Darryl Jackman passes (1 Viewer)

Jim

Nitro Member
From Drag Race Central:

Darryl was one of the pioneers in internet reporting of drag racing events, when he joined Mike Hollander's Motorsports Forum on the old CompuServe network. He later transitioned to Ed Dykes' FastNews Network and provided many years of reporting on West Coast racing.

-----------------

Indeed, Darryl was one of the guys who stepped-up when folks were passing-the-hat to ensure coverage of national events.

I never met Darryl - God Speed!

I had the pleasure of meeting Darryl years ago at Eagle Raceway (a slot car track in Lakewood, Ca). He was always good for a smile and a few tidbits about what was going on in the NHRA world.

Darrel is now probably reporting all of the qualifying passes and elimination rounds in heaven. Godspeed Darryl and rest in peace. :(

There is another thread in the Lounge forum where sentiments are posted about what a neat human being Darryl was.

Then there is this:

dsc01181.jpg

The Little Lizard is surprised and sadened to hear that Drag Racing Internet Pioneer Darryl Jackman has passsed, Dragcentral.com his employeer has an offical announcement, at web page

Darryl Jackman Passes

On a personal note, the Little Lizard on numerous occasions chatted back and forth with Darryl over the years. He was always friendly, helpful and passionate about what he did, reporting Drag Racing to us. He did it in a way and style that I will always remember fondly and with great admiration. Thanks for reporting to us Darryl, friend you will be missed by the racing community. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Darryl Jackman at this time.

:(

Last edited:
Oh no! :(
I always would read his racing reports on DRC. Always looked for his name in the upper left corner.
He posted here a bunch too!

I had always intended to introduce myself in person to him in the booth at Famoso Bakersfield to thank him for his work and for putting it online for us to read.

Thanx Darryl, for your work and rest in peace, sorry I didn't get to thank you in person.

I met Darryl at (then) Phoenix Raceway Park in about 1995 or 1996. I was announcing and running the computers and he was covering the race. What a cool man. I remember the hard time he had getting up the stairs to the top of the tower, but he made it. Years later I saw him at the CSK race at Firebird. He was a new man. He forgot more about the sport we love that most of us will ever know. God Speed Darryl, and thank you for always putting a smile on my face.

I have been involved in drag racing since I went to my first race in 1972 at age of 4 in Columbus, OH. I have NEVER even heard of this guy!?!?! Sorry he has passed on. But don't have a CLUE of who he was or what the did for the sport of drag racing!!!

I never got to meet him but I've read a fair share of his stuff over the years. RIP, Darryl. :(

I have been involved in drag racing since I went to my first race in 1972 at age of 4 in Columbus, OH. I have NEVER even heard of this guy!?!?! Sorry he has passed on. But don't have a CLUE of who he was or what the did for the sport of drag racing!!!

Kevin, if you've ever read the results on Drag Race Central.com, chances are you've read some of his work (Not sure if he travelled to all the races, but pretty sure he did the west coast ones).

Kevin, if you've ever read the results on Drag Race Central.com, chances are you've read some of his work (Not sure if he traveled to all the races, but pretty sure he did the west coast ones).

I check Drag Race Central daily. Mainly for results. I do read Bob Frey's stories all the time. Whatever he did for the web-site isn't really jumping out at me. Sorry to hear that he passed. I can honestly say I have never heard of the guy...

I check Drag Race Central daily. Mainly for results. I do read Bob Frey's stories all the time. Whatever he did for the web-site isn't really jumping out at me. Sorry to hear that he passed. I can honestly say I have never heard of the guy...

Well, back in the day (maybe 10 years ago) we didn't have real-time Drag Racing reports.
Guys like Ed Dykes and Larry Sullivan were pioneers bringing round-by-round results (and insights) to "the folks" . Darryl was one on the early guys who went to races (on his own dime, I'm certain) and got the news to us. Without Ed, and Larry and guys like Darryl (who did it for no other reason than love of the sport) we might not have arrived where we are today. Certainly not as quickly.

I guess some folks don't realize that we didn't always have Audiocast, or Drag Race Central, or same day NHRA coverage. I hate to sound like an old goat but, some appreciation might be in order.

You've probably read some of his reports then. Darryl was one of the guys that wrote the round by round, racer by racer results thats on DRC. Like Jim said, back in the olden days, guys like Darryl, Ed Dykes and Larry Sullivan were the pipeline into race results. I remember using up a lot of time on the internet waiting for those results.....

Name calling that is really rich.. Is that all you got????

Kevin...

Darryl gave a lot to this sport. Many fans around the world have been able to get results quickly thanks to the work he did with DRC. And to those who don't know, before DRC there was the Motorsports Forum on CompuServe. Darryl, Larry Sullivan, Rick Green and a bunch of others all covered drag racing and other motorsports on a volunteer basis, with no payment at all. Thanks to the late Ed Dykes, the drag racing component of CompuServe evolved in Drag Race Central.

If you were not familiar with Darryl's name, a polite question asking who he was would have been fine. But instead, you had to come off as an oaf who showed no respect to Darryl's memory because you are ignorant of the man and what he has done. Your first post, and your subsequent posts, show more about you than you realize.

Jim

Kevin,

I think a lot of us feel close to Darryl, especially guys that knew him. In the old days on Compuserve, he was our "pipeline" to round by round coverage.

I didn't think anything of your posts, but then again, this is the internet and it's kinda hard to see expressions on here. Let's just be cool and let things go guys. Let's honor Darryl by not arguing on his thread.

Gary

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back