Darryl Jackman passes (1 Viewer)

As a long time (Irwindale) friend, admirer and co-worker, I'm very saddened to hear of the news about Darryl. I always enjoyed the all too infrequent times we could compare stories at the races.

Kevin,

I think a lot of us feel close to Darryl, especially guys that knew him. In the old days on Compuserve, he was our "pipeline" to round by round coverage.

I didn't think anything of your posts, but then again, this is the internet and it's kinda hard to see expressions on here. Let's just be cool and let things go guys. Let's honor Darryl by not arguing on his thread.

Gary

Gary, thanks for the kind words. All I was doing was making a simple statement that I had never heard of this person. Wasn't trying in any way to be disrespectful. Just making a general comment. I wasn't looking or trying to start an argument. I didn't realize that one was not allowed to make comments about other individuals those living or not?!?!?!

Kevin,

I think a lot of us feel close to Darryl, especially guys that knew him. In the old days on Compuserve, he was our "pipeline" to round by round coverage.

Gary

Compuserve RIS (Racing Information Systems). I used to run the RIS decal on my TA/FC 15 or so years ago. Sure was a lot cheaper than calling Big Mac on the "Castrol GTX Pipeline" and paying $$$ per minute for the latest info on who won that day. Now with Drag Race Central and ESPN2 people have no idea what it used to be like before Mike Hollander, Darryl Jackman, Ed Dykes, Dave Gerrard, etc., came along and started reporting on the internet.

HMLOGO.gif

Darryl was a stand up guy. We're going to miss him.

RG

Last edited:
Gary, thanks for the kind words. All I was doing was making a simple statement that I had never heard of this person. Wasn't trying in any way to be disrespectful. Just making a general comment. I wasn't looking or trying to start an argument. I didn't realize that one was not allowed to make comments about other individuals those living or not?!?!?!

Perhaps if you weren't posting in a 36-point red italics font, you might not seem like you're shouting so much, as well. Just a thought...

Don't knock the large type face...helps old guys see it a lot better. Yes, it may mean shouting to some....for me, I don't have to wonder where I left my glasses or enlarge the screen!!! All CAPS = shouting.

MaC

Don't knock the large type face...helps old guys see it a lot better. Yes, it may mean shouting to some....for me, I don't have to wonder where I left my glasses or enlarge the screen!!! All CAPS = shouting.

MaC

Glad to see someone else needs glasses to read the fine print.

Dave, what year(s) were the Castrol GTX hotline results. Were they pre CIS/RIS days? I was trying to remember while I was also trying to remember where I put my glasses.

You know the old saying..."The older I get the better I was."

Jeez Randy, that had to be in the late 80's.... Maybe 87-88? I ran up quite the phone bill checking race results.... Thank goodness for the internet.:D

Jeez Randy, that had to be in the late 80's.... Maybe 87-88? I ran up quite the phone bill checking race results.... Thank goodness for the internet.:D

Ahh yes the good ol days.. Who can't forget 1-900 (HOT) 468-(NHRA) 6472! Every time you called you head the voice of Drag Racing.. Mr. Dave McClelland!!!:):)

Now with Drag Race Central and ESPN2 people have no idea what it used to be like before Mike Hollander, Darryl Jackman, Ed Dykes, Dave Gerrard, etc., came along and started reporting on the internet.

What a lot of people don't realize is that back in the Compuserve days, every one of us who reported on races did it on a volunteer basis. We were not even reimbursed for our expenses.

Even now, we give up a lot of our time to get results on Drag Race Central. I just finished up a streak of seven consecutive weekends working for DRC ... all while working at my regular job on the rest of the days.

So, perhaps I am being a bit oversensitive, but when I see a dismissive message -- posted in large red letters -- about a deceased colleague, I can get upset. Now, that's it.

Jim

Big Mac used to accuse me of being the reason his Grandkids were shoeless. It was the late eighties, back when "almost-live" coverage was picking up followers on CompuServe.

Steering this thread back to the groove...

In Darryl's absence, I will be covering the CHRR this weekend. We had hoped that medical treatment would allow Darryl to continue covering the only race he really looked forward to doing every year, but a late diagnosis of pancreatic cancer, complicated by bleeding ulcers, dashed those hopes and we lost him at the relatively young age of 61.

So we are sending in "the second team" this weekend, in Darryl's memory. We will miss Darryl and we will miss his unique insight into the Heritage Series - he was at almost all of the prior CHRR events (this will be CHRR XVIII) and it will be my first.

Godspeed, Darryl, I'll do my best to continue your tradition and you will be in my heart all weekend.

- Larry Sullivan

Randy, you never ran quicker or faster than you did 20 years ago....at least that's how the performances improve with the telling of the stories and age!!!!!!!!

You and Larry S. hit the time frame...the late '80's. It was a service provided by NHRA...with me as the reporter. As more info became available on the net and TV...thanks Larry S.!!!!!!!!!!...the numbers began to decline to where it was not feasible to continue. It provided up to date info in a timely manner...something that had been requested by a large number of fans. Again, remember the current internet structure was nowhere near what it is today...nor was there the live audiocast from each event.

It's amazing how many people still bring up the Castrol GTX hot line to me when we meet.

Like so many others, Darryl was a friend that truly loved this sport.

Look forward to seeing everyone at the Reunion.

MaC

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back