Don't let Wendys trick you..... (1 Viewer)

Nitrohaulic

Nitro Member
A few weeks ago I was at the Wendy's in the Pilot travel plaza in Milford, CT. I ordered a meal by the number. The cashier asks "Medium or large?" I know a lot of places refer to their small as medium now, so I say medium. Then I notice that the total is a little more than it should have been. When I asked her about it, she said "You upsized it." I said "No, you gave me two choices." They DO have a small.

Last week I was in the same Wendys, different cashier. Same deal. I order, she asks "Medium or large?" I ask "Is that all you have?" She actually leaned over toward me and said "We're not allowed to say small." I said "Well, I think it's dishonest when you do that." Got an attitude and nothing but hard stares from her from then on (like I care).

When I went back up for a Frosty, a guy right next to me fell for her "medium" question. After he ordered, I loudly asked him "You know you just upsized your order, don't you? The guy said "No, I didn't." I said "Yes, you did" and explained to him (and everyone else there) how she just tricked him. He was p*ssed! This may seem like a small thing, but it just gets me that they're preying on their customers' trust.

Besides complaining to that manager (who I'm sure really cared), and the manager of the plaza (who said that did fall under him), I went to Wendy's website letting them know how this obvious stealing is going on in one of their stores, and also letting them know how I intend to see if there's any kind of agency in that state who's job it is to protect consumers from something like this.

Now, yesterday I stop into a Wendys in Manchester, CT. Same d*mn thing! Now I'm wondering from just how high up this little trick has originated. A regional thing, or a national one? Just seems to me that asking you "Medium or large" is implying that that's all they have. I know that tactics such as "bait and switch" were important enough that they taught us about it when I was a kid, and to report it when you see it.

You'd think after the chili fiasco, (which I actually sympathized for them over) they wouldn't be pulling something like this.

I haven't been to a Wendy's since my neighbors Raccoon stole my truck and plowed into a Wendy's Restraurant! Can you believe they tried to blame me????:p :p :p

I haven't been to a Wendy's since my neighbors Raccoon stole my truck and plowed into a Wendy's Restraurant! Can you believe they tried to blame me????:p :p :p

Wait a minute! Your neighbors raccoon stole your truck and crashed into a Wendy's and they blamed YOU? And you feel that's wrong so you don't go to Wendy's any more? Who got to keep the talented raccoon? That's the most hilarious thing I read here since I joined. I gotta come to the lounge more often, or get me a raccoon. Good one Joe. Ya want a medium or large?:D

To paraphrase Joe Pesci in Lethal Weapon 2, "They F*(# YOU at the drive-thru, okay? They F*(# YOU at the drive-thru! They know you're gonna be miles away before you find out you got F*(# ed! They know you're not gonna turn around and go back, they don't care. So who gets F*(# ed? Ol' Ron Dunlap! Okay, sure! I don't give a F*(# ! I'm not eating this Wendys, okay?"

I went to Wendy's website letting them know how this obvious stealing is going on in one of their stores, and also letting them know how I intend to see if there's any kind of agency in that state who's job it is to protect consumers from something like this.

Did you get a response from their corporate office?

I had a beef <grin> with them about a year ago when they ran a free airline ticket promotion that accumulated credits with the purchase of any meal. The offer didn't exclude breakfast but the store employees would give me a hassle every time I requested the 'proof of purchase'.

I contacted the corporate office by telephone and was told to expect a call from a district manager. After approximately a week without that call I phoned the office again to express the disappointment with Wendys follow through and that call generated the promised district manager contact, a free meal certificate, and a directive to store employees that all breakfast customers were to receive the same 'perks' as lunch and dinner customers.

Try the toll free number. They do appear to care about resolving customer issues.

i make it a point to never get in an argument with people who handle my food, and i think yall know why! :eek:

Did you get a response from their corporate office?

I had a beef <grin> with them about a year ago when they ran a free airline ticket promotion that accumulated credits with the purchase of any meal. The offer didn't exclude breakfast but the store employees would give me a hassle every time I requested the 'proof of purchase'.

I contacted the corporate office by telephone and was told to expect a call from a district manager. After approximately a week without that call I phoned the office again to express the disappointment with Wendys follow through and that call generated the promised district manager contact, a free meal certificate, and a directive to store employees that all breakfast customers were to receive the same 'perks' as lunch and dinner customers.

Try the toll free number. They do appear to care about resolving customer issues.

No, I haven't heard a thing back yet. I'll try that. Since the exact same thing happened at two stores within 50 miles of each other, I don't even trust their regional people. I just wonder how many extra dollars they're raking in every day on this by selling something to people that they didn't intend to buy?

