Another Legend Lost- Sush Matsubara (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
I just learned that Sush Matsubara passed away within the last hour.
There is no other information available at this time.

Sush is probably best known as the driver of the Pisano-Matusbara Revell Funny Car and Mondello & Matsubara Blown Fuel Altered Fiat Topolino, among others.

Please keep his family, friends and many fans in your thoughts and prayers.

More information when available.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the sad info. It was only yesterday when I used to watch the Pisano & Matsubara's candy apple red vega fc at Irwindale. Those were indeed the good ol days.

In the middle '60s Sush & I worked together in West Los Angeles. In the late '60s to early '70s we were business partners in Santa Monica. See you in the Fuel Altered Pits Sush. RIP buddy.

I have a couple of pictures that Howard Hogan posted in one of the Yahoo Groups. He gave me permission to post them. I can't but I'll send them to Kelly and ask her to post it if she has a minute.

Last edited:
God, please not another one... I know you have Your Reasons but Please...

My teenage years have been ripped apart this year, I'm almost at the point of having no more TEARS to shead...

All the passes I watched Sush make, all of Joe and Frankie's car I watch Sush hurt. Geez, I just smiled... Standing right at the tree, Spectator side at OCIR,just walked through the gate, Left Turn Sush, there went the 69 Corvair.
6 weeks later at Ontario, sitting half track on the pit side, Right Turn Sush...
Sush could flat out Drive... Loved watching him in a AA/FA, Loved him In Joe's cars...

RIP Sush... think the card game's at Maz's Truck...

Darr thanks for that link, Did Irwindale have an Overpass near the Finishline? Looked like it in that sequence.:rolleyes:

It is a really sad time when we've lost funny car pioneers like Dyno Don, Ronnie Sox, Big John Mazmanian and now Sush in such a short period of time. As a friend of mine said in an email today, make it to your nearest Hot Rod Reunion to see the legends before they are all gone. :(

Another one has gone. :( So many times, I watched him run at OCIR and Irwindale. Didn't know him, but loved to watch him drive. Gods speed. RIP

Darr... Started reading that link and I said... that sounds like me... then I looked and it was me... Thank You :)

I was there at OCIR that day too, those kind of memories are so interesting to read when you think we all saw drag racing from different parts of the track... the guard rail, grandstand, sitting in a push truck behind the starting line or missing an incident like that crash standing in a hot dog line.

I wish there were similar characters and personalities in drag racing today.

Strangely, I was at Venolia yesterday.

His family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers.

These are from Jackee:

9970115343088.jpg

file00122.jpg

MondelloMatsubara3.jpg

PisanoBros13.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back