Candies and Hughes, 1982 (1 Viewer)

DrRocket

Nitro Member
The missus and I took in the Indy Speedway Museum during our recent vacation, and I found this car on display there. Thought you folks might be interested in seeing it. Mark Oswald's 1982 digger.

DSCN2014.jpg

DSCN2010.jpg

DSCN2011.jpg

This this is elegant in its simplicity.

One more thing........

I don't EVER want to hear people on this board P & Ming about reserved parking costs again:

parking_small.jpg

Adjusted for inflation, that's $135 in today's dollars. :eek:

You could tell how much simpler the cars were back then. I'll bet that car is 500lbs. lighter than the current cars.

You could tell how much simpler the cars were back then. I'll bet that car is 500lbs. lighter than the current cars.

and maybe, what? 50"-60" shorter....

the Blue Max dragster was "cutting edge" as well....liked both of those cars.....but have always been a Candies & Hughes fan.....or I just liked hearing "Houma Lousiana....that's H-O-U-M-A".....

Thanks for the pictures David. I remember that car very well, I was at the CajunNationals in '82 for that win. It was the only year that Mark Oswald drove a dragster for Candies and Hughes before they switched back to a funny car. Paul Candies always had really beautiful racecars, first class all the way.
CH4001.jpg

CH3.jpg

I have seen that Dragster at the Indy Museum a couple of times! They rotate them in and out! Can't remember who else's has been in there!

Things haven't changed, I was at Indy last year and was really impressed with how professional their Super Stock operation is. Impressed, but not surprised.

Thanks for the photos! I remember this car from the '82 U.S. Nationals when Mark Oswald drove though a huge wheelstand in round one. It just hiked the front end way up and held it out there for quite a ways. The fearless Oswald kept his foot in it for the win, making it one of the most exciting runs I've ever seen! You can see it here: 1982 U.S. Nationals part 1 at about 5:00 minutes in.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back