Are there IHRA statisticians? (1 Viewer)

Billy

Nitro Member
How could they miss these juicy bits regarding the IHRA North American Nationals? (The announcers certainly did, though they are sub-par compared to the NHRA announcers by a huge gap):

- Mark Thomas' Alcohol Funny Car win was his FIRST at the IHRA North American Nationals after being the ONLY driver to compete at every single North American Nationals (1992-93, 1998-2007). However, it is NOT his FIRST win at New England Dragway. His only other win was at the 1992 IHRA Northeast Nitrous Nationals, a non-nitro event that was held in addition to the North American Nationals when New England Dragway was an IHRA track in 1992 & 1993. How could no one recall this juicy bit of drama? To have been to EVERY SINGLE North American Nationals and not won until now!

- The Pro Stock story is equally as interesting. The two finalists (Patrick and Gugliotta) were also the two most recent winners of the event (2006 & 2005). Patrick had also won in 1993, making him the only driver in Pro Stock to win the North American Nationals more than once heading into the final. His foul allowed Gugliotta to join that elite group. No one noticed this either??

-In Pro Modified, there has never been a repeat winner at this event and that continued this year.

I'm sure there's more non-winner related stories, that wouldn't normally be in a press release. But come on - wouldn't this make for a more interesting read?

I've been to plenty of events by both sanctioning bodies and listened to different announcers over the years. There is absolutely NO foundation on which to call one announcer better than another. Every announcer at every different sporting event will have his/her own style. I know that some may seem a little more knowledgable than others, but to call into question someone's ability on a public forum is not too intelligent. Every one would like to hear their own little tidbits of information and trivia I'm sure, but quite frankly, who has been a multi-time winner does absolutely squat for me. At my home event (The Rocky's), there is a ton of history that never gets mentioned. However, if you care about the history and some of the little trivia tidbits, you probably already know the answer (as in your example Billy).

How could they miss these juicy bits regarding the IHRA North American Nationals? (The announcers certainly did, though they are sub-par compared to the NHRA announcers by a huge gap):

- Mark Thomas' Alcohol Funny Car win was his FIRST at the IHRA North American Nationals after being the ONLY driver to compete at every single North American Nationals (1992-93, 1998-2007). However, it is NOT his FIRST win at New England Dragway. His only other win was at the 1992 IHRA Northeast Nitrous Nationals, a non-nitro event that was held in addition to the North American Nationals when New England Dragway was an IHRA track in 1992 & 1993. How could no one recall this juicy bit of drama? To have been to EVERY SINGLE North American Nationals and not won until now!

- The Pro Stock story is equally as interesting. The two finalists (Patrick and Gugliotta) were also the two most recent winners of the event (2006 & 2005). Patrick had also won in 1993, making him the only driver in Pro Stock to win the North American Nationals more than once heading into the final. His foul allowed Gugliotta to join that elite group. No one noticed this either??

-In Pro Modified, there has never been a repeat winner at this event and that continued this year.

I'm sure there's more non-winner related stories, that wouldn't normally be in a press release. But come on - wouldn't this make for a more interesting read?

Great info Billy, good to have your insights.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back