Billy Torrence Calls NHRA's Countdown a 'Loser Appreciation Program' (1 Viewer)

Wasn't Billy racing part time the past few seasons ?......Wasn't Steve upset when Brittany took the championship from him a few years ago ?......Just F$%#king race and put your piehole on the track.......Countdown is bullsh*t....bring back the points race from before.........Everybody's got something to bitch about when it doesn't go their way........

What Billy said does not even compare to what Garlits had to say about the NHRA in the early ‘70s.
Garlits even staged protest races on the same weekend as Indy.
The NHRA survived that.
What’s wrong with speaking out against a very flawed system?
The Torrence team spent a lot of money to become the dominant team, only to see all their wins become basically worthless after the points reset. I don’t blame them one bit for being upset and saying something about it.
You just compared this, to a time when Corporations were not the necessity that every driver and team are absolutely dependent upon in today's world. NHRA most importantly.

Tommy Johnson Jr said last week, he stays and signs every autograph, shakes every hand, and looks everyone in the eyes and thanks them for coming out. It is something that Bernstein taught him a long time ago, and he carries on with today. Because you never know who you are talking to, that may lead, to a lead. Being a hired driver and all. Something some of us do naturally.

This article is on autoweek.com . No small fish, where big fish swim and lurk. More than just NASCAR and F1 followers, leads. $$

As someone who will read this, what do you think their take away of NHRA is, from the words of our 3X champion and his team mate father, if they were considering getting involved in this spectacular motorsport?

How much damage could it cause by blowing a wad about a 14 year old written in black and white rule?

What was truly accomplished?

Still don't see what's wrong with it?

Last edited:
i get the idea. tighten up the points for the last 1/3 of your season and call it the playoffs. there should be increased something because of this; whether attendance,
tv ratings, higher social media traffic, or greater pro racer attendance, but i don't think any of those are happening. and now it's the top 11. texas and vegas 2 seem to draw well,
but then again, they always have regardless of points. the best thing to happen to late season races is billy meyer putting up some extra money.

Wasn't Billy racing part time the past few seasons ?......Wasn't Steve upset when Brittany took the championship from him a few years ago ?......Just F$%#king race and put your piehole on the track.......Countdown is bullsh*t....bring back the points race from before.........Everybody's got something to bitch about when it doesn't go their way........
Absolutely nothing. This is America, where the doors wide open. another very flawed system we won't be talking about.

However, you just compared this, to a time when Corporations were not the necessity that every driver and team are absolutely dependent upon in today's world. NHRA included.

Tommy Johnson Jr said last week, he stays and signs every autograph, shakes every hand, and looks everyone in the eyes and thanks them for coming out. It is something that Bernstein taught him a long time ago, and he carries on with today. Because you never know who you are talking to, that may lead, to a lead. Being a hired driver and all.

This article is printed on autoweek.com , No small fish, where big fish swim and lurk. More than just NASCAR and F1 followers, etc.

As someone who will read this, what will their take away of NHRA be from the words of our 3X champion and his team mate father, if they were considering getting involved in this spectacular motorsport.

How much damage could it cause by blowing a wad about a 14 year old written in black and white rule.

What was truly accomplished?

Still don't see what's wrong with it ...
The playoff has been there for years and most likely isn't going away as many people wish it would. There are lots of rules that racers would like changed but they put up with them because if you want to play in NHRA's yard you play by their rules, if you don't like it go away. Rich cowboy BILLY BILLY obviously doesn't like the playoff but it is what it is and if you don't like it either go back home or shut up and race.

Torrence is probably right, but its a little hard to draw sympathy, for a guy who's team has won nearly every race on the calendar, 4 years running!! i can almost sense the collective 'eye roll' from the other competitors, when they read his comments

Tommy Johnson Jr said last week, he stays and signs every autograph, shakes every hand, and looks everyone in the eyes and thanks them for coming out. It is something that Bernstein taught him a long time ago, and he carries on with today.
Well, That has to be Brandon because for the years that I've been going, I've never seen Kenny look me in the eyes or face. Just signed whatever and was like....who's next.

Well, That has to be Brandon because for the years that I've been going, I've never seen Kenny look me in the eyes or face. Just signed whatever and was like....who's next.
On that topic, I’ve watched Snake totally ignore people standing next to him who want an autograph. I get it, you could do it all day but show some class and manage it. On the other hand, remember when Antron said ‘Hey.... I used to pump septic tanks for a living so I’ll sign autographs all damn day’. He knows wherehe came from.

Billy T has a valid point. His son kicks butt all season long and the points are tightened WAY up for the final 6 (now 7) races to the point the championship can be won by qualifying points or the part timer (Billy T) who is currently leading the Count Down. So what’s the real reason for people's angst about NHRA’s points system?

