Columbus provides familiar surroundings for JEGS team (1 Viewer)

COLUMBUS, Ohio (July 21) – Continuing a tradition that began more than 40 years ago, the familiar yellow and black JEGS Mail Order colors will once again be flying down the historic quarter-mile at National Trail Raceway as the North Central Division Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series makes its annual visit to central Ohio. The multi-car assault will once again include John Coughlin’s dual entries in Top Dragster and Super Stock, Mike Coughlin’s Top Sportsman Cobalt and their nephew, Troy Jr. (T.J.), who continues to make rapid progress in the Super Comp class with his JEGS.com dragster. Third generation racers Cody and Paige Coughlin are also scheduled to participate in the Jr. Dragster class.

After four events including a victory at Route 66 Raceway in Joliet, Ill., John continues to lead the points battle in the Spitzer Race Cars Top Dragster Series. With the season past the half-way point, John realizes that a strong showing would go a long way towards securing his second championship in the last three seasons.

“We’re racing at our home track and I know this place very well so we definitely see this as a good opportunity to put some points on the board,” said John. “We have run a few races in this new car and even though it’s a bit quicker than the car I drove last year, I think I have a pretty good feel for it. I’m coming into this race as the points leader and if we can leave with the lead, I’ll be happy.”

Despite missing the last event in Stanton, Mich., Mike is still very much alive in the battle for the Top Sportsman championship. He is currently ranked seventh but has run just two events, meaning he has several opportunities remaining where he can improve his score. In his last outing in Joliet, Mike drove his JEGS.com Cobalt to a semifinal finish.

“We recently freshened everything in our JEGS.com Cobalt so I should be good to go this weekend,” said Mike. “We certainly haven’t given up on winning the championship in Top Sportsman and with a good showing this weekend; We think we can get right back in the hunt. This should be a fun weekend for all of us. We’re planning on having a lot of supporters out here including our family, friends, and a lot of our associates at JEGS Mail Order. It should be a good time.”

After several strong finishes in his JEGS.com dragster, T.J. is quickly shedding his label as a rookie in the Super Comp class. Following back-to-back round three finishes, T.J. is currently ranked 21st out of more than 150 North Central Division Super Comp racers and could easily move into the top ten with another strong showing at his home track.

“For me, the important thing is that I continue to learn more and more each time I go to the races and I can definitely say that has been the case this season,” said Coughlin. “At the last race, I was driving well but ended up losing by two-thousandths. That was tough, but it’s all part of the learning process. Now that I’ve had some success, I am convinced that I can do this and that makes me even more eager to get back out there. This should be a fun race because we’re going to have pretty much the whole family there with us. I’m also looking forward to seeing my little sister [Paige] at her first Jr. Dragster race. We’ll all be cheering for her and my cousin, Cody.”

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back