Big Daddy Speaks, Brandon Goes Supersonic (1 Viewer)

woody

Nitro Member
"Big Daddy" Don Garlits had plenty to say when he sat down recently with 1320 TV's Susan Wade in his office at Ocala, Florida. Find out what he would do if he were to find himself in charge of the NHRA, what he'll remember most about Wally Parks, and even what he thinks of this year's Presidential race. You won't want to miss any of our four-part pre-U.S. Nationals special video. You'll find it, along with an article, in 1320 TV's "Dialed In" section.

Also in "Dialed In" is footage from Brandon Bernstein's day with the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds at McChord Air Force Base at Tacoma, Washington.

Check it all out here: 1320 TV

Gotta watch at home.

Susan Wade is excellent and Don Garlits knows absolutely everything about everything. He's the best informed individual in drag racing since the day drag racing was first invented! Big is always interesting.

Thanks for the link!

-90% Jimmy

Big Daddy for President... that older gentleman has a handle on things that most Americans couldn't begin to grasp!

Susan Wade does an awesome job!! Nice job!

I remember after Doug Herbert's explosion Garlits was adament that NHRA cut the Fuel cars to 50%! That's when the redflags went up for me, I as well as everyone else here appreciates what Don has done for the sport. But I would NOT want him running this sport, he make changes so drastic it would kill it before it ever had a chance!

I remember after Doug Herbert's explosion Garlits was adament that NHRA cut the Fuel cars to 50%! That's when the redflags went up for me, I as well as everyone else here appreciates what Don has done for the sport. But I would NOT want him running this sport, he make changes so drastic it would kill it before it ever had a chance!
Joe,

That's the exact sentiment Wally Parks had about Garlits and was proven wrong in most cases!

Click this link below

YouTube - Don Garlits Words of Wisdom

it is a video I made of exceprts from "the Close Calls" video (with Don's permission and blessing)

it has some of the greatest Words of Wisdom he has ever shared

What he says to the children at the end is awesome.

also has a great story about what happened after his foot was blown in half.

I posted this somewhere else but in case someone missed it.

It is good someone is listening to him. I e-mailed him to speak up after the Kallita crash and he said he was told to shut -up and that he thought no one would listen.

Mike

I watched (listened) to all four parts of the interview and I gotta tell ya, I have a ton of respect and admiration for "Big." In my most humble opinion, the best line in the entire interview was when he said something to the effect that we don't have Statesmen anymore, we only have politicians. How incredibly true... and not just in Washington. NHRA. The Navy. NASCAR. I could go on and on.

Furthermore, I found his direct and unequivocal opinions of the late Wally Parks to be a breath of fresh air. Don't misunderstand me, I have a lot of respect for what Wally accomplished, both for himself and for our great sport, but he didn't walk on water and clearly, he wasn't perfect. In the Navy we have an expression about being in a leadership position at the same command for too long - there comes a time when one stops being part of the solution and begins being part of the problem. Maybe that was Wally? Just look at the changes since his passing...

"Big" has always had solutions - even when people weren't willing to listen. In hearing these interviews, that doesn't seem to have changed. Maybe, just maybe, someone will listen for a change.

Great stuff, thanks for the link.

Last edited:
truly a leader.
also agree with his '.....no statesmen, only politicians'.
thank you 1320tv.com and susan wade.

Good old Don Garlits , does he look tired to anyone else in this interview . He seems to be showing his age this year . I hope he is around for a long time yet though .

I saw him at he Gators, he looked great. The bit with Susan Wade was not shot ( filmed ) well , with him next to her in that chair. But Susan did a fine job , asking enough questions to keep Big talking. Thanks Sue.

I finally got part 2 to load properly and found it interesting how he ses that the lake of names or nicknames on the side of the cars is bad for the sport .

I finally got part 2 to load properly and found it interesting how he ses that the lake of names or nicknames on the side of the cars is bad for the sport .

Look at photos of old funny cars, and you see he's right. The driver was the star, not just the car .... and sponsor.

If I get the date of interview right, he wanted to slow them down and go to 1000 ft. before the accident involving Scott.

Big seems to think just putting a limit on the fuel pumps would do the trick, so if that works and it slows them to 250mph or 275mph, can we go back to 1320 ?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back