BIG speeds in pro stock (1 Viewer)

StarLink
High Speed Internet
Available AnyWhere On Earth
Now $349

Wallace online calculators ( Wallace Racing - Automotive Calculators )
sez 1,640 horsepower is required for an E.T. OF 6.52 (NHRA NATIONAL RECORD) @2350 pounds, and 1,840 hp for a speed of 212 (NHRA NATIONAL RECORD,) again, at 2,350 pounds.

Seems awfully high, to me...

Last edited:
I'm certainly no expert either, but I would tend to doubt the 1,700 number too, Fred. Between Yates, Richards, Reinhart and Ferri, surely someone could accurately chime in on this number.

Guys??

Sean D

At first I wasn't going to comment on this thread but after some thought I thought why not. I mean you cant race dynos anyways even though people love to do that. I'd rather not say how much power we make but I do have a formula that I feel works out fairly close. First you need to take the size of the engine divided by the number of cylinders. Take that number and multiply it by the E.T. the car ran. Take that number and add the weight of the car to it. Add the number 125 if its an automatic and 225 if its a stick car. This next part will seem a little tricky but stick with me here. Add 12 if its a GM, 14 for a Mopar, and finally give a Ford 16. Take that number and divide it by the drivers weight. Then take that number and subtract the zip code of the address of where you are dynoing at and that should be about the H.P. level of your engine. I hope this helps a bit. :D

Last edited:
>>>" I'm not actually going to say how much power we make"

Why?

Do you think it will somehow put you at a strategic disadvantage?

That makes as much sense as your formula... Get real.

Last edited:
At first I wasn't going to comment on this thread but after some thought I thought why not. I mean you cant race dynos anyways even though people love to do that. I'd rather not say how much power we make but I do have a formula that I feel works out fairly close. First you need to take the size of the engine divided by the number of cylinders. Take that number and multiply it by the E.T. the car ran. Take that number and add the weight of the car to it. Add the number 125 if its an automatic and 225 if its a stick car. This next part will seem a little tricky but stick with me here. Add 12 if its a GM, 14 for a Mopar, and finally give a Ford 16. Take that number and divide it by the drivers weight. Then take that number and subtract the zip code of the address of where you are dynoing at and that should be about the H.P. level of your engine. I hope this helps a bit. :D

Beer, meet laptop screen....:D

Thanks, Nick...

Sorry about your honest question being completely abused Bob. It is what it's become, I'm afraid. It's what's left in the bucket after a proctologist's long day of hemorrhoid removal, right??

The big speeds are amazing, these teams are very skilled. I get so tired of watching qualifying and have them rush threw PS and PS bikes just so we can get our 100th interview with funny car team/ driver. It seems every year PS stuff gets less and less attention.

Sorry about your honest question being completely abused Bob. It is what it's become, I'm afraid. It's what's left in the bucket after a proctologist's long day of hemorrhoid removal, right??

apparently no one knows huh Bobby? Doesn't surprise me anymore. Too many "fans" like to get involved in the drama and could care less about the obvious hard work and innovation that has got this "sport/business" to the mind numbing speeds and e.t.'s that we see now. They prefer to comment on what they think they know.
Maybe I'll call Alan R. he would probably know. Everytime I listen to him on the audio doing sportsman, I have more respect and admiration for his knowledge of what is going on. and he has pretty damn good "shtick" as well. Not kissing up Alan, just a few props where props are due.

>>>" I'm not actually going to say how much power we make"

Why?

Do you think it will somehow put you at a strategic disadvantage?

That makes as much sense as your formula... Get real.

Next time you are at a race, ask Joe Stock Eliminator how much horsepower his 69 A/SA Camaro make and you will know why Nick will not touch that.:)

In a PM from Tom Sweeny in 3/08 he typed this:

I use 20 H.P. per MPH at the top end, so if you run 202 and everyone else is running 207 you need 100 hp and the gearing to run it.

