Congrats to Leah! (1 Viewer)

I wonder why, with all the resources available to them, the Jeg's turbo Pro Mod car doesn't seem to have the development and performance these R2/D2 cars have? I have heard that they (the R2/D/2 cars) are using a torque converter to load the engine on the starting line for the purpose of building boost before the launch. It would take some awesome brakes to hold the car on the line, unless they have some sort of trans-brake arrangement.

Can anybody shed any light on that????

Whatever they are doing, it seems to work; that was a big problem for turbo Pro Mods in the beginning, as I remember. I don't have access to the 60-foot times for these two R2/D2 cars, but I wonder how they compare with the conventional clutch cars, now? Does "live timing" have that information?

Until Brad Personnett got the starting line problems ironed out, turbo cars were just not competitive because of their (relatively) slow launches. That seems to be fixed. now...

The HNRA has already reduced the turbo inlets from 91mm to 88; In light of the recent performances (a U.S. Nationals win, and now this win, and runner-up, yesterday) I guess there will likely, be more downsizing????

Waiting for the other shoe to drop...

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

Leah did a great job yesterday. As did Melanie. It would have really been close had Mels car not broke in the final.

Leah is driving the Funny Car today,

And it's R2B2 not R2D2 that was the robot from Star Wars-LOL

Alan

I wonder why, with all the resources available to them, the Jeg's turbo Pro Mod car doesn't seem to have the development and performance these R2/D2 cars have? I have heard that they (the R2/D/2 cars) are using a torque converter to load the engine on the starting line for the purpose of building boost before the launch. It would take some awesome brakes to hold the car on the line, unless they have some sort of trans-brake arrangement.

Whatever they are doing, it seems to work; that was a big problem for turbo Pro Mods in the beginning, as I remember. I don't have access to the 60-foot times for these two R2/D2 cars, but I wonder how they compare with the conventional clutch cars, now? Does "live timing" have that information?

Until Brad Personnett got the starting line problems ironed out, turbo cars were just not competitive because of their (relatively) slow launches. That seems to be fixed. now...

The HNRA has already reduced the turbo inlets from 91mm to 88; In light of the recent performances (a U.S. Nationals win, and now this win, and runner-up, yesterday) I guess there will likely, be more downsizing????

Okay.....Here's everything to the best of my knowledge Bill.

Most of the automatic Pro Mods I get to see are all using Rossler TH-210 3 speed transmissions. The way most of them set up their cars is to have a transbrake as well as a line lock, both of which are on separate buttons. Melanie lost a race earlier this year because she let go of one button, but not the other. I would imagine they're all using carbon fiber brakes, which should allow for even better holding power on the line. The twin turbo Pro Mods have been reduced from 91mm to 88mm's for the 2011 season.

I would say that the 60' times these turbo cars put down are usually a little higher than the supercharged cars. Melanie had a .988 one round and Danny Rowe had a
.962. Rowe ran a 5.823 at 248.98 and Melanie ran 5.835 at 253.71.

Last edited:

The secret to running a successful turbo car(s) is having a crew chief that is a turbo genius like Steve Petty. Both Leah and Melanie have acknowledged that Steve is a genius when it comes to turbo setups.

Brad Personett had Harry Hruska along with him when he was so incredibly dominant last year. Not sure if Harry still helps Brad at all but it doesn't look like it.

The 60' times of most of the turbo cars out there are still relatively slow compared to the blown cars. The only exception is R2B2, really.

Just like in Top Fuel, it takes more than just money to make cars run well. Especially turbo cars. You need to have the brains to go with it and R2B2 definitely does.

Okay.....Here's everything to the best of my knowledge Bill.

Most of the automatic Pro Mods I get to see are all using Rossler TH-210 3 speed transmissions. The way most of them set up their cars is to have a transbrake as well as a line lock, both of which are on separate buttons. Melanie lost a race earlier this year because she let go of one button, but not the other. I would imagine they're all using carbon fiber brakes, which should allow for even better holding power on the line. The twin turbo Pro Mods have been reduced from 91mm to 88mm's for the 2011 season.

