Drivers speak on shutdown areas (1 Viewer)

Christopher,

That is one of the few things that I agree with Bob on. Not many drivers come down to look at the far end until they make their first run. When I was racing, anytime I went to a new track I ALWAYS went down just to see where the turn-offs were and which way to go if I was in trouble. And I wasn't going anywhere near 300 mph.

Yes I am paid by NHRA. I have been doing this a long time and have watched more cars make runs than most people. I believe that I have a pretty fair understanding about how these cars work and what they do. I have worked as a crew member, I attend most of the test sessions, and I believe that my opinion is respected in the pits. I know what looks right and when something is strange. I have never driven a Nitro car. But, You don't have to be a world class chef to know when your steak is burned.

Alan

Although I am not qualified through experience or degree to comment, I have been around enough professions, some with standards and some without, to have an opinion.

I agree fully with the concept of standards in terms of track architecture, design, layout, construction, regulation, and standardized operations.

However, I also believe the ultimate responsibility for the decision to utilize any facility rests with the driver and team as to whether or not to run. just as many drivers pack their own chutes, even though there are standards written, it is ultimately the driver's responsibility to inspect the facility prior to utilizing it.

The occupation of drag racing at a competitive level, like any other professional undertaking, requires a measure of responsibility from the competitors in order to maintain and improve the standards of the sport and the safety of the people involved.

In my unsolicited opinion, every competitor shoudl fully inspect the racing surface from the staging lanes all the way through to the shutdown area and what may lay beyond. If anything is isolated as a potential problem, no matter how small or insignificant it may be, it needs to be brought to the attention of the sanctioning body immediately. Even the thought of "they won't listen" needs to be removed from everyone involved. It is the responsiblity of each competitor to bring every concern to the people who can implement change, from the condition of the water box, any bump in the surface, any obstacle of potential danger, any debris or any actions observed by spotters or personnel stationed in any area.

There are no second chances when something goes wrong. Even a lowly street car can turn toward the wall if a transmission line blows and the risks are amplified thousands of times as speed increases.

I know of nothing in this world that is perfect, and even the ISO specifications alow for accurately detailed mistakes to be made over and over again, but a standard of design and all it's subsets would be a good starting point for improving the safety and by virtue of that, all the other good things we want for drag racing.

Feelings will be raw for a long time. We have lost too many good people. I believe it is best to focus on solutions as a way of honoring and respecting those who have inspired this very debate.

There is absolutely nothing that is inherently "safe" when speaking of 300mph within a quarter mile, propelled by a massive grenade. Anything that any of us can do, whether we are simply spectators, fans, local racers, semi pro or professional racers... Whether we be architects, engineers, retail clerks, or assembly line workers... All of us may have something to contribute to providing a safer environment for the sport we all enjoy.

For us to come together I would ask that NHRA and IHRA together pool their resources as they both represent themselves as sanctioning bodies. They share a common interest and responsibility for defining and establishing standards for their member facilities and they provide an environment for like kind competition at the highest levels.

I would ask PRO to facilitate this joint effort and I would further ask PRO to enlist the help of people outside the direct business of drag racing such as architects, engineers, project management people, designers, contractors, and people from any profession which may bring value to this process.

I ask that this evalulation, assessment, strategic direction, goals and objectives, testing, implementation, and ongoing assessment happen at a professional level, with basic guidelines long established by other professional trade organizations, and be fast tracked into operational status and a timeline established with milestones to be met.

We literally have a "moving target" in terms of technology and performance variables to shape into policy. That policy will be the basic guidelines that will improve and enhance the safety of all concerned and by creating a safer platform we will encourage more participation in terms of competitors, spectators, fans, and the general public.

A apologize if I have stepped on any toes or have upset anyone with my opinion, but I firmly believe that any accident is one accident too many and when a life is claimed we all suffer the loss. We will never be able to prevent all tragedy, but working together we can greatly greatly reduce our loss.

As Eric Medlin inspired John Force to cornerstone safety improvements for the vehicles, perhaps our honoring of Scott Kalitta can inspire us all to look beyond attendance figures and market competition to become the foundation of track standards for our entire sport, in a multi sanctioning body effort and on a global scale, not simply in the USA.