I'm not privy to any dyno numbers but I'd doubt that they are at 3HP/cube, but to even approach that is amazing. I wish Comp had raced at Virginia, usually A/D, A/A, etc. run well when PS runs well, for obvious reasons.

apparently no one knows huh Bobby? Doesn't surprise me anymore. Too many "fans" like to get involved in the drama and could care less about the obvious hard work and innovation that has got this "sport/business" to the mind numbing speeds and e.t.'s that we see now. They prefer to comment on what they think they know.
Maybe I'll call Alan R. he would probably know. Everytime I listen to him on the audio doing sportsman, I have more respect and admiration for his knowledge of what is going on. and he has pretty damn good "shtick" as well. Not kissing up Alan, just a few props where props are due.

Alan's been a bit busy lately, Bob...

10-13-09_1128.jpg

Out of the Mustang... Ouch..:p

Who cares? PRO MOD is 100 times better than pro stock!
Who cares? FUNNY CAR is 100 times better than pro mod!:rolleyes:

It's really amazing to see how far the Pro Stock cars have come since 1970. They were running 10 second e.t.'s back then.
Another way to look at it, these slingshots could barely run those e.t.'s.............
Tommy-Ivo-4-w.jpg

and it wasn't until the end of '72 that the funny cars were running them.
3100601725_43fe670bc6.jpg

On the cusp of 6.40's???

All the Pro Stock haters can say what they want, but if you can't appreciate what these guys are extracting out of 500 inches without the bottle or a belt then I'm not sure what to tell you.............:confused:

Sean D

I thought all Doorslammer Fans were fans of any Door Class? Guess that is NOT the case. I enjoy the Pro mods as much as I do Alky and the Fuel cars. However anyone who doesn't think running 6.50's at over 210 without a Power adder isn't impressive is Naive!:rolleyes:

Armand Keller wrote:

"Next time you are at a race, ask Joe Stock Eliminator how much horsepower his 69 A/SA Camaro make and you will know why Nick will not touch that."

My best friend, Bobby Roper, runs an A/SA car in NHRA's Stock Eliminator. As it happens, it's a '69 Camaro (425hp/427).

He tells anyone who asks how much power it makes; 620 HP. Why wouldn't he???
Since the new blown, injected, 4-valve Mustangs make over 700, in the same class, (but are factored [425]; less than his Camaro) it's a moot point... nobody's gonna outrun them, heads-up....

I assume you're thinking that his answer would give the NHRA factoring committee ammunition to pile on more HP to his combination's factor???

Well, the NHRA people who run that show, do what they damn well please with Stock and S/S HP factors, and answer to no one.... so, I don't think that would be the case here.

Pro Stock cars have "spec" motors for the most part, and don't have to worry about horsepower factors, so I can't imagine a legitimate reason for witholding this sort of information from the general public.

It's not like I'm going to use that number as a springboard for the construction of my next Pro Stocker. LOL!

Nobody's trying to steal "speed secrets," here... and the dissemination of a ball-park figure of what an engine makes isn't going to benefit anyone in a strategic-advantage way. When these cars are all running within a couple of miles-per-hour of each other, it's pretty obvious that they all make reasonably close to the same amount of horsepower.

I fail to see a legitimate reason why that should be a big secret. Lots of folks who work in the industry already know, anyway. Posting it on a board such as this would seem totally harmless, to me...

my 2-cents.... or, less...

Bill

Last edited:
Bill,

I talked to alot of racers before I built my 283 superstocker motor and none of them would give me horsepower numbers. The guy with the fastest 283 told me "I will tell you anything but horsepower and 3 speed transmission gear ratios"(this was after they changed the rule and I just brought a powerglide). I myself is like Bobby, if someone ask me, I will show them the dyno sheets. Because I don't think it would cause any harm, but some guys I asked acted like I was trying to get their wife's phone number.
Also the guy with the fastest 283 is constantly giving me weight and my car haven't hit the track. Thank AFHS.:)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back