Billy Torrence Calls NHRA's Countdown a 'Loser Appreciation Program' (1 Viewer)

They've been consistently anti-countdown for some time. I think if you benefit from it and stay quiet then complain when it works against you, then that is whining. If you are consistent in the critique through time then it's not whining.
Very well put, Thank you.
I do believe he was not referring to any other drivers as losers, He was just voicing his opinion on the countdown.

I do have an idea, instead of complaining about it, why don't we put up suggestions?
Someone from NHRA reads this, It might actually give them something to think about.
Stuff like:
Reset points to half
More bonus points to lead the regular season
Maybe 1 or 2 mini resets during the season to tighten things up

Become part of the solution, not part of the problem.
It would be worth it to help the sport we all care about.

Personally, I think you should leave it up to the racers to decide; the most consistent driver throughout the entire season wins.
Jacking around with an already flawed system gets you nowhere.
It reminds me of the infamous PS weight break years.

Very well put, Thank you.
I do believe he was not referring to any other drivers as losers, He was just voicing his opinion on the countdown.

I do have an idea, instead of complaining about it, why don't we put up suggestions?
Someone from NHRA reads this, It might actually give them something to think about.
Stuff like:
Reset points to half

Become part of the solution, not part of the problem.
It would be worth it to help the sport we all care about.

Not sure if they still do but at one point NHRA did check in here and I know they've reached out to people

Every race is a playoff so adding the countdown really didn't mean much. With our sport and style a season long championship really is the only way to go

BUT

Those in the playoffs racing against those out of it, is perhaps the worst part of the system.

If they have to keep it then they should move to an 8 car playoff. Stack them on one side of the ladder. Ideally they qualify based on points standings, 1 vs 8, 2vs 7 and so on. There would be no qualifying points, but they could go after the little points in each session. The other half of the ladder is then made up from non playoff racers. If there are any bye's they happen on this side of the ladder.
If they don't want to qualify based on points, then normal qualifying is ok, just still separate ladders for those in and out of the playoff

Come final round, the playoff bracket races the non playoff bracket but only for money, trophy and pride. There is no extra points for that last round. Be it real or imagined, the shadow of dives is a bad look for the sport and the countdown makes the opportunity for for them occur more so. We don't need teammate 1 getting an easy win over teammate 2, who missed the countdown, nor do we need lower budget team getting an extra payday from a playoff team in that final round. You get a David vs Goliath matchup in the final. Even in this system you can still see dives towards the end as teammate in 8th place at the second to last race, takes on for the team in the first round. But that's really no difference then now.

Stuff like:
Reset points to half
Outside of this message board and the racers (and crew) themselves does anyone really care who's the series champion?

I would say that the casual fan (the ones who are paying a majority of the bills) really only care about who wins the race they're at. Heck back in the old Englishtown days the cash was flowing and it was usually something like "I got $10 on the red car". Oh that red car? It was Bob Glidden.

I just think a winner take all final is the way to go. The bracket is according to your points. Have it like the superbowl - at a different track every year.

I think that if BILLY BILLY had not made the remark he did this posting would never have happened. We have seen many periods when the same team won the T/F championship several years in a row. Tony Schumacher won many years with Alan Johnson. Then Alan won numerous champships with his Al Anabi team. Those 2 teams dominated for quite a few years and there was nobody griping about it.
CAPCO is the dominate team today but as we have all seen in the past that can change.
The countdown is what it is and no matter how much people scream about it and looking at the way NHRA operates it's unlikely it's going to change.

I think that if BILLY BILLY had not made the remark he did this posting would never have happened. We have seen many periods when the same team won the T/F championship several years in a row. Tony Schumacher won many years with Alan Johnson. Then Alan won numerous champships with his Al Anabi team. Those 2 teams dominated for quite a few years and there was nobody griping about it.
CAPCO is the dominate team today but as we have all seen in the past that can change.
The countdown is what it is and no matter how much people scream about it and looking at the way NHRA operates it's unlikely it's going to change.
Thank You for making one of my points. We all have an opinion.
I would rather be part of the solution.

