DEJORIA SURVIVES ANOTHER ROKiT RIDE (1 Viewer)

For Immediate Release
DEJORIA SURVIVES ANOTHER ROKiT RIDE

Former U.S. Nationals Champ Out in Second Round at AAA Texas Fall Nationals

ENNIS, Texas (Dallas-Ft. Worth) – Alexis DeJoria emerged unscathed from an engine fire that burned her ROKiT Phones/ABK Beer Toyota Camry to the ground Sunday at the Texas Motorplex during the 35th running of a AAA Texas Fall Nationals event in which she earlier made her quickest run of the new season.

After qualifying No. 5 at 3.895 seconds with a finish line speed of 325.85 miles per hour on Saturday, a not-so-funny thing happened to the former U.S. Nationals champion on her way to a first round win Sunday over veteran Gary Densham.

As her black-and-red Camry neared the finish line, crew chief Del Worsham was able to determine that two connecting rods failed in the 11,000 horsepower engine. That started a fire that spread to the carbon fiber body and eventually engulfed both DeJoria and the car in thick, black smoke that forced her to exit through the roof hatch for the second time in as many NHRA events.

“There was not much of a warning except (for) some sparks,” DeJoria said. “I couldn’t see anything (once the body caught fire). I popped my head up (through the roof hatch) and put my foot on the brake handle to try and get it stopped. Then I saw a Safety Safari guy (a member of the NHRA’s safety team) and I did a Dirty Dancing move and just threw my arms out and jumped.”

After being checked out by the medical staff and getting a little oxygen, DeJoria shook off the effects and climbed back into the cockpit of a backup car for a second round match with former world champion Ron Capps which, unfortunately, had a negative result with the ROKiT Camry losing traction almost as soon as she hit the throttle.

“Unfortunately, we ruined another car,” she said of the day “We’re just having some gremlins but we’ll work them out and no matter what happens, it’s always a better day when you’re at the drag races.”

Coming on the heels of a supercharger explosion that destroyed an identical carbon fiber Camry in the second round of the Midwest Nationals at St. Louis two weeks earlier, Sunday’s incident was particularly perplexing to Worsham, the two-time world champion who co-owns DC Motorsports with DeJoria, and to his cohort, veteran tuner Nicky Boninfante, who will spend the week trying to determine if there is a recurring internal problem or if the two were isolated incidents.

“Sorry about the mess. It was a little crazy,” DeJoria told FOX Sports when she was interviewed after being extricated from the fire. “The whole cockpit filled with smoke. That thing burned to the ground.”

Despite Sunday’s incident, the five-time tour winner still was able to focus on the positive, noting that because of the earlier situation in St. Louis, the team was better prepared this time to go immediately to a backup car.

DeJoria moves on to Houston in eighth place in Camping World driver points, 64 ahead of Paul Lee and 80 in front of two-time world champion Cruz Pedregon.

The ROKiT Report with Alexis DeJoria
Driver of the ROKiT Phones/ABK Beer/Lucas Oil Toyota Camry Funny Car

Event: 35th annual AAA Texas FalllNationals
Site: The Texas Motorplex, Ennis, Texas (Dallas-Ft. Worth)
Qualifying position: No. 5 at 3.895 seconds, 325.85 miles per hour.
Qualifying bonus points: None.

Race day results: Round 1, Alexis DeJoria, 4.089 seconds, 273.22 mph, def. Gary Densham, 4.699 seconds, 186.61 mph; Quarterfinals, Alexis DeJoria, 11.211 seconds, 76.74 miles per hour, lost to Ron Capps, 3.903 seconds, 327.35 mph.
Perspective: Alexis made her quickest run since returning to competition after a two-year absence when she stopped the 1,000 foot timers in 3.895 seconds.

2020 AAA Texas FallNationals
Final Round Results:

FUNNY CAR – Jack Beckman def. Matt Hagan.
TOP FUEL – Steve Torrence def. Billy Torrence

PRO STOCK – Matt Hartford def. Greg Anderson.

Current Funny Car Driver Standings
(After nine of 11 events)

1. Matt Hagan, Christiansburg, Va., Mopar/Pennzoil Dodge 762
2. Jack Beckman, Norco, Calif., Infinite Hero Dodge 758
3.Tommy Johnson Jr., Avon, Ind., M.D. Anderson Hospital Dodge 685
4. Ron Capps, Carlsbad, Calif., NAPA Dodge 588
7. Bob Tasca III, Cranston, R.I., Motorcraft/Quick Lane Ford 538
5. Tim Wilkerson, Springfield, Ill., Levi, Ray & Shoup Ford 538
6. J.R. Todd, Indianapolis, Ind., DHL Toyota 526
8. Alexis DeJoria, Austin, Texas, ROKiT/ABK Beer Toyota Camry 414
9. Paul Lee, Orange, Calif., FTI/Global Electronic Technology Dodge 351
10. Cruz Pedregon, Brownsburg, Ind., Snap-on Tools Dodge 335