. I never seen anything like it. The video does no justice for how big that explosion was. I had friends on both sides pretty close to the starting line, some dove for cover, and some froze becasue they could not believe what they saw.

I saw Betty Hoover in the pits after that run during the clean up, and she had a piece of Doug's blower land in front of their pit area. There was parts everywhere.

-On a side note, Mark Kinsella bought out Eddie Hill's operation and had a very similar explosion at Englishtown the next year. Total destruction.

Tom - there was one at Firebird with the McGee quad cam car - don't remember the year. Motor literally jumped out of the frame and was connected by fuel lines. When Steve Evans asked the driver when he knew he was in trouble, driver replied "When the motor passed me!" -

Famous picture. Happened at Tulsa at perhaps the PDA race. Larry Brown driving for Bob Dumont. There was a great write up and pictures in Natl Dragster a few years back.

I was about 400 feet out when Herbert blew up. I never seen anything like it. The video does no justice for how big that explosion was. I had friends on both sides pretty close to the starting line, some dove for cover, and some froze becasue they could not believe what they saw.

I saw Betty Hoover in the pits after that run during the clean up, and she had a piece of Doug's blower land in front of their pit area. There was parts everywhere.

Paul, me and my Dad were at about 400ft as well, right on the fence (my Dad is a railbird). I will never forget the sound that car made when it went boom.

I heard a story in the pits later that night (probably apocryphal) that the barrel valve landed in the pits and a spectator sold it back to the team for $100 or $150. That image of the car going boom also made it into Sports Illustrated the following week.

That image of the car going boom also made it into Sports Illustrated the following week.

If only there was some way of adequately describing in words what an NHRA race is like in terms of sounds and smells, print magazines like SI would get the NHRA even more exposure than the exposure it gets on the news when there is a wreck or engine explosion.

I'd never seen this pic of Doug's car until today. Look at the injector being launched into low earth orbit.
99DHExp1.jpg

Dherbertbigwb.jpg

Anybody need a used barrel valve?

herbert_barrellv.jpg

I've never heard an explosion as loud as Dunn in the Hawaiian at the OCIR World Finals. I think the crank tripped the timers.

There was a reason the NHRA always made the Birkey Bunch car run last in a session. Their fireball at the (I believe) 1987 Finals at Pomona was epic. The concussion took a few moments to get to me and my buddy at the 1000' foot mark.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back