Except… Wally’s nitro ban was reversed. Later and against NHRA’s desires, they finally made those super dangerous A/FX cars a Pro Class. (Follow the $$$.) The Pro Stock Truck mess hurt NHRA’s wallet when they “fixed it” to their satisfaction. The Pro Stock class has gone from stock blocks in the same mfg. body to tube chassis 500 ci motors of the same mfg. as the body. Then to swoopy bodies, and any block in any body but then without scoops or long wheelie bars. (They wanted wheels up launches... remember?) NHRA said never to the Pro Mods which became Pro Mods OK if they bring their own purse. (That $$$ thing again.) NHRA's Champion was crowned at one race a year but increased to cover an ever increasing number of races per year. Like a 10 race championship that kept increasing, finally to 24 races. But wait… then came the Count Down points reset for 6 races. That Count Down was with 10 qualified drivers in each Pro Category. But wait… now it’s 7 races this year and with 11 drivers in some classes. They’ve made many other changes like adding rev limiters, oil down penalties, automatic chute deployment and changing the deadline for entering a Pro Class.
NHRA is all about change which keeps them in the black and drag racing growing on the highest level. (Look at the pictures of the stands in the 70's. Most tracks couldn't hold 1/2 the fans or cars they can today. Hardcore fans voicing displeasure is currently still a legal right in this country. …I think.

Last edited:
Those in the playoffs racing against those out of it, is perhaps the worst part of the system.

If they have to keep it then they should move to an 8 car playoff.
Exactly, comparing this to baseball, football, etc. with PLAYOFFS where they only play other playoff teams is ridiculous. You want to make it a real playoff then let only the teams in the crapdown race each other. That I could see.. Maybe let the non playoff teams race on Saturday then do the playoff 8 teams on Sunday? That would be pretty cool.

You just compared this, to a time when Corporations were not the necessity that every driver and team are absolutely dependent upon in today's world. NHRA most importantly.

Tommy Johnson Jr said last week, he stays and signs every autograph, shakes every hand, and looks everyone in the eyes and thanks them for coming out. It is something that Bernstein taught him a long time ago, and he carries on with today. Because you never know who you are talking to, that may lead, to a lead. Being a hired driver and all. Something some of us do naturally.

This article is on autoweek.com . No small fish, where big fish swim and lurk. More than just NASCAR and F1 followers, leads. $$

As someone who will read this, what do you think their take away of NHRA is, from the words of our 3X champion and his team mate father, if they were considering getting involved in this spectacular motorsport?

How much damage could it cause by blowing a wad about a 14 year old written in black and white rule?

What was truly accomplished?

Still don't see what's wrong with it?

It wouldn't affect my decision at all as a 12 yr old kid wanting to be a drag racer. Seems like you've not been a kid for so long, you forgot what it was actually like to be a kid. None of what you just posted matters to kids. Maybe their parents but the kids? Nah. Not a chance.

It wouldn't affect my decision at all as a 12 yr old kid wanting to be a drag racer. Seems like you've not been a kid for so long, you forgot what it was actually like to be a kid. None of what you just posted matters to kids. Maybe their parents but the kids? Nah. Not a chance.
I have no clue what you are talking about, and it is obvious you don't either.

Do 12 year old kids read Autoweek. No, big money people do. People that matter in this industry.

I still remember (more or less) being 14 years old & going to San Fernando Drags. Was sooooo excited to be there. Just wanted to see the cars (all the cars). Flathead Ford dragster VS A/GS Plymouth coupe for Top Eliminator. I still remember that. And I'm still excited to go to the drags, altho racing has lost some of what made it great years ago. I think there has always been "poilitics" in drag racing, and controversy and all that. That will never go away.

Hate to be a spoilsport as I also fondly remember my first couple of years of spectating when I wasn't old enough to drive and I loved the sights, sounds and smells of drag racing.
But... as an old friend used to say all the time regarding drag racing sanctions, track owners and professional race car owners: "Follow the Benjamin$."
Yes, kids eat a lot of hot dogs and drink a bunch of sodas, but at most NHRA Nat'l. events... Kids 12 and under get in FREE! Unlike when us old timers were kids, most tracks today won't let kids walk in by themselves or even be dropped off without a paying adult. If no adult wants to go... the kids don't get to go.
NHRA, track owners and professional racers have to worry about today's profits and expenses and they should be basing their decisions on what the ticket buyers want to see.

To one of Tony's points in his earlier post, giving the "regular season" champion A 20 point, one round lead is complete BS and has irked me since the counted era started. Make it a one race, 4 round 80 point lead and let the rest of the field show what they can do to win the championship.

Outside of this message board and the racers (and crew) themselves does anyone really care who's the series champion?

I would say that the casual fan (the ones who are paying a majority of the bills) really only care about who wins the race they're at. Heck back in the old Englishtown days the cash was flowing and it was usually something like "I got $10 on the red car". Oh that red car? It was Bob Glidden.

I just think a winner take all final is the way to go. The bracket is according to your points. Have it like the superbowl - at a different track every year.

and then Josh Hart shows up and wins...................

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back