Bob Glidden - Atlanta 1981 (1 Viewer)

NONE

Nitro Member
A friend of mine let me scan a roll of negatives he found recently. These pics of Glidden were just too good not to share. Real good shot of W.J.'s Olds in the second photo.

Wayne.

GLIDDEN.jpg

GLIDDEN2.jpg

Buster Couch, now those were the days! Is that Terry Vance at the far right of the first picture?

If memory serves me correct, he had to bring out the Olds because the Monte Carlo didn't pass tech.

1981 was the first year that Atlanta Dragway was an NHRA track. I went there in 1980 when it was still IHRA and W.J. was in a Camaro. He switched cars quite often back then. I saw W.J. match race Rickie Smith at Crossville, Tennessee with the Olds in that photo. Rickie won two of three with his Mustang. Unfortunately I didn't take my camera.

Wayne.

Thanks so much!! I've been looking for pics of that Fairmont for years. That 1st year of the Southern Nat's was one of the best on the circuit with all the close racing in the 3 Professional classes maybe because of the 8 car field.

Thanks so much!! I've been looking for pics of that Fairmont for years. That 1st year of the Southern Nat's was one of the best on the circuit with all the close racing in the 3 Professional classes maybe because of the 8 car field.

Thanks Wayne for posting these excellent photo's. This is my favorite race car as well. In fact, my first car was a 78 Fairmont and I bought a rolled over new 85 5.0 Mustang and transfered all the fox chassis parts. Fun car!
FairmontPitRoad.jpg

Thanks for the photos Rich. I thought Fairmonts were an ugly street car but in pro stock trim they look awesome. Same went for the Vegas.

Wayne.

What an awesome flashback! I loved watching Bob put the only Ford in the field and then dominating on Sunday. He was so incredibly solid on race day. What a HERO!!!

Fans so close to the track they could damned near reach out and touch the race cars! Good ol' days, I guess.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back