Encouraging Start@ Pomona (1 Viewer)

I expect that to happen every single time one of those bodies is lowered. Not sure why I'm so surprised on the rare occassion when it does happen. But man, that scared the crap out of me when it happened, and I was sitting on my couch. So glad nobody got hurt bad. For Robert to still have the concentration he had, is a testament to his focus. Great job considering he was shook up.

Thank goodness Austin Prock seems to have gotten his personality elsewhere. Maybe from his Mom? 😁

Speaking of Austin, I really wish he'd have won. Sorry, but nothing more needs to be said on that front.

Overall, it was a GREAT event. I really enjoyed watching it on NHRA.TV. There were some shots fired, for sure.
Probably a good time to consider putting a small bracket, rounded at the top, to keep the body from hitting the linkage.

Since I apparently started this I would like to weigh in. I did say Ron had bought the equipment from Don. I was told that was wrong, so I corrected myself. I always want to pass on the right information, and I'm not afraid to admit when I make a mistake. Ron in one of his interviews thanked Don for helping him make the transition. So they seem to still have a positive relationship.

Bob, what business are you in? When I was working for a construction company we leased equipment all the time. If we got a job that demanded a specific machine that we didn't use on a normal job, we would lease it. If we
determined that we could use it regularly we might buy one. Leasing gave us a chance to explore options before committing to one thing. Leasing equipment is a part of many businesses. Around here the local beer distributer leases all of his trucks from Penske, so does he not own the business?

I don't know or pretend to know the details of this particular deal. But I know of many instances where someone has to act quickly, and will lease what is needed to get started, buying time to make the best deals for the future.

If a truck costs $100 and I need one now! I can spend the $100 today. Or I can spend $10 to lease a truck, and shop for a better deal, perhaps even putting together a sponsor package where I get the truck for free, in exchange for putting the name on my racecar. Or where I get a truck for $50 and become a spokesperson for the company. But by leasing short term, I now have options.

Antron planned his move for a couple of years, he had time to consider all options and make the best decisions for his situation. Ron had to move quickly, without the luxury of time and seems to be keeping options open while he figures it out.

Strictly my opinion.
Alan

There is car and motor leasing and ride renting going on and it doesn't make any difference. You do whatever works for you to be able to race the best way possible.
Beyond that the race was some of the best in all 3 classes that we have seen in a long time and it's great to see some new competitive teams in all 3 PRO classes.

Last edited:
Because Alan reported he bought the team then corrected his claim! You had to watch NHRA.TV to understand.
He is leasing it! That means it doesn’t constitute owning it!
Do you actually believe that business owners don't actually lease a lot of the equipment they use to run their business? That really is how it often works form my 40 plus years of experience.

i know social media and nhra.tv play into total package of who views nhra content, i don't see TV network nhra telecasts going anywhere soon.
unfortunately sunday's late evening tape delay broadcast was not a winner.

i know social media and nhra.tv play into total package of who views nhra content, i don't see TV network nhra telecasts going anywhere soon.
unfortunately sunday's late evening tape delay broadcast was not a winner.
Well having the Daytona 500 on the same day was tough for sure, but having a 3 hour show start at 10 pm EST isn't a great way to get ratings. I'm sure we'll see better numbers at many races this year.

Since I apparently started this I would like to weigh in. I did say Ron had bought the equipment from Don. I was told that was wrong, so I corrected myself. I always want to pass on the right information, and I'm not afraid to admit when I make a mistake. Ron in one of his interviews thanked Don for helping him make the transition. So they seem to still have a positive relationship.

Bob, what business are you in? When I was working for a construction company we leased equipment all the time. If we got a job that demanded a specific machine that we didn't use on a normal job, we would lease it. If we
determined that we could use it regularly we might buy one. Leasing gave us a chance to explore options before committing to one thing. Leasing equipment is a part of many businesses. Around here the local beer distributer leases all of his trucks from Penske, so does he not own the business?

I don't know or pretend to know the details of this particular deal. But I know of many instances where someone has to act quickly, and will lease what is needed to get started, buying time to make the best deals for the future.

If a truck costs $100 and I need one now! I can spend the $100 today. Or I can spend $10 to lease a truck, and shop for a better deal, perhaps even putting together a sponsor package where I get the truck for free, in exchange for putting the name on my racecar. Or where I get a truck for $50 and become a spokesperson for the company. But by leasing short term, I now have options.

Alan
Many years ago I knew a guy in the Big construction business, like building Airforce bases, etc. He never owned any construction equipment.

Last edited:

Bob, what business are you in? When I was working for a construction company we leased equipment all the time. If we got a job that demanded a specific machine that we didn't use on a normal job, we would lease it. If we determined that we could use it regularly we might buy one. Leasing gave us a chance to explore options before committing to one thing. Leasing equipment is a part of many businesses. Around here the local beer distributer leases all of his trucks from Penske, so does he not own the business?