Thank you for reading my opinion, unsolicited and unqualified as it may be.

although I Am Not Qualified Through Experience Or Degree To Comment, I Have Been Around Enough Professions, Some With Standards And Some Without, To Have An Opinion.

I Agree Fully With The Concept Of Standards In Terms Of Track Architecture, Design, Layout, Construction, Regulation, And Standardized Operations.

However, I Also Believe The Ultimate Responsibility For The Decision To Utilize Any Facility Rests With The Driver And Team As To Whether Or Not To Run. Just As Many Drivers Pack Their Own Chutes, Even Though There Are Standards Written, It Is Ultimately The Driver's Responsibility To Inspect The Facility Prior To Utilizing It.

The Occupation Of Drag Racing At A Competitive Level, Like Any Other Professional Undertaking, Requires A Measure Of Responsibility From The Competitors In Order To Maintain And Improve The Standards Of The Sport And The Safety Of The People Involved.

In My Unsolicited Opinion, Every Competitor Shoudl Fully Inspect The Racing Surface From The Staging Lanes All The Way Through To The Shutdown Area And What May Lay Beyond. If Anything Is Isolated As A Potential Problem, No Matter How Small Or Insignificant It May Be, It Needs To Be Brought To The Attention Of The Sanctioning Body Immediately. Even The Thought Of "they Won't Listen" Needs To Be Removed From Everyone Involved. It Is The Responsiblity Of Each Competitor To Bring Every Concern To The People Who Can Implement Change, From The Condition Of The Water Box, Any Bump In The Surface, Any Obstacle Of Potential Danger, Any Debris Or Any Actions Observed By Spotters Or Personnel Stationed In Any Area.

There Are No Second Chances When Something Goes Wrong. Even A Lowly Street Car Can Turn Toward The Wall If A Transmission Line Blows And The Risks Are Amplified Thousands Of Times As Speed Increases.

I Know Of Nothing In This World That Is Perfect, And Even The Iso Specifications Alow For Accurately Detailed Mistakes To Be Made Over And Over Again, But A Standard Of Design And All It's Subsets Would Be A Good Starting Point For Improving The Safety And By Virtue Of That, All The Other Good Things We Want For Drag Racing.

Feelings Will Be Raw For A Long Time. We Have Lost Too Many Good People. I Believe It Is Best To Focus On Solutions As A Way Of Honoring And Respecting Those Who Have Inspired This Very Debate.

There Is Absolutely Nothing That Is Inherently "safe" When Speaking Of 300mph Within A Quarter Mile, Propelled By A Massive Grenade. Anything That Any Of Us Can Do, Whether We Are Simply Spectators, Fans, Local Racers, Semi Pro Or Professional Racers... Whether We Be Architects, Engineers, Retail Clerks, Or Assembly Line Workers... All Of Us May Have Something To Contribute To Providing A Safer Environment For The Sport We All Enjoy.

For Us To Come Together I Would Ask That Nhra And Ihra Together Pool Their Resources As They Both Represent Themselves As Sanctioning Bodies. They Share A Common Interest And Responsibility For Defining And Establishing Standards For Their Member Facilities And They Provide An Environment For Like Kind Competition At The Highest Levels.

I Would Ask Pro To Facilitate This Joint Effort And I Would Further Ask Pro To Enlist The Help Of People Outside The Direct Business Of Drag Racing Such As Architects, Engineers, Project Management People, Designers, Contractors, And People From Any Profession Which May Bring Value To This Process.

I Ask That This Evalulation, Assessment, Strategic Direction, Goals And Objectives, Testing, Implementation, And Ongoing Assessment Happen At A Professional Level, With Basic Guidelines Long Established By Other Professional Trade Organizations, And Be Fast Tracked Into Operational Status And A Timeline Established With Milestones To Be Met.

We Literally Have A "moving Target" In Terms Of Technology And Performance Variables To Shape Into Policy. That Policy Will Be The Basic Guidelines That Will Improve And Enhance The Safety Of All Concerned And By Creating A Safer Platform We Will Encourage More Participation In Terms Of Competitors, Spectators, Fans, And The General Public.

