Coming soon to an NHRA near you... (1 Viewer)

do they not already try to limit speed with RPM and gear ratio ?? Oh and Goodyear not rating the tire for more MPH ?

so the fastest run was 257 and they set the limit at 260, seems fair, this was for sedans not like they pulled the plug on TF
To me it would be like NHRA saying 350 for TF Has not been done but limit their liability

do they not already try to limit speed with RPM and gear ratio ?? Oh and Goodyear not rating the tire for more MPH ?

so the fastest run was 257 and they set the limit at 260, seems fair, this was for sedans not like they pulled the plug on TF
To me it would be like NHRA saying 350 for TF Has not been done but limit their liability
These are just the details of this particular rule, on this particular day. I think the real take away is... Decisions and rules like these are on a slippery slope.

I believe John Zappia ran over 265 quite a few years ago. I don’t know what the current record is.

So, are we going to see everyone on a good run shut off early to avoid this? hmmm

While not officially stating it, aren't some of the rules in place now, there to limit performance? 1000ft, Rev limiter, rear end, pump size and such
it's all the matter of how you want to do it. Make the rule be 260 and let the teams figure it out or dictate how they have to do it. NHRA's way may sound better to the fans (no speed limit) but they do the same thing.

While not officially stating it, aren't some of the rules in place now, there to limit performance? 1000ft, Rev limiter, rear end, pump size and such
Yes, but the unseen limits (aka rules) are more palatable to fans who are not intimately familiar with the technologies and tune ups. Nobody likes explicit speed limits. With the rules-based system a driver doesn't have to worry when he/she's "on a good one" since it's within the rules and they can leg it through.

And while I'm tempted to go on a rant about "stifling innovation," truth is sometimes the sanctioning bodies are saving racers from themselves.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back