Antron planned his move for a couple of years, he had time to consider all options and make the best decisions for his situation. Ron had to move quickly, without the luxury of time and seems to be keeping options open while he figures it out.

Strictly my opinion.

Alan

Bob, what business are you in? When I was working for a construction company we leased equipment all the time. If we got a job that demanded a specific machine that we didn't use on a normal job, we would lease it. If we determined that we could use it regularly we might buy one. Leasing gave us a chance to explore options before committing to one thing. Leasing equipment is a part of many businesses. Around here the local beer distributer leases all of his trucks from Penske, so does he not own the business?

Strictly my opinion.

Alan

Strictly my opinion.
Alan

It's obvious it shouldn't take so many people to clarify the distinct difference of owning a team (business) and leasing (equipment) for the business. My only thought is that you say he had to act fast, why? Is there an unknown, underlining reason he had to leave DSR so hastily? I read an article a few months back and Don was a little taken aback by everybody leaving and starting their own teams at the same point in time. Maybe that has already been discussed, but I'm not privy to any answers in that regard.

Also, in tune with my finance background. The equipment he uses regularly should be purchased so it can be depreciated accordingly every tax year. He would be best to take out a loan with his sponsorship as a guarantee and purchase the equipment outright. Unless the lease agreement is unbelievably beneficial to him which I would doubt that it is especially given Don's acute business mind.

I noticed that Brittany's lights have improved drastically since last year. .077--.052--.047 at Pomona.
That’s the good news for her. Excellent job. The bad news is that her .077 which we used to say isn’t bad would not have beaten any of the other first round winners. 7 other cars had better lights. Which just means the competition is really fierce both from an et and rt perspective. Seems like the top 8 cars are even money to win any week. Used to be top 2 or 3. Her overall event was maybe her best outing. Better stay in the .050 range though. Best TF field in a long time. Go Brittany.

That’s the good news for her. Excellent job. The bad news is that her .077 which we used to say isn’t bad would not have beaten any of the other first round winners. 7 other cars had better lights. Which just means the competition is really fierce both from an et and rt perspective. Seems like the top 8 cars are even money to win any week. Used to be top 2 or 3. Her overall event was maybe her best outing. Better stay in the .050 range though. Best TF field in a long time. Go Brittany.
It is kind of a crapshoot here as how to figure out if it is her Motorskills or the Car getting that number. I do know on the Race Pak there is a way you can read how long it takes the car to move after the throttle arm moves and subtract it from the total reaction time to get her reaction time. Since the other team car (Austin) is so good if the Clutch setup - Barrel Valve - Pedal arrangement and chassis are pretty much the same it looks like it may be Brittney. The only way to tell would be to have her launch the car and then have Prock launch the car at the same place / time - same burnout to see. The fact that she is gaining in big chunks is great.

she didn't need a good light in E 1. Why press it?

It is kind of a crapshoot here as how to figure out if it is her Motorskills or the Car getting that number. I do know on the Race Pak there is a way you can read how long it takes the car to move after the throttle arm moves and subtract it from the total reaction time to get her reaction time. Since the other team car (Austin) is so good if the Clutch setup - Barrel Valve - Pedal arrangement and chassis are pretty much the same it looks like it may be Brittney. The only way to tell would be to have her launch the car and then have Prock launch the car at the same place / time - same burnout to see. The fact that she is gaining in big chunks is great.
Need to put one of those lights on the back like some Pro Stock guys have been doing

Do you actually believe that business owners don't actually lease a lot of the equipment they use to run their business? That really is how it often works form my 40 plus years of experience.
Duh! Only the real successful one’s own their equipment! Schumacher, Force, Connie, Torrance. They own not lease. Now count how many renters won the last 20 years! Everyone needs to stop getting their panties in a bunch for somebody pointing out the fact of the matter! Thanks to Don those guys have teams that’s all I’m saying and a shop to store them at. When I see their name on the side of the building I stand by it!

Strictly my opinion.
Alan
Retired! I’m 59 retired nine years ago! Commercial Refrigeration , and invested very well why do you ask? Need some investment advise? LOL

Duh! Only the real successful one’s own their equipment! Schumacher, Force, Connie, Torrance. They own not lease. Now count how many renters won the last 20 years! Everyone needs to stop getting their panties in a bunch for somebody pointing out the fact of the matter! Thanks to Don those guys have teams that’s all I’m saying and a shop to store them at. When I see their name on the side of the building I stand by it!
That's not the argument you started out with. You clearly stated that if a business owner leases the assets and equipment, that person doesn't own the business. Just in case you're not aware, a business owner don't necessarily have to own one penny's worth of physical assets in order to qualify as a business owner. That can mean a business such as a consultant or one where everything from the building to the hand sanitizer is leased. But to hear you explain it, Ron Capps is still nothing more than a driver for Don Schumacher.

This is a stupid ass argument from the moment it got started.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back