Aussie Funny Car (1 Viewer)

pete

Nitro Member
Maybe the seventies were worse than I thought, but I think I recall an item before the season began about a guy from Oz planning to run Nitro Funny Car this year. Does anyone else remember this, or am I having senior moments? Again.:eek:

Maybe the seventies were worse than I thought, but I think I recall an item before the season began about a guy from Oz planning to run Nitro Funny Car this year. Does anyone else remember this, or am I having senior moments? Again.:eek:

No you are not. Look Garry McGrath is a great guy, but it's just going to happen... Not this season anyway IMO. I would like it too though.

But look out for Aaron lynch an Aussie Pro Mod and TAFC racer to be in Vegas driving a F/C...

MEDIA RELEASE
Wednesday 14th March 2007

Aaron Lynch to Give Nitro a Go…

B&L Steel’s Aaron Lynch and 4 Aussie crew mates will be heading off to the USA at the end of the month to live out a dream and to experience drag racing from the other side of the water. Lynch purchased his 2006 Monte Carlo Nitro Funny Car a little over 6 months ago, complete with spare motors and transportation. “We’ve got a proven Plueger chassis that’s been fitted out with new parts and late model equipment” said Lynch, “and I want to give driving (what I consider), the baddest vehicle on the planet a go.”

The team will meet up with the B&L Steel US racing operation at the drag strip in Bakersfield, California to conduct testing for about a week. Spike Gorr will be tuning the Monte Carlo and overseeing the mixed Aussie and US crew. As Lynch already has a Group 1 ANDRA licence, he is able to upgrade this licence by completing competence testing and running a minimum of 5.50 seconds at 250mph. “I need two drivers of the same class to witness the run to get signed off for racing”. “If we get licensed and we have enough equipment left to compete, the NHRA are holding open a spot for us at the Las Vegas meeting in early April”. Lynch was adamant about not having any particular long term plans, “I have no intention of making any plans right now, I want us all to go to the US, make some new friends, share the experience and learn some new things, whatever happens, happens”.

The team will have their hands full, as when they return from the US, they will be competing at the Tin Top Titles in Queensland with the Top Doorslammer. It was at this meeting last year that the B&L Steel 63 Corvette became the second Top Doorslammer to run in the five second zone. A feat that they will always be on the hunt for, “we, like every other team, are always looking for the best possible run given the track conditions on the day. After we ran the 5.97 at 245.77mph pass, we wanted to do more. Now however, Rooksie (Paul Rooks – Crew Chief) and I are more about winning races which requires us to focus on the track and race day conditions, not so much about running another five”. Here in Australia, Aaron has his hands full running two Top Doorslammers and one Alcohol Funny Car which, when competing at the same event, can sometimes become stressful from a preparation point of view. He and Rooksie bounce ideas off each other from a driver and tuners perspective before making decisions together. Once the decisions are made and Aaron is on the startline, he enjoys the driving jobs on both cars. “The cars do handle differently but the spirits of the two brackets are slightly different, I love both brackets as I believe they have so much to offer the spectator and I think that if we can get some TV time we can capitalise on the excitement”.

Aaron’s team will leave on 29th March and be return to Australia on Wednesday 18th April.
ENDS

For more information contact:
Aaron Lynch

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back