Article About TV Broadcast Audio (1 Viewer)

The sad part is, they are fixing something that isn't broken. And if you want the sound to be with the cars at all times regardless of what camera view you are looking through, don't show the launch from the 1,000 foot camera. You will always hear it before you see it. Even if it is a .2 second delay it just looks bad. I don't know why they think it's a good idea. Congrats for being on the leading edge of technology, now just try producing a show that matches.

The sad part is, they are fixing something that isn't broken.
Sounds to me like they are improving something that will add to the experience of watching on TV. We all agree that the sound is one part of drag racing that does not convey well to TV and they are making stride towards improving that, so I think that is worthy of some praise.

The sad part is, they are fixing something that isn't broken. And if you want the sound to be with the cars at all times regardless of what camera view you are looking through, don't show the launch from the 1,000 foot camera. You will always hear it before you see it. Even if it is a .2 second delay it just looks bad. I don't know why they think it's a good idea. Congrats for being on the leading edge of technology, now just try producing a show that matches.

Did you read the article? Dolby sound engineers don't have anything to do with the video being out of sync with the audio. They didn't even change anything except they way the mix the sound.

What about that will fix whatever it is that you're bitching about?

Some people just like to bitch about everything. Evidently everything else in their life is mind reading perfect and this product that they consume for free (aside from keyboard callouses) is the worst thing in the world .... but they either continue to watch or they just imagine what is still going on and regularly type out their gripes. Cheap self psychoanalysis I guess (since i am smart enough to complain endlessly, I would do a better job if I were to ever venture out an do anything on my own).

Instead of posting a new thread, I'll reply to this one in hopes of getting the subject going again. The TV Audio is still terrible. Here's what's interesting, on the starting line it's fine....burnout...backing up, staging etc. It's when the race starts when the audio literally goes from quiet....to by the time the cars are at the finish line, in some cases, they are nearly silent! In a sport where the noise of the cars is almost 90% of the reason it's attractive....why does the noise of the machines get diluted so much on TV. It doesn't need to be this way. It just takes time and money. Please do better TV producers.

always thought a camera mounted about 2/3 track on top row of bleachers panning the run, provides a great visual of speed, and the dopler effect of the roar
rushing past you.......you already get the dopler effect when there is a pit interview going on, and a run takes place, which usually pauses the interview for a couple seconds

This article is from 5 years ago, around this time there was also an article from Sony (can't find it now, sadly) stating what their plans were for NHRA.TV, mostly concerning fixing the atrocious audio and working with NHRA to create a modern video presentation.
Sony is gone now, the audio still sucks and NHRA either does not give a crap, or are not aware of the importance of sound in their product, I bet both

Instead of posting a new thread, I'll reply to this one in hopes of getting the subject going again. The TV Audio is still terrible. Here's what's interesting, on the starting line it's fine....burnout...backing up, staging etc. It's when the race starts when the audio literally goes from quiet....to by the time the cars are at the finish line, in some cases, they are nearly silent! In a sport where the noise of the cars is almost 90% of the reason it's attractive....why does the noise of the machines get diluted so much on TV. It doesn't need to be this way. It just takes time and money. Please do better TV producers.
That's because the public address audio is the only audio we get for whatever reason. Since the tower and announcer are at the starting line, Alan's mic picks up the sound from the burnout and the first part of the run, and it becomes fainter as they get further away from the tower.

Hence why I wish Jason Logan would accidentally leave his mic on more often, that's the only time we actually get good audio of the cars

The bad thing about having a camera on spectator side is that they put it in the top row, in a wooden enclosure. They had that at Phx. I was in section 7 and it blocked my view if I was sitting down. There was no camera on Friday, but Sat must have been hard for folks in my section to see the top end. Really kinda pissed me off that they can't find a better location for that camera. I think Pomona has the camera on the street side. Hope so. Hate paying good $$ for a seat and then can't see.

I would put Alan, Brian and Tony on the starting line, legendary announcer Bret Kepner used to announce from the field, brought more excitement from that vantage point. If the cars blow out the announcers voice, that is how it should be, know when to talk in that case. They use way to many words anyway

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back