Book Review: 'Lost Manuscript' Is A Great Find For NHRA Fans (1 Viewer)

wonder is scag is aware of bob? what if bob re-emerged as PR guy for scag's nhra effort?

My copy finally arrived today. All the snow and frigid weather we've had this week really delayed delivery. Our mail didn't run for a couple of days. Forget "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds".
(I know that is not the motto of the Postal Service. But, it has long been associated as such.)

My copy finally arrived today. All the snow and frigid weather we've had this week really delayed delivery. Our mail didn't run for a couple of days. Forget "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds".
(I know that is not the motto of the Postal Service. But, it has long been associated as such.)
you'll enjoy it

A very valuable look back at Funny Car racing at the turn of the century. I enjoyed the writing about ride hunting and pushing existing drivers out of promising race cars. I wonder how much of that happens today.

I enjoyed the book as well. I wish we had more books of this type about drag racing, but I realize the market for such books is very small.

I also particularly enjoyed that portion (as noted in the quote above) about end-of-year sponsor issues and driver/ride changes, etc. It is competitive out there and yes, I'm quite sure this same thing goes on today. Human nature doesn't change.

It's too bad Frank Pedregon was not willing to shop around for some sponsor money to help pay his salary, since he seemed to be doing a good job driving the Blue Team car. It costs so much to run these cars, even back then, that bringing some money to the table is a huge help with securing a ride. That's how Jim Dunn has run his operation for decades. I think Matt Hagan was a ride buyer, at least initially, for his ride with Don Schumacher. Not sure if he still brings $$ to the table since those subjects tend to be held close to the vest. That's why that topic was fun to read about in Bob's book.

I enjoyed the book as well. I wish we had more books of this type about drag racing, but I realize the market for such books is very small.
I'm halfway through Carl Olson's autobiography, 'Racing Through Life', and enjoying it very much.

It was published a little before Christmas and you'd think, here in the UK, it would be obscure and impossible to get. But thanks to the wonders(?) of Amazon, it was delivered to me just a couple of days after I ordered it. Recommended.

I finished the book a couple of days ago, and really liked it.
Great insight, although I bet Bob just barely scratched the surface of everything a Big Show team goes through during a year of racing.
Bob talked to the readers, not at them, and that made for easy reading that was hard to put down.
A couple of times I found myself staying up past 0100 because I didn’t want to put it down.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back