I worked for ten years at McDonald's and worked with Ray Krock during the last two years. Things have changed, but at that time, I had nothing but respect for McDonald's standards. Took my profit sharing and left because the only option for a promotion was to move to Chicago.
On to Wendy's . . . I moved to Phoenix to look for a business to buy and briefly worked for Wendy's as Management Trainer. After seeing what was going on with quality issues and meeting Dave Thomas, I quit in disgust and sold building supplies until I bought the printing business.
The Wendy's corporate employees I dealt with treated employees like dirt and were only concerned with the bottom line. Doesn't sound like things have changed. Hell will freeze over before I ever eat there again - :mad:

I went today and they asked if I wanted a small, medium, or large frosty.

They did ask if I wanted the value fry, medium, or biggie.

I asked for the 'extra hot' chile, and the girl told me "Yeah, that's a joke"
:)

Re: Don't let Wendy's trick you.....

It's only one man's opinion, but why even eat there any more? There are far too many options for fast food to suffer through untrained personnel, inept management, an absence of customer service and generally crappy food options. Wendy's has all of the aforementioned and I have no use for them nor have I for years. I use competition to my advantage and make myself clear when it's time to say good-by. I ate at Burger King two days a week for lunch until I learned (from a Jack-in-the-Box commercial) that they were a British corporation. I've never entered their doors since as a result of a little fetish of mine about England. It's a personal choice but I can guarantee with six kids, it's cost them tens of thousands of dollars over the past decade from our past routine. My kids won't go there either and they now have their own families.

Life's too short to patronize unfit business. Just stop!
And, let them know why on the way out!

Re: Don't let Wendy's trick you.....

It's a personal choice but I can guarantee with six kids, it's cost them tens of thousands of dollars over the past decade from our past routine. My kids won't go there either and they now have their own families.

I read it my marketing book that the average lifetime value of a Taco Bell customer is over $12,000.

I'd much rather spend my money at In-N-Out!!!

Have you seen the movie Super Size Me?
I watched it recently and the guy ate McD's for all 3 meals a day for a month.
Damn near killed himself!!!! It was sickening seeing the blood tests results and weight gain.

The dvd extra interviews were informative also. The author of Fast Food Nation was one of them.

It's amazing hearing about how one burger can have meat from thousands of cows,cows and pigs that are standing in and eating each others crap-Way more than "normal" farming-feeding the leftover animal parts to the chickens etc etc etc.The animals are not let out at all just standing there eating and crapping stuffed in a huge warehouse.

I havent been to any fast food chains in years-way before the movie came out.
I mean you can taste that sh*t all day!!!

I'm absolutely no PETA member - love my steak and burgers etc.
But it is disgusting how and where these places get their products.

Oh yeah, they left some McD's fries out for like a week in the movie,and they never changed appearance-sp

No Thanks

Later

Last edited:
Four weeks ago we got the cabinet loads back that we lost in March of last year when the housing market dropped (hoping that's a good sign for the rest of the economy). It's quite often I end up in that Pilot at the end of the day, usually once a week now. I'll probably do what some of you are suggesting and just start going to the Cracker Barrel across the street (already eat the country boy breakfast there..."Yes, ma'am, I really DO want the grits!"...LOL). For whatever this makes me look like, it's FUNNY watching northeasterners in there for the first time, sometimes. "Can I get this instead of that, and that instead of this?" I'm thinking "Why the hell did you come to Cracker Barrel? There's a diner on every corner." :D

The northeast has very few truckstops as real estate's at a premium, which really limits your options for parking a truck. A friend of mine on another board in CT said he drove to the midwest a few years ago and couldn't BELIEVE what truckstops, etc, looked like in the rest of the country where there was more room to develop. A LOT of Walmarts in CT are still regular ones, not the Supercenters.

At first I had to believe that this was just a local thing at this Wendys, that there's no way they'd actually teach this method of tricking their customers from the corporate level on down. Now I'm really starting to wonder. I usually don't even eat in fast food places more than once or twice a month, except for the last few weeks just because of where I've ended up at the end of a day.

Well, at least those of you who do eat there now know to watch for this little act of dishonesty that takes place in at least two of them. It's the principle of the fact that they're knowingly deceiving their customers as much as it is the few extra pennies.

Last edited:
Hey Joe--The racoon says you shouldn't leave the keys in your truck. Besides, he ordered a vanilla frosty and they gave him a chocolate. Says he just lost his temper....:D :D :D

I had the same thing happen to me at a Wendy's at a Pilot Truck Stop in Lodi, OH. I have never had it happen at the 2 locals, but they got me at that one.

You know just about every retail outfit does this, its called suggestive selling. When I worked for CSK in the late 80's we were constantly harped on to sugestive sell. Say you come in for an oil filter the folks are supposed to ask you if need a filter wrench or shop towels etc, and it does work. Now that's a little more above board but its the same thing, that's why every fast food joint asks you if want supersize or do you want fries with that. That being said I would drive by a Wendy's to hit In-n-Out or Jack in the Box. As a random note if you ever get to Thailand hit KFC, they give you your food on a plate, drink in a glass and real metal flatware.

S/F
D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back