I would say that the 60' times these turbo cars put down are usually a little higher than the supercharged cars. Melanie had a .988 one round and Danny Rowe had a
.962. Rowe ran a 5.823 at 248.98 and Melanie ran 5.835 at 253.71.

As I said above, the 60' numbers for turbo cars are lower than supercharged cars. The big performance you see from Roger's camp is the exception.

Huge congrats to Leah! She performed great all week, especially considering it was her first race in a converter turbo car. There's a lot to do in one of those cars and she had great RT's and did a great job driving.

The R2B2 camp is on fire!!

Thanks guys, for all that good information and thanks to Alan for spotting my "initial" glitch!

No reason why these converter cars can't leave as hard as a conventional clutch car, given enough development time. Higher stall speeds and more boost before releasing the brake (or, trans-brake) has to pay dividends in 60 feet. A lockup converter is a possibility (if it's legal.)

I'm always excited to see new techology doing well. I just hope NHRA doesn't discourage continued development with "parity overkill" in the turbo downsizing department.

Roger has put together a team that is exciting on several levels... :)

You go, R-2/B-2!!!!

Bill, in Conway, AR

Thanks guys, for all that good information and thanks to Alan for spotting my "initial" glitch!

No reason why these converter cars can't leave as hard as a conventional clutch car, given enough development time. Higher stall speeds and more boost before releasing the brake (or, trans-brake) has to pay dividends in 60 feet. A lockup converter is a possibility (if it's legal.)

I'm always excited to see new techology doing well. I just hope NHRA doesn't discourage continued development with "parity overkill" in the turbo downsizing department.

Roger has put together a team that is exciting on several levels... :)

You go, R-2/B-2!!!!

Bill, in Conway, AR

Good points all around!

Great job Leah and Meline and crew Thanks Roger for gathering all that talent. Leah I like your blonde hair at Indy better, that's just Me LOL

The brunette hair threw me for a second, too. But I ain't mad at it! :D

She can flat out drive a race car so the rest is gravy.

Based on how she acted towards fans at Indy it's probably so she won't get recognized IMO!

The new Shirley? :eek: It's sad that someone who people look up to would act that way. You always make time for your fans. The reason is because no matter how good of a driver you are, you don't want the reputation of being cold to the very people that pay to see you.

After what I've heard about her and what Joe mentioned, I'm glad I never gave her the time of day.

Hey Joe, what did I miss?

Oh nothin Major, she was out and about in the Pits. Some fans approached her Trailer she bailed inside like a scalded Dog! I met her at our local track about 4 years ago and her and her folks seemed like Good people! Last year at Vegas I saw her and asked her about Albuq. And she was a totally different person! I couldn't count the number of Cool Sportsman racers I have met over the years, and once they get a Pro ride they completely change! Seen that scenario many times in 20 years!

Joe, thanks for the reply, sorry to hear that. If she's looking for a sponsor, those actions do not sound like they will be very beneficial to her securing a sponsor. Racers need to remember it's the fans that spend their hard earned money to purchase the products of the sponsors.

Oh nothin Major, she was out and about in the Pits. Some fans approached her Trailer she bailed inside like a scalded Dog! I met her at our local track about 4 years ago and her and her folks seemed like Good people! Last year at Vegas I saw her and asked her about Albuq. And she was a totally different person! I couldn't count the number of Cool Sportsman racers I have met over the years, and once they get a Pro ride they completely change! Seen that scenario many times in 20 years!
When they move up to the pro teams they usually have a lot more resposibility's then they did when they were a sportsman racer. Leah has always treated me with nothing but respect. Just remember "timing is everything". But Joe you know you can always hang out with us. :)

When they move up to the pro teams they usually have a lot more resposibility's then they did when they were a sportsman racer. Leah has always treated me with nothing but respect. Just remember "timing is everything". But Joe you know you can always hang out with us. :)

..... and Joe, Eugene won't be offended when the whole time you are talking to him you are staring at his chest!! ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back