Check out Nitro Class (1 Viewer)

PJ

Staff Member
Staff member
Administrator
Nitro Member
We heard the announcement for Nitro class sessions that there were holding and I thought hey that might be cool for rookies but I didn't plan on going. Then my daughter wanted to check it out so we did.

I was expecting very basic stuff but they covered it all. The rookie would learn a lot and seasoned vets learned quite a bit as well. Alan Reinhart and TJ Zizzo did a GREAT job explaining things, Alan even had graphs there and would explain everything (good and bad) on a run. They took questions from the crowd, it was very well done and I think went on for a good 45 minutes.

TJ even explained why they don't do throttle whacks anymore. Now I understand and while I'll still miss them, I get it :)

If they do these at a race near you, check it out.

Great job Alan and TJ

Cool! Hopefully they do this for 2016 as I am not attending any more races this year.

We heard the announcement for Nitro class sessions that there were holding and I thought hey that might be cool for rookies but I didn't plan on going. Then my daughter wanted to check it out so we did.

I was expecting very basic stuff but they covered it all. The rookie would learn a lot and seasoned vets learned quite a bit as well. Alan Reinhart and TJ Zizzo did a GREAT job explaining things, Alan even had graphs there and would explain everything (good and bad) on a run. They took questions from the crowd, it was very well done and I think went on for a good 45 minutes.

TJ even explained why they don't do throttle whacks anymore. Now I understand and while I'll still miss them, I get it :)

If they do these at a race near you, check it out.

Great job Alan and TJ

Thanks PJ,

Why didn't you flag me down and say hi? Please do so next time,
AR

was standing waiting for friends near alan and richie crampton doing the same thing @ brainerd, so listened for about 10 minutes......pj, i thought the same thing; very well done, a little info for everyone....alan, don't know how you find time for that, but it's a great addition.

That sounds pretty cool! I hope they continue it.

PJ...what the reasoning for no throttle whacking anymore? Anything beyond the over heating of the clutch system we hear about a lot ?

Thanks PJ,

Why didn't you flag me down and say hi? Please do so next time,
AR

I was going to, my daughter and I were right in front there. You had to race out of there afterwards for your next assignment, it seemed like you were already late and I didn't want to slow you any longer.

That sounds pretty cool! I hope they continue it.

PJ...what the reasoning for no throttle whacking anymore? Anything beyond the over heating of the clutch system we hear about a lot ?

2 reasons given(and Alan can correct me if explain it wrong)

-with the car up on the stands, it puts too much pressure and tension on everything when the whack happens that it causes things to tweak and break
-It's too difficult to do it consistently enough to set everything the same way each time.

#2 to me is part of the being a driver. Adding that variable separates the skills, but unless it was mandated by NHRA then nobody would do it anyway

#1 makes tons of sense and I had never thought of it. Last thing I want, is the whacks to cause any chassis issues that comprise safety.

2 reasons given(and Alan can correct me if explain it wrong)

-with the car up on the stands, it puts too much pressure and tension on everything when the whack happens that it causes things to tweak and break
-It's too difficult to do it consistently enough to set everything the same way each time.

#2 to me is part of the being a driver. Adding that variable separates the skills, but unless it was mandated by NHRA then nobody would do it anyway

#1 makes tons of sense and I had never thought of it. Last thing I want, is the whacks to cause any chassis issues that comprise safety.
Funny- I was just thinking that the new NHRA, in an effort to get the crowd excited again, was going to make dry hops a requirement again, and the tuners we're going to have to figure out a functional clutch setting to be able to do them.

Did you hear the crowd when the gassers did their dry hops? Even though the stands had already emptied after nitro, when they wacked the pedal, the stands lit up as loud as when the pro show guys made good pulls.

But, as mentioned in "class", the wear and tear is on more than just the drivetrain; who would have ever seen the horsepower and torque gains made over the past decade- enough to tear the cars apart.

glad i did not hear them explaining away the throttle wacks......that's like saying 'sorry folks, we have lessened the entertainment
but the ticket price is still the same'.....and you wonder why the stands are so sparse certain days of certain events.
people are not dumb......well some are :p

Sounds great! If the Nitro Class shows up on YouTube or elsewhere PLEASE post a link!
-Jeff

I kinda wondered about #1...because if you were right there...when they cracked the injector plates...man could you see twist and flex. But I figured hey....they have done this before if it was an issue they wouldn't do it. But that was years ago when these things were no making near the power they do now.

The latest issue of Racing Engine Technology has an article with Nicky Bonninfante and Jon Oberhofer explaining how they alter tuning on Dels car depending on track conditions. Very indept gear head stuff. Great read.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back