Brainerd stock final (1 Viewer)

exdry15

Nitro Member
I imagine the entire KB crew was on the starting line watching this race.

Stock Eliminator -- Ben Line, Ford Mustang, 10.538, 123.15 def. Randi Lyn Shipp, Pontiac Firebird, 10.679, 106.56.

I was pulling for that Mustang. Did anybody notice the header system on the car? Talk about a huge bundle of snakes. I’m guessing it is a big block car.

426 cobra jet i believe. and also pretty sure ben does his own headers. that's two (years) in a row. not exactly an easy feat.
heads up c/sa race. ben had the reaction time and by just past half track he knew he had her.

Last edited:
I wonder how Randi Lyn is doing in the points. I see her name a lot in finals and semi's, etc. If this race had not been heads up, might have been a different outcome. Would hate to be in a final and see either of these racers in the other lane.

Watched that on All Access, Randi was hard on the brakes for some reason around the first MPH light. She forget it was no breakout?

426 cobra jet i believe. and also pretty sure ben does his own headers. that's two (years) in a row. not exactly an easy feat.
heads up c/sa race. ben had the reaction time and by just past half track he knew he had her.
428 not 426.

I wonder how Randi Lyn is doing in the points. I see her name a lot in finals and semi's, etc. If this race had not been heads up, might have been a different outcome. Would hate to be in a final and see either of these racers in the other lane.
I may be wrong but Randi's problem is she is doing well now but she used up all of her National events(3 out of 6 counts, 5 out of 8 divisionals) early when she wasn't doing as well.
Maybe Mr. White can correct me if I am wrong and definitely could explain it better.

Watched that on All Access, Randi was hard on the brakes for some reason around the first MPH light. She forget it was no breakout?

No, she's too smart for that. It's the AHFS. Why get dinged for a race you already lost? And that was a GREAT Final! Like Indy last year, when the final is "Heads Up" with two fast cars, you know it's going to be good. The other end of the spectrum is the Denver final with a 7+ second head start. Those are fun too! Stockers Are WAY Cool!

The headers are like that on the early 428 cars, there wasn't much room to fit it all in there, so they hang way down. Personally I think it looks AWESOME.

Alan

Alan you need to bolt yourself into one of those new Cobra Jets and have some fun! Those cars are just plain wild.

I was watching on All Access and I swear those headers hang so low I don't know how they weren't hitting the ground as the car came down from its wheel stand off the line! There has to be some scratches and scrapes on those pipes, but obviously, Ben Line is pretty happy with the way the car is running.

The sportsman points can be a little deceiving some times. Following up on Armand's post earlier, in Stock Eliminator you can claim points from your best 3 of 6 national events and 5 of 8 divisional events. Since she's traveling around the country with her husband Bo, she is racing all of the national events and very few divisionals. She has attended 17 national events, yet only 2 divisionals. Only one other driver in Stock has attended 10 or more national events and that is Stephenson who has been to 12. Most sportsman racers don't have the money or the vacation time to travel across the country for 24 races, which is why the sportsman points are setup the way they are. There were many years where David Rampy would finish 30th or so in Comp Eliminator points because his sponsor, Winnebago, wanted him racing at national events where the crowds are larger as opposed to the divisional races where the crowds are smaller.
Every driver in Stock knows Randi Lyn is a talented driver. Add in the fact she gets lots of practice (she's raced in 19 events so far this year while the top 10 drivers currently in the Stock Eliminator points have raced between 7-13 events) so everyone knows when you line up next to her it's going to be a tough race.

Last edited:
No, she's too smart for that. It's the AHFS. Why get dinged for a race you already lost? ...
Alan
Dont you have to run something like 1.25 under to get "dinged"??? Never have seen her run quicker than , say .75 under .
Lines .86 under won it .

I looked at points for Stock & S/S and didn't see her listed in the top 100. ??? I thought she would be way up there. The top 10 in each category are tuff, tuff racers.

from brainerd gallery over on comp plus
StockFinal.JPG

I looked at points for Stock & S/S and didn't see her listed in the top 100. ??? I thought she would be way up there. The top 10 in each category are tuff, tuff racers.
Smart racers too. Most racers might run Indy but not claim it because you have so many rounds to win. A regular National, it can be 5 or 6 rounds with a possible bye. Indy is 128 stockers with no bye and 8 rounds. I know a local racer that finished top ten but left a national and a divisional on the board. When I asked him about that, he said "I needed to win Vegas divisional to move up to top 2 or win. There are 8 rounds to win in Vegas with nothing but hitters claiming points at the last divisional. I'm wasn't feeling that lucky"

Smart racers too. Most racers might run Indy but not claim it because you have so many rounds to win. A regular National, it can be 5 or 6 rounds with a possible bye. Indy is 128 stockers with no bye and 8 rounds. I know a local racer that finished top ten but left a national and a divisional on the board. When I asked him about that, he said "I needed to win Vegas divisional to move up to top 2 or win. There are 8 rounds to win in Vegas with nothing but hitters claiming points at the last divisional. I'm wasn't feeling that lucky"

I think Indy should be a requirement to win the championship. Since we treat that event as the Super Bowl of drag racing, I feel NHRA should mandate that Indy is one of the 6 claiming national events the sportsman cars have to attend if they want to be eligible to win the title.

Speaking of claiming, and just to clarify Armand, the racers don't get to pick and choose which races they want to claim (outside of setting their travel schedule). Points are accumulated at the first 6 national events the driver attends, and their best 3 of those 6 are used. Randi Lyn has run all 17 national events this year. Once she hit her 7th national event she was/is no longer able to add to her national event point total. The best 3 races she had within those first 6 was Pomona, Phoenix, and Vegas. She could win every national event from the Atlanta race (7th event of the year) to the finals at Pomona and her national points won't change. So really, the only way a racer can choose which races he or she wants to claim, is by deciding which races to attend and which ones to skip. For example, if a racer is set on using the Finals at Pomona as one of their claimed national events, then they can only run 5 other national events throughout the year.

One thing about Stock & S/S, you can get some really cool wheelie photos. Used to be just S/S did wheelies, now Stock does too. What a show! When I go to Wild Horse for the National. I always get there early & watch Stock & later S/S. Only thing I don't like is when a driver shuts off early on a Q pass. Good run until 1000' then off the gas. I guess they know how quick the car will run but it takes away from the "show", to me anyway. I think the oldest surviving class from the early days of drag racing is Stock. All the other classes have morphed into what we have today. Of course, not too many Hudson Hornet 6 cyls out there..... :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back