A Apologize If I Have Stepped On Any Toes Or Have Upset Anyone With My Opinion, But I Firmly Believe That Any Accident Is One Accident Too Many And When A Life Is Claimed We All Suffer The Loss. We Will Never Be Able To Prevent All Tragedy, But Working Together We Can Greatly Greatly Reduce Our Loss.

As Eric Medlin Inspired John Force To Cornerstone Safety Improvements For The Vehicles, Perhaps Our Honoring Of Scott Kalitta Can Inspire Us All To Look Beyond Attendance Figures And Market Competition To Become The Foundation Of Track Standards For Our Entire Sport, In A Multi Sanctioning Body Effort And On A Global Scale, Not Simply In The Usa.

Thank You For Reading My Opinion, Unsolicited And Unqualified As It May Be.

Nice Post!!!!

That is one of the few things that I agree with Bob on. Not many drivers come down to look at the far end until they make their first run. When I was racing, anytime I went to a new track I ALWAYS went down just to see where the turn-offs were and which way to go if I was in trouble. And I wasn't going anywhere near 300 mph.

This is just silly. They have a scooter or a quad or golf cart, spend the ten minutes to look it over! Even if you've been there before, who knows what's changed this year, and it seems like such a ridiculously small investment of time -- to perhaps save your life...

Chris

PS -- Alan, I don't doubt your credentials to make comments here, in fact I applaud you for the input you do give. I don't understand the people here who want to decide who can comment based on seat time. Silly. As the saying goes: opinions are like a&%holes -- everybody has one and they all stink. :)

Christopher,

Yes I am paid by NHRA. I have been doing this a long time and have watched more cars make runs than most people. I believe that I have a pretty fair understanding about how these cars work and what they do. I have worked as a crew member, I attend most of the test sessions, and I believe that my opinion is respected in the pits. I know what looks right and when something is strange. I have never driven a Nitro car. But, You don't have to be a world class chef to know when your steak is burned.

Alan

Like I said some valid points! :eek:

This is probably the most important part:

<<< After all, Scelzi said he's been sending warnings for years and he feels no one bothers to listen.

"All anyone has to do is go back and look at all of the stories about the poles and scoreboards being away from the track to know that I've told them time and time again," Scelzi said. "My story has never changed for years. It just falls on deaf ears. That's about it and until all of us band together I don't see any cure for this. Everybody says we want to fix something, but we keep losing lives. I really don't see a fix in the future." >>>>

Hey NHRA, have you ever heard of the term "Vicarious liability"? Once you know about something that might be dangerous, and you don't do something to correct the problem, you are REALLY setting yourself up for a lawsuit.

A problem has been brought to your (NHRA) attention...do something about it.

Scott was absolutely conscience after the engine let go and he was driving the car until the last second.

Alan

Alan, I have to ask. How do you know this to be true? How would anyone know this? Does the Blue box have the ability to provide that kind of information? Just an honest question.

Since our UDRA/Div. 3 days, T.J. and I have made it a point to look at the top end of all race tracks. From tracks like Kilkare and Windy Hollow to Indy and Joliet.

Also, on Thursday evening or Friday morning, I walk the race track from startingline to finishline.

Any concerns are relayed to the team owner, driver and crewchief.

Alan, I have to ask. How do you know this to be true? How would anyone know this? Does the Blue box have the ability to provide that kind of information? Just an honest question.

At the risk of putting words in Alan's mouth, it's worth remembering that Alan was at the top end of the track at the shutdown waiting to do interviews and probably saw the car going by.

Since our UDRA/Div. 3 days, T.J. and I have made it a point to look at the top end of all race tracks. From tracks like Kilkare and Windy Hollow to Indy and Joliet.

Also, on Thursday evening or Friday morning, I walk the race track from startingline to finishline.

Any concerns are relayed to the team owner, driver and crewchief.

Frank Hawley told me to always walk the whole track.

Never to go on anything other than personal visual observation.

He mentioned a track, that he walked once, that at the very end, had a CLIFF:eek:

Truly, I cannot remember if he ran it or not, I seem to remember that he did, but shut off and had the laundry out very early.........way before the stripe.

REX

Glenn

I was there at the last turn just before the sand and I could see Scott moving in the car. I also spoke with Connie later and he said that watching the video from all angles he could see Scott driving the car. And there are front tire skid marks in the shut down area.

Alan

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back