Barry Setzer Passes (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
Saw on FB that Barry Setzer passed on January 31st. I remember reading about his red Vega FC as a kid, and the wild wedge TF car he had John Buttera build, which is in Big's museum. He wasn't involved in the sport for a real long time, but he sure made an impact while he was. RIP Mr. Setzer

Setzer's car was gorgeous.
I shot the attached picture at the '72 National Challenge at Tulsa. Unfortunately, the colors on the Ektachrome slide film have not held up very well in the ensuing 50(!) years.
Setzer.jpg

Saw on FB that Barry Setzer passed on January 31st. I remember reading about his red Vega FC as a kid, and the wild wedge TF car he had John Buttera build, which is in Big's museum. He wasn't involved in the sport for a real long time, but he sure made an impact while he was. RIP Mr. Setzer
Actually, Setzer having Buttera build the wedge TF car is not how it came about. Butterra, and Louie Teckenoff who was experienced with monocoque design, built it as a special project. Then when Buttera realised he didn't have the budget to run it, he enlisted Setzer and his team to take it over.

Actually, Setzer having Buttera build the wedge TF car is not how it came about. Butterra, and Louie Teckenoff who was experienced with monocoque design, built it as a special project. Then when Buttera realised he didn't have the budget to run it, he enlisted Setzer and his team to take it over.
I actually remember that now that you say it. I also remember the issue of Drag Racing USA that had the awesome feature story on the car. It was cool to see it at Garlits' museum last year.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back