All-Star Callouts (1 Viewer)

Slowpoke96z28

Nitro Member
If the goal for the FOX producers is to mimic the grudge racing style of "excitement," I think the callouts need to be team owner and crew chief. The essence of a grudge race is my whip is stronger than yours, and ain't a hired gun you can put in yours that'll change that. I realize, from a marketing and merchandising aspect that the driver is the "star," but the excitement is really about what owner and crew chief have a bug in their ear for another team. A car, a team they want to stomp in the ground every time they line up with each other. The call-out needs to have that "I may not win the championship, but I'll put you on the trailer every time partner" type energy. Not drivers up there talking about "i'll do my best" or something. WTF is that? the $80,000 is nothng to sneeze at, but when these cars run off the dollars they do, something more like points need to be offered to really make it worth a team's effort. Otherwise its just a renamed qualifying round.

Either that, or just get rid of it. Having been around the scenes where real callouts happen, this stuff can just be painful to watch, and you can see its ackward even for some drivers, especially if they grudge?used to also. Certainly I'm not the only one thinking the callouts can be improved...

hear what you're saying curtis, and can't disagree. do not have the answer for improvements. am glad we have these special races by pep-boys,
and am also glad they are trying something different than a points or Q system to set the 8 car bracket. call-out or chip draw. like them both.
just make sure there is no contrived drama. looks silly to everyone.

I like the fact that NHRA has been trying new things but I really was surprised when they introduced call - outs. NHRA Mission Foods series is the Big Show, not some kind of back woods grudge race. The Announcers hype it as being ultra dramatic and the drivers play along. I realize just because I think it's silly maybe a lot of other people feel it adds excitement, drama and brings new fans. I guess I do hope this is the case.

I like the fact that NHRA has been trying new things but I really was surprised when they introduced call - outs. NHRA Mission Foods series is the Big Show, not some kind of back woods grudge race. The Announcers hype it as being ultra dramatic and the drivers play along. I realize just because I think it's silly maybe a lot of other people feel it adds excitement, drama and brings new fans. I guess I do hope this is the case.
the drama really isn't there. Now if JR was in and picked Cruz you might see some drama.

I hear you guys, but I always try to consider what the essence of drag racing is. Whether today's world would call it little ppe-pee energy (lol), toxic masculinity, etc, drag racing isn't just about a competitive nature (otherwise we could all just run one lane and whoever was the quickest wins), but also my program is faster than yours and I'm going to prove it. Big show racing just means it's going to happen in front of everyone.

Also, some pro class drivers, and especially owners, don't come from racing families and have only ever run on a sanctioned track, so no matter how far removed they are from it, they know the grudge and/or street racing scene. At the end of the day FOX or the NHRA, maybe both, are trying to attract that Sam Korkis show crowd by matching the energy of those races. If they're going to, they'd do good imo to tap in that energy that already does exist, or at least did, with the owners and crew chiefs currently on the roster.

saw chip draw for first time at pro stock shootout in orlando 4 years ago (rite at start of covid), i think it was well received, as i believe was same case
last month at shootout in bradenton.

The call out is pretty pathetic Kalitta couldn't talk trash if he wanted to. The drivers are obviously very uncomfortable doing it. They need to find another way to match them up. Chip draw would be a lot better.
More racing and competition is great but they are not call out people.

put 8 mission tortillas in a box with driver's names on them (smallest tortillas they make)
give box to jordan vandergriff and send him up in the stands with microphone. have fans pull tortillas to set first round.
1 thru 8. run a normal bracket. tortilla draw for first round only.

Last edited:
I like the idea of having someone in the stand pull a tortilla outta the box, cuz then the person can eat it. :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back