Capps Crashes!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Left Lane: Stephen Romanazzi Runs 7.501/157.53, Now #7; Best prior run: 6.128/223.71, Was #7
Right Lane: Ron Capps No Time, Now #3; Best prior run: 6.000/239.48, Was #3

That was ugly. Capps went straight into a wheelstand at the hit and the front wheels were at least 5 to 6 feet in the air. When he let off the pedal the car came crashing down and must have broken the steering as the car careened across the centerline and crashed into the left hand wall pretty stiff. Capps is out of the car and he's reported as walking around and is fine. I don't think the same can be said for Gaynor's car though. I'm betting that Capps was just sick about that deal but at least he's physically fine. Romanazzi managed to stay out of this whole affair and remains #7.

As reported at DRC

That's a bummer. Glad he wasn't hurt. But he might be a little bit sore when Thursday rolls around in Pomona.

Glad to hear that he's okay! But... Why would you take a chance on racing another car when you are in the championship hunt? The payoff to me doesn't seem worth the risk. I'm not being critical of Ron, cause if I had the opportunity to drive different cars, I would. It just seems a little silly at this point of the season. Flame suit activated....

Oh my goodness! I'm glad he's OK! I can't believe I forgot about his driving that car this weekend.

I am glad Ron is ok. :)

What a bummer for Jeff Gaynor. It is hard enough to put one car together, now it is trashed. :(

Good Luck to both,

Rapid

Doesn't look that trashed in this photo, I was expecting to see much worse, hopefully it can be fixed.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Talked to him afterward. He's ok, not happy, but ok. Got the run on analog vid. Car has no wheelie bar, launches, goes straight up like no F/C I've ever seen do, slams back down, car drifts left, hits wall, heads toward the other wall and hits it also, then heads back to the other wall.

Mike I agree with you. The picture doesn't look terrible like I was expecting from the descriptions of the crash. I am not there and didn't talk direct to anyone. However to do all that wall hitting, it has to be a mess. :(

Rapid

Right, Doesn't 'look' that bad, but... bet the pipes are tweeked big time... Love to see that Vid Paul, Sounds alot like Arnie B's launch in Maz's car back in 70, stood that thing right on the rear bumper, TWICE....:eek:

Glad Ron's Okay, but it still bites...

Capps Crash Video

1320 TV cameras were rolling when Ron Capps took Jeff Gaynor's "Hard Times" '71 Dodge Challenger for a wild ride during the Goodguys 8th Fuel & Gas Finals in Bakersfield, California.

"The thing lifted the front end and I got off the throttle," Capps said. "It just kind of sailed up there and when it came down it broke the a-arms and kind of glanced off the wall."

Click here for video of the crash and an interview with Capps shortly after the incident:

1320 TV

But... Why would you take a chance on racing another car when you are in the championship hunt? The payoff to me doesn't seem worth the risk.

'Cause that's what he does. Criminy, he can go to Eldora or or MotoCrossing and STILL be exposed to injury.

(It's not like he plays some sissy stick and ball sport<GGGG>!)

You're statistically at a greater risk on the highway than you are on a dragstrip. That's keeping him off the roads, safe and sound in a rollcage where he should be! :D

What a shame. Glad that Ron's OK, it could have been much worse. Sorry to see Gaynor's car damaged like that. I'd like to see some bars on that car. You never need them, until......

Trust me when I tell you that Gaynor's car has a dog leg in the chassis the size of the hound of the Baskervilles. The front end of the car was destroyed when it fell out of the sky and the car hit the hardest on the left front. You might unbolt some of the pieces and reuse them but most of it will get thrown away.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back