Artificial Points Chase - Jon Asher (1 Viewer)

The same format that NASCAR has is why I dont care to watch it anymore. I am a fan of all motorsports and the points deal that NASCAR has and soon to be NHRA just sucks in my opinion. If you have a race season that is 23 races long, then at the end of those races the ones with the most points wins. Thats not so hard to understand...otherwise just shorten the year and crown your champion in September and get it overwith.

Lets just piss off more sponsors so they will go others places to play.

Brand X beer won the last four races of the year but that dont matter because he was outside the "window" by one point and is now a non-racer.

Bring on the clowns and just have the four cars run. The TV show could be shorter than an infomercial and fit any time slot.

Bob

If its such a good idea why keep it secret?
Why not let the four classes vote and run it by major sponsors first?
On paper it looks good but as most have noted press will fall over the eight at the expence of the rest.
Mess up now and the eight will be all the field anyway.
Guess they are hastening it on.

What part of this don't you like?
TOM COMPTON: That was the primary reason to be honest with you. We've always wanted to be up in the Detroit area. We've looked at race tracks there since I've been with the company and have never been able to make anything work. We think with Norwalk being equidistant between Columbus and Detroit, we'll draw from both. It's also approximately the same distance from Pittsburgh, where, believe it or not, we draw 9 to 10 percent of the fans, and then again it's also closer to Cleveland and Toledo. Looking at the long run, trying to expose the sport to as many people as possible, we thought that was the best move.

Can I call Tom Compton a TOOL and get away with it? :eek:

This guy is clueless between Compton and ESPN we are SCREWED!

I think I will be watching IHRA on SPEED a little more next year.

I think I will be watching IHRA on SPEED a little more next year.
You guys with all this 'I'm going to watch and race IHRA' talk kills me. You know damn good and well as soon as '07 is here nobody will mention this again.

I dare everyone that says so to back it up and give IHRA a chance. Other wise quit teasing me and trying to fool NHRA into thinking you'll do anything different.

Not picking on you directly Steve - you just hapen to be the last post I've seen after seeing about 1/2 dozen others making similar claims.

Can't we just all get along and love drag racing for what it is?

You guys with all this 'I'm going to watch and race IHRA' talk kills me. You know damn good and well as soon as '07 is here nobody will mention this again.

I dare everyone that says so to back it up and give IHRA a chance. Other wise quit teasing me and trying to fool NHRA into thinking you'll do anything different.

Not picking on you directly Steve - you just hapen to be the last post I've seen after seeing about 1/2 dozen others making similar claims.

sure i'll be at gainesville to see KB back in a F/C. I'm a fan for life.
But this new points system still sucks.
I can't say for sure I 'll care to watch so much on ESPN any more. if I can figure out what time it's on.

and don't laugh about IHRA. I enjoyed the hell out of seein Dale Creasy JR. win a race. Chances are you won't see that at an NHRA race.

but who cares, I have a feeling it didn't make a bit of difference to him. nhra ihra a race is a race.

they don't do the t-shirt bottle rockets at ihra races do they?
:D

I understand Jim. I'm a fan PERIOD... I do not like the new points thing but I will be there next year either way!! I will watch every race... I will run my league... I will enjoy the competition....

...AND I will bitch about what I don't like!!!!!

(just seems normal).... :D :eek:

Jon Asher wrote:
Maybe NHRA is right. Maybe this will result in tighter and more exciting points races, for surely there have been too many years with the only excitement at the Finals being who’d win the race, because the titles had long since been decided.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there not enough excitement in our sport anymore that the actual OUTCOME of the individual race has become passe and its all about who wins the "World Championship" at the end of the season??? I think I'll hope that I can see ALL the cars run on Saturday, hope to see a good show on sunday, and check the spill plates in February to see who got the big #1, cause this points stuff just seems pointless now....

HEY! Is the NHRA trying to destroy itself? Are they trying to drive the sponsors even farther away? You can not tell me the racers are for this points system in 2007. NHRA take a lesson from my father. My father always said "Put Your Brain In Gear, Before You Put Your Actions And Mouth In Motion!":mad:

Jon Asher wrote:
Maybe NHRA is right. Maybe this will result in tighter and more exciting points races, for surely there have been too many years with the only excitement at the Finals being who’d win the race, because the titles had long since been decided.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there not enough excitement in our sport anymore that the actual OUTCOME of the individual race has become passe and its all about who wins the "World Championship" at the end of the season??? I think I'll hope that I can see ALL the cars run on Saturday, hope to see a good show on sunday, and check the spill plates in February to see who got the big #1, cause this points stuff just seems pointless now....

wonderful point...it seems that in almost all motor sports now days winning a race isn't the "big deal" that it once was (this is especially true in NASCAR)...it's all about the points chase and a championship...

I miss the days when winning the Winter Nationals or the Gator Nationals (or the Southern 500) was the goal, not just more 'round wins' on the way to a championship

I think maybe that's why I've found myself following sports car racing again; where winning Le Mans or Sebring is still a BIG DEAL...<shrug>

actually I will be. I went to an IHRA nationals this year. GRanted the biggest names aren't there(yet) but they still go fast, I still get my nitro fix and as an added bonus its much cheaper than going to an nhra race PLUS they will actually allow the drivers to race for a championship.

Just say no the nhra welfare points system

ya know how some of the reality/game type tv shows always try to install those dramatic moments. The scripted, forced drama. Thats what nhra is trying to do. You know what made last years funny car chase so damn exciting? It's because it was special, it it happened all the time it would take away from that.

Now we've regressed back to when the winner of the finals was the season champ.

ya know how some of the reality/game type tv shows always try to install those dramatic moments. The scripted, forced drama. Thats what nhra is trying to do. You know what made last years funny car chase so damn exciting? It's because it was special, it it happened all the time it would take away from that.

Now we've regressed back to when the winner of the finals was the season champ.

damn straight it's just like survivor. all the losers band together and screw over the strongest. nhra must think nhra fans are a bunch of damn fools. they must.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there not enough excitement in our sport anymore that the actual OUTCOME of the individual race has become passe and its all about who wins the "World Championship" at the end of the season??? ...
It's because you've got people who have never made a competitive lap down the 1/4 mile running the show!

The execucrats running NHRA these days have no idea what it takes or means to win a single race to average racer!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back