Favorite Nitro Burning Camaro Funny Car? (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
Holy moly can this one open up a can of flopper worms. Your favorite nitro burning Camaro Funny Car, any era.

Maybe one of these?

Ron O' Donnell Chapman Automotive Outa Site
"Professor" Kelly Chadwick
Pisano Bros
"Big" Mike Burkhart
Bruce Larson USA-1
"Mr. Chevrolet" Dick Harrell
Bob Sullivan's "Pandemonium"
Dick Rosberg's "Fighting Irish"
Jungle Jim
Gervase O' Neal's "King Rat"

Those are a scant few of the very many, who ya got?

[email protected] watching Kelly Chadwick's "Steakley Chevrolet" Injected door S/XS on a Saturday at Lions with my dad workin' over a chile tamale!

1592274092411.png

Sifting through all of the many great Camaro FCs through the years I think I'm going to pick Jungle Jim's '71 Honest Charley/Brigg's Chevrolet Camaro. I loved that pure cyan blue (a blue w/ no red in it) over pearl white. JJ's '70 season Camaro was cool but I preferred the mini Camaro face of the '71. And like so many I wasn't a fan of any red JJ car (Novas, Camaros, Vegas or Monzas). Because the '72 JJ Camaro was very similar looking I'd call that a close second. That one had the flames and JJ's first narrow/dragster cage chassis.

If I had to pick a non-JJ Camaro I think I'd say the '71 Mike Burkhart Camaro driven by Charlie Therwhanger. It was a great combination of amazing performances and a unique color scheme. This was arguably the last true competitive Chevy-powered FC. In fact, Therwhanger won the very first IHRA national event at Rockingham (defeated the Hawaiian in the final). The paint was a dark candy maroon w/ orange faded panels, separated by thin yellow stripes.

Attachments

• 71 JJ-Geo.Houraney, National Studios.png
    71 JJ-Geo.Houraney, National Studios.png
    766.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 71 JJ, NE pits.jpg
    71 JJ, NE pits.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 71 Burkhart-Therwhanger.jpg
    71 Burkhart-Therwhanger.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 23
Does Force's Mustang turned Camaro count? :)
I am a visual person and not taking anything away of the graphic folks who have done great jobs, would like to see side by side comparisons without paint and graphics, to back this claim up.

Yes I agree most of the "modern" AA/FC do look like sleds!

I am a visual person and not taking anything away of the graphic folks who have done great jobs, would like to see side by side comparisons without paint and graphics, to back this claim up.

I think he is referring to when Force switched to Chevrolet. They didn’t have a Camaro body ready yet and they literally put Camaro decals on their Mustang bodies.

Mike Burkhart's Doran Chevrolet Camaro, first FC I ever saw make a pass (Green Valley, Ft Worth). I remember my jaw dropping as it ran 190mph, quite a feat in 1967. I'm sure Mike had a nickname but 'Tiny' wasn't it. Look inside the car.... :oops:

1_burkhart__mike_1.jpg

My favorite Camaro in 2023 isn't a Funny Car at all but rather a bracket racer looking doorslammer with a bit of chemical assistance.

Untitled (259x194).jpg

Last edited:

agreed, except the Tosca designed Mustang it looks like most came from the same mold. Put a Camero, Dodge or? Wrap and you can be whatever your sponsors want

No, Really?😵 Did that really happen? I am serious.
Yes, lol. This is all I could find on it.

Yes, lol. This is all I could find on it.
Had never seen that before! Great read. Thank You!

Ed McCulloch early 84 Camaro they called a Cutlass because the first Olds Firenza body wasn't done yet. Looked super cool with the huge Crower 8 port injector. I think he only ran it Pomona, Gainesville, Atlanta.

John Collins JVC Camaro

Ron Capps first Copenhagen car in 97. Simple, but I really liked it.

Last edited:
Well we can't even have this conversation without a couple of the great earlier FCs; Bruce Larson's Gen 2, and Dick Harrell's beautiful '69.

Attachments

• 8-20-71 Larson USA 1.jpg
    8-20-71 Larson USA 1.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Dick Harrell Beeline.jpg
    Dick Harrell Beeline.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
But a personal favorite even though they were not "full tour" racers. Seen occasionally at tracks local to their northern Ohio home, the Wahlay Bros. I got to see this car making some of its initial shakedown runs, and like their previous Barracuda FC, it was a great looking car.
warlord.jpg

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back