Alex Laughlin wins Lights Out (1 Viewer)

Pretty impressive win. That field was stacked with really fast cars. It's crazy to think you need to run 3.6's now to have a chance, and we came >< that close to having a 3.59.

Only 1/8 mile wth lol

Those that put down 1/8 mile racing, most likely never raced an 1/8 mile.

These races were never meant to be, or advertised other than anything else.

I would like a count on how many shoes/socks were pulled off over the weekend. :)

Those that put down 1/8 mile racing, most likely never raced an 1/8 mile.

These races were never meant to be, or advertised other than anything else.

I would like a count on how many shoes/socks were pulled off over the weekend. :)
I race 1/8 all the time esp when im doing the 1/4 lol. I can see no preps doing 8th tho

It's insane what these guys are able to do on a radial tire. Very impressive.

I didn't realize that Alex's car had a screw blower. That makes his ET's even more impressive. Was trying to think, what were the best ET's for the old Outlaw PDRA class, and seem to remember 3.48 or like that. The screw cars ran around 221 MPH and The General turbo car ran 230, which I thought was insane for 1/8 mile.

I can’t get excited about 1/8th mile racing. Maybe I would like it with an event like Lights Out. 70 plus cars trying to qualify for 32 spots is awesome.

Guys have run over 250mph on radials in the quarter. They have run 5.80s in that distance as well.

That is some pretty sketchy stuff on many levels as the tires were never designed to see those types of speeds and the reality is that the extra couple of seconds up and down in terms of acceleration and deceleration put huge strains on them.

Radial vs The World is unlike anything else in drag racing. Alex's car is about as far afield from a pro mod as you can get. That car started life as a stock Corvette. It is a real Corvette body and it still rolls on the stock Corvette wheelbase. Yes, it is filled with steel tubing but it is not at all like a pro mod either on top or bottom. The whole class is basically regulated with weight. You get to be lighter with stock wheelbase, you get to be lighter if you take the wheelie bars off, you get to be lighter if you run a small block, etc.

In that class we have ProCharger hemi engines, roots hemi engines, screw blown hemi engines, turbocharged hemi engines, turbocharged, roots, and screw blown big block Wedge engines, small block engines with turbos on them, massive nitrous engines with 4-5 kits on them, and the list goes on and on and on. It's unreal.

Brian

Oh yeah, forgot that next month we'll be right back down there for the Sweet 16 which pays $101,000 to win in RvW and $50,000 in x275. There are 140 x275 cars entered and I think 60-70 RvW cars on the list so far.

That's the race that Duck only sells 500 spectator tickets to at a few hundred bucks a piece. They sold out in less than a day.

Oh yeah, forgot that next month we'll be right back down there for the Sweet 16 which pays $101,000 to win in RvW and $50,000 in x275. There are 140 x275 cars entered and I think 60-70 RvW cars on the list so far.

That's the race that Duck only sells 500 spectator tickets to at a few hundred bucks a piece. They sold out in less than a day.
Brian obviously there is spectator demand, why sell only 500?

Guys have run over 250mph on radials in the quarter. They have run 5.80s in that distance as well.

That is some pretty sketchy stuff on many levels as the tires were never designed to see those types of speeds and the reality is that the extra couple of seconds up and down in terms of acceleration and deceleration put huge strains on them.

Radial vs The World is unlike anything else in drag racing. Alex's car is about as far afield from a pro mod as you can get. That car started life as a stock Corvette. It is a real Corvette body and it still rolls on the stock Corvette wheelbase. Yes, it is filled with steel tubing but it is not at all like a pro mod either on top or bottom. The whole class is basically regulated with weight. You get to be lighter with stock wheelbase, you get to be lighter if you take the wheelie bars off, you get to be lighter if you run a small block, etc.

In that class we have ProCharger hemi engines, roots hemi engines, screw blown hemi engines, turbocharged hemi engines, turbocharged, roots, and screw blown big block Wedge engines, small block engines with turbos on them, massive nitrous engines with 4-5 kits on them, and the list goes on and on and on. It's unreal.

Brian

Thanks Brian. I really enjoy watching these types of races. Exciting, unpredictable, wheelies, the whole 9 yards. I didn't realize Alex's car was based on a real 'Vette. Thought it look kinda wide, so now I know. He really was on top of his game with R/T. Guess it pays to race Pro/S.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back