Digging through some old photos. Talk about a major boomer. (1 Viewer)

TSK

Staff member
Nitro Member
I was looking through my closet trying to find my old Sansui receiver/amplifier that has been hidden away for too many years, and I came across a folder with these two pictures.
I shot them at the 1999 race at Ennis. Eddie Hill tossed the engine out of the car on this blast. The heat wave from the explosion took me completely by surprise. I've seen a lot of explosions but have never felt the heat like I did for Hill's boomer. I was at least 150 yards from the car when it erupted.
I went into the pits after the explosion when Hill's support rig brought the engine, what was left of it, in the back of the truck. It was just a pile of shattered aluminum.
Anyway, I'm up late because my Razorbacks just won their game against Vermont in the NCAA basketball tournament and, even though I'm on my second glass of Blanton's Kentucky bourbon, I am still too wound up to go to bed. So, I thought I'd post the pictures.
Eddie Hill 1.jpeg
Eddie Hill 2.jpeg

I remember sitting in the top end stands at Orange County one year, maybe 1972. Back motor car came thru the lights & blew the motor. Long trail of flame from the engine, and I could feel the heat. Was surprised it was that hot, and thought "am glad that is not a front motor car". I was probably about the same distance from the track that you were Ted.

The sad thing about that boomer by Hill was that it was apparently caused by a defective engine block that should never have been sold to him.

As far as the heat felt in the stands, I remember in Seattle in 1992, Danielle Deporter in the Exide Top Fueler blew up at about 1000' where we were sitting and we could feel the heat on our faces. Pretty amazing .

Ray, come about 7:40 pm CDT on Saturday, the winding up will commence when the Hogs take on New Mexico State, who beat UConn yesterday.
I'll look forward to seeing your entire collection. ;)

Award winning photos Ted.
Every photo I have seen with your copyright. 👍👍

Go Hogs

Thanks for the kind words Ray.
As far as my entire collection of racing photos, it will take me forever and a day to get them all cataloged.

One of these days, if we ever meet at a race, I’ll teach you to do a Hog call.

I know it would Ted.

Beautiful day today to get started ... 🙃
Not today, unfortunately.
My wife and I are heading to Northwest Arkansas in a couple of minutes.
We are going to watch the #3 Razorbacks baseball team play Kentucky this weekend.
Plus it’s our daughter’s 30th birthday and our 37th anniversary.

My friend, the late Wayne Bailey - had a big blast at the Motorplex once. I went to see the remains afterwards and the engine block was in a scrap pile; and I have to tell you, no piece in that pile was bigger than a softball. If I remember right, the block had just been repaired by Rehr-Morrison - they picked it up on the way to the track…. But they figured out the actual repaired portion stayed intact.

Not today, unfortunately.
My wife and I are heading to Northwest Arkansas in a couple of minutes.
We are going to watch the #3 Razorbacks baseball team play Kentucky this weekend.
Plus it’s our daughter’s 30th birthday and our 37th anniversary.
That's ok Ted. I am very patient most days. ;)

Have a great weekend, and Congratulations on #37, and 30.
🥳

Last edited:
- 19 days later on nov. 12th, the car in the other lane grenaded the motor on starting line in pomona. 2nd rnd. of Q. think that changed rule to no more 100% nitro.
- in 1999 the month of october had 4 races leading up to finals at pomona......topeka, memphis, ennis, houston
- oct. 11th, 1999 at memphis, gene snow hydrauliced at motor in pit area.
- 25 TF cars on property for finals in 1999. scelzi over doug kalitta in big bud shootout final for $100k.
- thank you drc for your great archives.

I was looking through my closet trying to find my old Sansui receiver/amplifier that has been hidden away for too many years, and I came across a folder with these two pictures.
I shot them at the 1999 race at Ennis. Eddie Hill tossed the engine out of the car on this blast. The heat wave from the explosion took me completely by surprise. I've seen a lot of explosions but have never felt the heat like I did for Hill's boomer. I was at least 150 yards from the car when it erupted.
I went into the pits after the explosion when Hill's support rig brought the engine, what was left of it, in the back of the truck. It was just a pile of shattered aluminum.
Anyway, I'm up late because my Razorbacks just won their game against Vermont in the NCAA basketball tournament and, even though I'm on my second glass of Blanton's Kentucky bourbon, I am still too wound up to go to bed. So, I thought I'd post the pictures.
View attachment 10163
View attachment 10164

Mark Kinsella ended up buying a lot of the Hill operation. A couple years later at E-Town in that exact same car, he had an engine explosion just as bad if not worse. The complete bellhousing with clutch, motor plate, and back section of the crankshaft with rods still attached exited the car and was bouncing down the shut down area. The block was said to be from the same batch as Hill's.

Mark Kinsella ended up buying a lot of the Hill operation. A couple years later at E-Town in that exact same car, he had an engine explosion just as bad if not worse. The complete bellhousing with clutch, motor plate, and back section of the crankshaft with rods still attached exited the car and was bouncing down the shut down area. The block was said to be from the same batch as Hill's.
From the late Gil Rebilas.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back