Dale Armstrong's Plan (1 Viewer)

Great interview Bobby. This sounds like a simple, cost effective solution to slowing these beasts down. The ground work has already been established and just needs some tweaking. These changes could be implemented for next season if the crewchiefs don't viamently oppose it. No one likes to start with a clean sheet of paper when they have so much proven data with an established combo(probably the reason it was initially shot down). But everyone needs to swallow the safety pill and move on. I still think the 1000 ft may need to stay. A little testing would answer a lot of questions. DA may still have big impact on this sport today.

you this sounds good for the little guys out there because it might cut them some slack on parts and give them a better chance to make the field . Dale armstrong is a genius i would love to talk engine with that guy

Having the utmost respect for AA Dale, I found this to be great reading. As usual CompetitionPlus.com is leading the pack, thanks Bobby.

The part I found interesting was this:

Registered member said:
Look, with this thousand foot deal all these guys are going to do is turn things up so they blow up at 800 feet. That’s no good. It’s not going to be any safer, and it’s going to cost just as much money. It just doesn’t work. I applaud NHRA for doing it in the short term. It shows the fans they’re trying to do something, but it shouldn’t be permanent, and they should find another solution.

There are always ways around the rules. Cam timing changes to build more cylinder pressure. Smaller cubes and way more RPM. It might take a couple years, but they'd figure something out.

I wonder how long before NHRA just builds the engine and gives it to the team to tune and run....

Mr. Armstrong's plan makes perfect sense to me. Cost saving and safety, plus it brings back quarter mile racing, but with the egos, will the NHRA listen, since it's not their idea? "YOU BE THE JUDGE!!!"

Having the utmost respect for AA Dale, I found this to be great reading. As usual CompetitionPlus.com is leading the pack, thanks Bobby.

The part I found interesting was this:

Originally Posted by Dale Armstrong @ CompetitionPlus.com
Look, with this thousand foot deal all these guys are going to do is turn things up so they blow up at 800 feet. That’s no good. It’s not going to be any safer, and it’s going to cost just as much money. It just doesn’t work. I applaud NHRA for doing it in the short term. It shows the fans they’re trying to do something, but it shouldn’t be permanent, and they should find another solution.

Paul, I couldn't agree more, especially when I read Dale's comment above that you posted. He has always been one of my favorites. Maybe some folks should listen to him more. Bobby, great interview. This is the most intelligent topic I've read on this board in a week. No offense to anyone.

With all of the calls for single, and smaller fuel pumps on this board, I found this interesting as well:

DA: If you put a smaller fuel pump on the engine all it will do is pull the motor down in the middle of the course. What happens is that as the motor slows down because the clutch is pulling it down, the fuel pump slows down, too. You’d have horrendous heat conditions out in the middle of the course because there’d be less fuel in the motor to cool things down.

Right now the guys have those slide valves in the fuel system to put more and more fuel into the motor as it slows down. When the motor starts coming back up again in rpm they start bleeding that fuel back off again because the motor starts losing Volumetric Efficiency. That’s why you’ve got to have a pump that’s big and flows a lot of fuel. Without that big pump it would be tremendously hard on the motor, and that means more parts destruction and failures of bearings, rods and pistons. It sounds like a simplistic solution, but ultimately it would end up costing more in parts to do that.

This sounds like a plan that would work, and that would get us back to a full quarter mile without endangering anyone.

Makes a lot of sense. That's why I'm not holding my breath..........:rolleyes:

How bad does it EFFFIN piss you off that this was proposed 11 years ago, and certain powerful people stopped it.

I'm disgusted. Just flat disgusted.

How long before someone posts that Dale 'doesn't care about the drivers'

Mr. Armstrong's plan makes perfect sense to me. Cost saving and safety, plus it brings back quarter mile racing, but with the egos, will the NHRA listen, since it's not their idea? "YOU BE THE JUDGE!!!"

If they don't I'll never buy another ticket.

I was working at the Motorplex when this test took place...and somehow I forgot all about the concept. Now the memories of the plan and the subsequent restistance are coming back.

Double-A Dale's plan is the one.

His plan makes total sense to me. Like another poster mentioned, its sickening that he devised this plan 10 years ago and it was shot down by the "power brokers" of the sport. Whats the matter with these guys?

More racers can get in the game with the reduced cost of running. To me its a win-win situation that needs to happen.... soon.

I haven't said anything in these "slow them down" threads until now. I finally read something that one of the "masters" have put together and I thought it was worthy of a supporting comment. Please NHRA.....do it and lets go back to 1/4 mile racing again next year.

With all due respect to Big, Jim Head, and others who's wisdom I value. Dale Armstrong's idea will save Drag Racing. This is a wonderful idea that I feel needs to be implimented ASAP. My original thought was a single pump but Armstrong said why it wouldn't work, it makes sense. I had a similar thought about what he said about the guys blowing it up at 800' on the 1000' track. You have a shorter distance and you need to get there quicker and faster. If they stay with 1000', I can see these guys making the cars go go even faster than they did before. If they want to run this 1000' deal for a while, go ahead. Then before Indy, have a multi day open test at Indy so these guys could work on the new Armstrong rule. I know they canceled that test because of the Nitro shortage. They could still do it. All they would have to do is figure out how many 1000' event they would have to run to save enough Nitro. I'm terrible at math, but it would be something like 320', x how much fuel is used in that distance, x how many cars are at each race, x how many runs are made, = how much extra fuel you would have left. It could be done. In my opinion, NHRA doesn't need to shorten the track. Use Dale Armstrong's genious and everything will be fine.

Dave

I also found that to be an interesting read. I was at the test in Dallas as well. I however disagree with the statement about turning things up and blowing up at 800 feet. The tire is the Governor and turning things up is just going to smoke the hoops.

Alan

After reading that keep the 1000' foot concept until they test Dale's idea which as he stated 2 races and back to the tradition!

That's why I read Comp plus they have very insightful articles...
Thanks Bobby once again.

P.S. Thanks Jon!

Last edited:
IF NHRA is smart enough to adopt Dale's idea, and stick to it, it won't matter who complains. Once they do that, there won't be any need to the 1000' track. However, there still is a need for better sand trap material and the area beyond. Hopefully Jim Head can help in that direction.

Davie Settles as Tech Director!!! OMG, what a scream that would be!!!!

Ma Green

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back