Anyone Remember This? (1 Viewer)

I remember the 79 rainout. We had to wait until Sunday night (2nd weekend) to lose the 1st round of Pro Comp. IHRA cancelled the Alky classes in 1980 so there was no reason to go to that event. I remember the add saying "Bristol has the bucks". They also had the rain.

Kinda sad that payouts do not really seem to influence turnout anymore - re: Huntsville last year. Larry Carrier certainly was a visionary though, not many around like him anymore.

boy , now you really brought back some memories. that was the beginning ,i guess you could say for me. my father went there to run super stock. he built a bed in the back of the pick up truck and put a shell on top of the pick up bed and my brother and i road there during the 8 hour trip. (i guess you could call it the first stages of a toter home:D) . when i went walking around the pits , i was amazed at the sights. 4 door pick-ups with dual rear wheels towing trailers nearly 40 feet long. it was truly incredable. then i went around a corner pit area and saw a tractor trailer all tricked out and painted to match the funny cars they were haulling. the sites and sounds were more than i could ever imagine at 9 years old. friday was awesome watching, but when saturday morning came it was pooring rain and the race was cancelled. i knew then that my future was planned. somewhere i have some pictures from that weekend . i will try to find them and post a couple.

Last edited:
I remember that race, also had (pre-divorce) one of the green "Quarter Mile Dash for a Whole Lotta Cash" t-shirts. I really enjoyed the old IHRA.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back