Cobra Jet Mustang is back ! (1 Viewer)

"The Cobra Jet is the drag racing equivalent of the Mustang FR500S, allowing those interested in NHRA sportsman drag racing the opportunity to get involved with an affordable vehicle that can compete right off the truck and run in the 10-second range".

"This is a full-fledged, ready-to-race vehicle".

Let me start by stating that no one bleeds blue oval blood more than me. I've been driving and racing Fords for about 44 years now. These two statements are a true barometer of how far the folks at Ford have their heads up their butts when it comes to NHRA drag racing.

Tell me, Mr. Wolfe, what NHRA sportsman class will these overpriced Mustangs compete in, and what ever makes you think that they're going to be able to compete "right off the truck"? Anyone vaguely familiar with NHRA racing can tell you that there's going to be a ton of safety improvements that Joe Racer will have to make before even taking the car down the strip, especially if it will run in the 10's as it comes from the factory. Or maybe they come with a roll bar and 5 point harness from the factory. Bellhousing shield? Tranny shield? Flexplate SFI approved? How about those rear axles? Driveshaft loop? Some sort of rear traction devices? Spool in the rear end? I have to admit, for the price of the car, all these things should be included, and maybe they are. I haven't seen complete specs on this car, and if I'm off base, let me be the first one to apologize. I just think it's totally ridiculous to make the statement that it will be competitive "right off the truck". I wonder what size slicks will fit in the rear wheelwells? If you're thinking Super Stock, you're going to be running against a lot of cars that have been back-halved and are running huge slicks and wheelie bars. Maybe those are an option on this factory Ford drag racer.

Call me skeptical, call me bitter. Go to any NHRA national event and tell me how many Fords you see competiting on any given day. Maybe a handful if you're lucky. I'm talking Stock, Super Stock, Competition Eliminator, even the Super classes. Those of us rooting for Fords don't have much to root for anymore. Please don't try to appease me by saying that John Force's teams are running Mustangs. Aaarrggghhh. Yeah, I guess I am bitter now that I think about it. Please don't insult me by saying that the other brands are just that much better, because guys named Glidden and Nicholson and Platt and Schartman and Sox and Gapp and Roush, and even Panera, guys who have excelled with Fords and also other brands have proven that a Ford can compete with and even win against the other brands when the playing field is level.

I applaud this effort by the Ford Drag racing factory guys, I honestly do. It's long overdue. I hope it's a huge success. But to come out with guns blazing and tell the world to watch out for this car in NHRA sportsman racing, well, I just think that's somewhat premature and hard to believe, especially considering Ford's recent lack of success on the drag strips of America. I hope they prove I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that "right off the truck" this is nothing more than a really fast street car.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back