NHRA doesn’t necessarily care WHO wins the championship. They only care about the following:
1. NHRA demands a Championship win at the World Finals for at least one of their Pro Classes.
2. NHRA demands a TV ratings win for the last six seven races.
3. NHRA wants the low knowledge fans at the last race see a Championship crowned. (High knowledge fans will know when the very best team had just one bad round at the last race.)
4. NHRA also wants the teams to go for the little points in all four three qualifying passes.

5. By having three “Q’s” instead of four, the teams won’t damage or spend as much which helps the lower funded teams more and yet all teams budgets are reduced.
6. Teams won’t get as much information and it makes Sunday’s race more of a crap shoot. The big teams still know more from having data from two or more cars.
7. The 7 teams that are in 4th to 10th* place get a break by reducing their “no chance” points position to a “realistic chance” position in the Count Down points reshuffle. (*add 11th plus now)

8. Big teams get an advantage by getting qualifying points which only makes the front 4 or 5 cars run hard as those typically in the back don’t have a realistic chance and will always lose ground over it.

9. The Count Down increases the value of the last six seven tracks (plus Indy)
10. the Count Down reducing the track and race value of the previous 15 races. Each previous race isn’t as valuable with the “points reset” and it’s why teams like Billy’s and Erica’s can skip some tracks altogether.

11. Fans lose at the “Pre Count Down” races by seeing a weaker show as only 4 or 5 cars go for the qualifying points every qualifier and even those points don’t mean much as all points get compressed after Indy.
12. Fans lose at the “Pre Count Down” races as they probably see a weaker show as many aren’t full fields and teams that want to be in the Count Down by going to all races don’t have to go hard at any race to qualify for the Count Down.
13. NHRA’s TV shows for races before Indy must suffer a little when drag racing’s astute fans just check Drag Race Central’s round postings and don’t watch the show. (that’s me.) Those races just aren’t as important anymore. (Numerous times I’ve checked my cell phone for NHRA results while attending Duck X or OSW races.)

THE WINNERS AND LOSERS:

#1 thru 4 NHRA and low knowledge fans, win.
#5 thru 7 The smaller, lower funded/sponsored teams get a break. (That is important.)
#8 It’s much easier for the quickest cars to win the Championship. (Not a bad thing.)
#9 Hurt’s the tracks that are not Count Down tracks. (Not good for drag racing.)
#11-13 Hurt’s the fans who go to or watch on TV the “Pre Count Down” races.

Life’s not fair. Neither is NHRA Drag Racing but they usually try to be. (I did not mention politics once.)
Billy T is right and he has the right to say what he believes is right.

Last edited:
Some people don't follow their own advice. I am telling you what Tommy said he does.
Maybe he said shoestrings Joe ... 🙃

Last edited:
isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? nhra knows this. they tweaked the deal a little this year letting full time touring teams be eligible
if they made 2 Q attempts at every event. hopefully they will continue to tweak the playoff rules so there is some more positive from it, especially for the racers. pretty sure the majority of fans
attend their closest annual national event, regardless of whether the race is pre or post season; and they have a blast every year.

On that topic, I’ve watched Snake totally ignore people standing next to him who want an autograph. I get it, you could do it all day but show some class and manage it. On the other hand, remember when Antron said ‘Hey.... I used to pump septic tanks for a living so I’ll sign autographs all damn day’. He knows wherehe came from.
Snake was probably the most intense driver/owner in the sport and not real nice at the races, especially if he lost. If you watch his interview with Steve Gibbs he agrees he was that way and explains it. If you read his book you can see why he was the way he was.

If there was only something Billy could do to polish his reputation. Oh I know NOT pull a .165 light when racing his son. His opinion of the points system seems less valiant now.
Billy Billy wouldn't lose for his son.....only if Ma Ma Kay told him too. Sorry they probably raced heads up, he just had a terrible reaction time and the car was a tenth off what it had been running all weekend. Some days you win some days you lose.

Billy Billy wouldn't lose for his son.....only if Ma Ma Kay told him too. Sorry they probably raced heads up, he just had a terrible reaction time and the car was a tenth off what it had been running all weekend. Some days you win some days you lose.
At the 2018 Arizona Nationals, Billy raced Steve in the semis and they both ran 3.72s. I asked Billy afterward if he ever considered laying down for Steve. His reply, "No f*****' way."

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to see Billy take the big trophy back to Kilgore.

But he don't want it. or something.

He can drive a race car, that's for sure.

And some days you’re aware that if Steve loses an early round, you might be giving the championship away.

They've been consistently anti-countdown for some time. I think if you benefit from it and stay quiet then complain when it works against you, then that is whining. If you are consistent in the critique through time then it's not whining.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back