Atlanta Track (1 Viewer)

willy

Nitro Member
Well I don't see where anyone else has started one.

It appears that the track is awesome! Qualifying looked great. Both lanes appear to be equal at this point..and it was wonderful to see full pulls from both sides..and that's with 122 degrees track temp.

I'm hoping Sunday stays the same. I know it's always tricky out there.

Is the same crew that's done the previous doing this one? Did they learn something from earlier or what? After NHRA got pounded the last 2 weeks over conditions..this was a nice surprise.

Kudos to whoever is responsible for a fair race track..so far

Well I don't see where anyone else has started one. It appears that the track is awesome! Qualifying looked great. Both lanes appear to be equal at this point..and it was wonderful to see full pulls from both sides..and that's with 122 degrees track temp.
I'm hoping Sunday stays the same. I know it's always tricky out there.
Is the same crew that's done the previous doing this one? Did they learn something from earlier or what? After NHRA got pounded the last 2 weeks over conditions..this was a nice surprise.Kudos to whoever is responsible for a fair race track..so far

A couple of bumps in the left lane, but traction does appear to be equal. You aren't going to rotate the earth with track temps of 120+. Tuners who get it right will have a fighting chance Sunday. Fire 'em Up!

They did a good job on the track (I was only there Friday). I wish it was not such a cluster getting out of the parking area Friday night. Maybe they put the normal track crew on traffic detail.

Last edited:
It's too bad it took an internet Scold job to get NHRA to pull their heads out of their Ass! That's some of the best qualifying I've seen in 2-3 years at least, especially since it was in the 80's!;)

It's too bad it took an internet Scold job to get NHRA to pull their heads out of their Ass! That's some of the best qualifying I've seen in 2-3 years at least, especially since it was in the 80's!;)

Maybe now they can fix the stupid qualifying system. What's with all these ......ahhhh, the hell with it. NHRA BAH!

I think it will (would) be interesting to see the "official" party line. Did they make a change to the track prep procedure................or was it business as usual??? Enquiring minds want to know. :)

When they showed the 3rd session and I saw all those side by side runs, my first thought was that has to be a cool track. Then they showed it was like 115-117 Track temp during that 3rd session, which told me NHRA's been reading all the negative press about Vegas!

Careful Joe.........your remarks will make someone jump on here to say "THEY" don't read this, don't care what anyone on this or any message board says, or that we are stupid for even complaining or thinking complaining changes anything. :)

We were up there on 7 March doing an event for the top 25 Motorcraft dealers in the country and the track was HORRIBLE. It was so bad that our Super Comp cars were sitting at the line for a half-second smoking the tires, then they would launch. The dealers got to drive stock Mustang GTs on the track and they were breaking loose also. Our intent was to also cross-grade my license to door cars, but the track was so bad, there was no way a "representative run" would have been done. I was REALLY worried about what was going to happen at the National event.

With that said, I am stunned with the amount of traction that the track had this weekend. I didn't hear any complaints from Sportsmen or Pros. The A/Fuel cars were running at the expected level, considering the 3000' density altitude that we had on Friday/Saturday. I think Bill Reichert ran a 5.29 on Saturday and Spencer Massey ran a 5.24 today.

Great job on turning that track around in 6 weeks!

NOW SOMEBODY CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG, AFTER LAST SEASON ATLANTA RACEWAY RESURFACED THE TRACK FROM CONCRETE STARTING LINE, ASPHALT TO THE FINISH LINE. WITH THAT SAID WHY IN THE H??L IS THERE A BUMP IN THE LEFT LANE TRANSITION FROM CONCRETE TO ASPHALT. WITH TODAY'S USE OF LASERS AND MODERN EQUIPMENT THE TRACK SHOULD BE SMOOTH FROM START TO FINISH. I KNEW FROM THE EARLIER PICTURES THAT SHOWED THE BIG EXPANSION THAT WAS LEFT IN THAT LANE THIS WAS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM. I KNOW SOME TEAMS WERE ABLE TO GET PAST IT BUT EVERY TEAM WANTED THE RIGHT BECAUSE THE ODDS WERE AGAINST THEM GETTING PAST IT. THIS JUST CONTINUES TO SHOW NHRA MANAGEMENTS LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF HOW THE TRACK SHOULD BE SURFACED AND MAINTAINED. LOOK AT TALLADAGA RACE TRACK, HIGH BANK 2.66 MILE SURFACE AND IT'S PERFECTLY SMOOTH. IF THE TRACK HAD BEEN DONE RIGHT THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN BEST RACE OF THE YEAR.

I don't see what the problem is. That was the best racing of the year so far. Equal number of wins in both lanes. Didn't hear 1 driver complain.

I don't see where the negativity is..the race was awesome.

I don't see what the problem is. That was the best racing of the year so far. Equal number of wins in both lanes. Didn't hear 1 driver complain.

I don't see where the negativity is..the race was awesome.

DAVID, THE RACE WAS GREAT , THANKS TO THE CREW CHIEFS BUT IT COULD HAVE BEEN THE BEST. THE BUMPS AND DIPS IN THESE TRACKS ARE UNACCEPTABLE AT THIS LEVEL OF RACING. I MEAN THIS IS A NEW SURFACE, AND IT HAS A BUMP OR DIP IN THE TRANSITION?

When they interviewed Beard during the show on Sunday (I think) he stated they had used more traction compound (VHT) than before. It sure made a difference and no excessive engine damage or tire concerns throughout the weekend.

Missed that interview Dave......but you are right about it making a huge difference!!

By far the best racing all year, I hope it continues. Love to see the side by side stuff again, that's the stuff it takes to get a casual fan watching!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back