***closed-fontana auto club drag strip-temporarily? (1 Viewer)

The Little Lizard

Nitro Member
NHRA sanctioned Auto Club Dragway located in Fontana, California is now closed, will it only be temporary? (Hopefully only temporarily for some events), at the web-link provided below:

Fontana’s Auto Club Dragway Closed Over Noise Concerns - Dragzine.com

****My source indicates this additional potential clarification on the Matter of what maybe a discontinuation of some events at Auto Club Dragway in Fontana, California?:

The track itself is not closing, just most of the programs. Jr's and Street Legal stuff are the only events still going on. A release of the official report may happen this week?

*****UPDATE 2/29/12 OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT ON CURRENT STATUS OF FONTANA DRAGWAY CAN BE FOUND AT THE WEB-LINK BELOW:

http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/29986-fontana-dragway-done-while.html
:(

Last edited:
Short story: 1 person is raising legal issues and until it can go back to court, then the track is not allowed to run anything other than JR's and street legal stuff. Got to love it when lawyers get to fight over if and when we can race. :rolleyes:

Re: New Schedule for Auto Club drag strip

Darr thanks for sharing the lead with me getting to the bottom of this rumor as per my sharing of the official Fontana Auto Club Dragway announcment on the matter at web-link provided above, keep up the good work!;)

*****I wonder if the NHRA Heritage Series Event scheduled for August 6-7, 2011 is canceled as well? Will they reschedule it for Bakersfields Historical & Famous Auto Club Famoso Raceway? **********
;):D

Last edited:
i understood the reasoning behind bulding on the location... cheap due to what was there before the raceway.... wonder how much resistance they would get form the area from the noise issue....

wonder if the people complaining would be happy if it just went away and the extra taxes paid by the facility left and the taxes had to made up else where...

This engine, with prototype zoomies designed to be a few db's quieter than normal, registered 89db in the guy's front yard.

Just after my tested run, a Peterbilt tractor started up in the yard next door to the test residence...it registered 92db. ! Go figure...

This engine, with prototype zoomies designed to be a few db's quieter than normal, registered 89db in the guy's front yard.

Just after my tested run, a Peterbilt tractor started up in the yard next door to the test residence...it registered 92db. ! Go figure...

He Bill:

I've never seen enough heat to blue double wall tubing like that. Do those headers have a lot of back pressure?

RG

Randy,
Smiley drilled a series of 3/8" holes in the primary tube prior to assembling the header in the attempt to create a sort of chamber thus muffling the exhaust tone somewhat. There was no packing and it resulted in a 3-4 db loss on the stand at least.

It took away some of the chrispness or high tone, at least that's what it sounded like in the car.

We only ran them the one weekend out there. Learned a lot too but nothing too conclusive.

Registered member said:
Additionally, NHRA announced that because of a complete lack of participation, the AA/Gas class will be suspended for the remainder of the 2011 season and will not be contested as part of the NHRA Hot Rod Heritage Series at any of the remaining events. Individual tracks may elect to run this class, or other classes in conjunction with their Heritage Series event, but such competition will not count as points earning events for the Series.

This is a huge bummer. AA/gas cars are tremendously wild awesome and great fun to watch.

So, back-to-back weekends of fun at Famoso? Sounds do-able. :D:cool:

The reason that no AA/GS cars are participating is because when the rules were rewritten, the outlawed them all. No one wanted to spend $$$$$ and change their program in order to conform for 5 races. NHRA killed the class.

With this schedule change, there will be the ANRA Finals, Heritage Finals, and CHRR on back-to-back-to-back weekends at Famoso for NE1 and A/GAS. Not sure if dropping AA/GS will allow them to add more Sportsman classes or something completely different. But for us this is too much at one time. We'll skip the Heritage race, maybe even the Reunion as it is becoming hassle than what it's worth. Hassle in the way of being treated as a second class citizen and time wasted with nitro oildown clean ups. Sucks the fun out of it.

Am just a little curious. If they have stopped the running of cars without mufflers why are they not running the S/G & S/C cars. They are all required to have mufflers and have a required DB reading they cannot exceed..
Without Fontana the closest tracks for S/G & S/C are Famosa or Vegas. If this ban holds up I think there may be quite a few of these cars either parked or for sale. If you don't run the division races and just run the association meets at Fontana you may as well park your S/G S/C car. No use selling it - it won't be worth anything.
I've got a fairly new Dave Urehara car that has less than 100 runs on it and had to park it last year. We were just getting ready to get the chassis recertified, new belts, etc. and start racing Fontana again. No reason to now. Just keep it in the shop and cover it up with our car cover.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back