Driver in Deadly Tennessee Drag-Racing Crash Charged With Vehicular Homicide, Assault (1 Viewer)

Re: Driver in Deadly Tennessee Drag-Racing Crash Charged With Vehicular Homicide, Ass

Wow. :(

Re: Driver in Deadly Tennessee Drag-Racing Crash Charged With Vehicular Homicide, Ass

and so it begins........

I hope Troy gets out of these charges... This is insane to charge him with any type of homicide over an "ACCIDENT"... This wasn't negligence, it was an error... I can only hope he is not convicted... Does anyone know what kind of time he could get if they find him guilty?

CJ Curtsinger

And unfortunately it is back to being a drag racing accident again--and not to belittle what happened to all of the victims, but it seems unfair to me for Troy to have to shoulder all the blame....

This is a no win situation either way. Yes it was an accident. Yes there was negligence. A ton of it to go around by many people involved. Assault is a bit of a stretch and probably won't hold up if challenged.

Jail time probably. Length will be determined on what he is ultimately convicted of and any previous criminal histories.

Tragic, awful circumstances that have severely impacted the lives of many, many people.

Lots of bad decision making here to go around. :(

Wasn't this the incident where the police roped off the street for the event? Gee, I wonder what the police will be charged with?

the roads were roped off... so if a car goes outta control and hits people at an nhra or ihra event,the driver is going to be charged? stupid..

Wasn't this the incident where the police roped off the street for the event? Gee, I wonder what the police will be charged with?

They'll prolly be given a medal for having the foresight to put the ropes up so more people weren't injured :rolleyes:

This sucks....i feel for all the families involved and for Troy...like was said earlier....this is a no win situation

thank you! thats been my thoughts. this was an ORGANIZED EVENT, that was supervised by the local police!. but in this day of ambulance chasers, someone is going to be the scapegoat. truly sucks for troy. hang in there my friend.

thank you! thats been my thoughts. this was an ORGANIZED EVENT, that was supervised by the local police!. but in this day of ambulance chasers, someone is going to be the scapegoat. truly sucks for troy. hang in there my friend.

There is more then enough blame to go around in this incident and I hope it is shared equally by all parties. The Police Department, the Mayor, the promoter and the driver. I'm sure he is devastated by what happened, however a professional driver should know better then to agree to do something like this, in my opinion. As I said, there is plenty of blame on the parts of all involved. No one is a 'scapegoat'. All were adults who made some bad decisions that day.

My prayers go out to Troy and his family and friends, as well as to those who lost loved ones in this horrific incident. This was truly a tragedy for all concerned.

Hard to rely on a poorly written headline or article....

....really have to read the charges. I do find it curious, however, ther were no other parties named criminally.
As stated above, plenty of negligence and poor risk management to go around, Troy is just the most obvious target. I doubt if this action will protect the city, state, the charitable organization or anybody else from financially ruinous lawsuits.
Be interesting to see who pays , how much and if payment will be proportionate to their negligence or merely their ability to pay. :confused:

No one wins in this situation.

And of course every headline will call this incident a "Drag Racing" one, even though their was no racing involved and it happened on a city street / state highway.

Re: Hard to rely on a poorly written headline or article....

....really have to read the charges. I do find it curious, however, ther were no other parties named criminally.
As stated above, plenty of negligence and poor risk management to go around, Troy is just the most obvious target. I doubt if this action will protect the city, state, the charitable organization or anybody else from financially ruinous lawsuits.
Be interesting to see who pays , how much and if payment will be proportionate to their negligence or merely their ability to pay. :confused:

I'm pretty sure the charges against the others will arise in Civil Court. If they don't, they should.

When this unfortunate incident happened, there was a video on one of the local newspaper's sites and it ended up on YouTube

YouTube - Drag Racing Crash Tragedy

There's quite a bit written about this accident in the 'about this video' drop down box

Last edited:

I hope Troy gets out of these charges... This is insane to charge him with any type of homicide over an "ACCIDENT"... This wasn't negligence, it was an error... I can only hope he is not convicted... Does anyone know what kind of time he could get if they find him guilty?

CJ Curtsinger

People are charged with vehicular homicide in many car accidents.

Anyone here have any idea how fast his car was going when he lost control and went into the crowd? I have seen the video and it looked quite fast. I feel as a pro driver he made a terrible judgement call to hold the throttle open as long as he did under the circumstances. If he would have done a 50 Ft. burnout and shut it off things would have been different. Haveing said that I hope we have seen the last of the burnouts in areas with no protection.
I feel sorry for the driver but feel more sorry for the people that were killed and injured and the loved ones left behind to grieve.
As was said before, There is enough blame by all partys involved in this tragedy to go around but the final decision came down to the person that had his foot on the throttle.:(

Man, no matter how this turns out, this will stick with Troy's emotions for the rest of his life. I don't know if that's enough punishment or not, but emotionally the guys got to be going through a lot. As well as the family members that were lost. Is a terrible event.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back