Drag Racing Is Not Dying (1 Viewer)

Your right drag racing is not dying it's just changing from the way it's always been.
It's natural that peoples interest change with time and we are seeing that in drag racing plus many other sports.

Jim Hill

Your right drag racing is not dying it's just changing from the way it's always been.
It's natural that peoples interest change with time and we are seeing that in drag racing plus many other sports.

Jim Hill
Couldn’t agree more. Think back to when racing was at its peak...match racing, cars with names, drivers with personalities that preceded them....that’s exactly what’s happening with the No Prep/Street Outlaws racing nowadays. We see these guys on TV but they spend the rest of their year barnstorming the country running matchraces and packing the house.

Couldn’t agree more. Think back to when racing was at its peak...match racing, cars with names, drivers with personalities that preceded them....that’s exactly what’s happening with the No Prep/Street Outlaws racing nowadays. We see these guys on TV but they spend the rest of their year barnstorming the country running matchraces and packing the house.
Pete DeVita:

It's interesting that drag racing appears to be going in many new directions right now.

The street racing show has added a much different look and kind of moving away from NHRA style drag racing only on sectioned tracks and now with many groups charging much higher entry fees to fund the pay-out we see another way forward for drag racing without looking for sponsors.

The racers who run pro-stock and win a National Event and don't get paid very much money now have another way of making more money running these special events which are paying a lot more money.

This may all end up changing the way the NHRA runs their shows down the road.

In my opinion the different forms of drag racing going make it more interesting than just having one or two sectioning bodies running all the shows.
It is also giving the racers more choices of where to race.

Who would have ever thought you could make more money in street racing than at national events.

Jim Hill

The street racing show has added a much different look and kind of moving away from NHRA style drag racing only on sectioned tracks and now with many groups charging much higher entry fees to fund the pay-out we see another way forward for drag racing without looking for sponsors.

The racers who run pro-stock and win a National Event and don't get paid very much money now have another way of making more money running these special events which are paying a lot more money.

This may all end up changing the way the NHRA runs their shows down the road.

I don’t think that will change the NHRA. They have an income stream (spectators and sponsorship) that can be turned into prize money.
I do think the big prize money payouts being funded entirely by competitors is something of a dead end when it comes to pro racing, because it dampens efforts to find other income streams. It also steepens the entry point for newcomers.

Back to the subject, I agree with the original poster. There’s a lot of great events going on, and still to come in drag racing. There’s more Pro Mod series than you can shake a stick at, there’s a genuine series for Fuel Altereds, Funny Cars are going through a resurgence, the NHRA will always be the mainstream show it has always been, and there’s a huge bracket racing scene if you want to race on a budget.
One thing I’m genuinely sick of reading on social media (and occasionally here) is posts with a toxic political bent claiming because we have a different party in charge the whole sport is going to collapse. If the sport were so susceptible to political winds changing (and I don’t think it is), then it is us to blame.

One thing I’m genuinely sick of reading on social media (and occasionally here) is posts with a toxic political bent claiming because we have a different party in charge the whole sport is going to collapse. If the sport were so susceptible to political winds changing (and I don’t think it is), then it is us to blame.

I couldn't agree more. People need to get out of their Facebook/Twitter echo chambers -or- stop believing absolutely everything they read on social media. They need to get off their couch and get out into the real world with us "regular folks". They will see most things are OK and everything else is hype/bullsh!t/fear mongering/pandering. The sky is not falling, your World will not end because of whomever is sitting in DC.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back