Airfares are getting Ridiculous!!!! (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
I was planning on going to Chicago, but that is scraped since the cheapest Fare Im finding is $450! And Indy isnt looking any better, SW is right around $500! Other Major Carriers are around $625-650, Looks like it may be a slim year for going to races!

Indy is only $136 one way out of Denver on Southwest Airlines. Make the 6 hour drive to DIA and you could save $300! :D

I think the most I have ever pid for Indy was around $350?

Try Southwest into Louisville, KY (airport code SDF). Rental car should be cheaper there too ... and it is a easy 90 minute drive straight up I-65.

Back when the F1 USGP was at the Speedway, I could fly nonstop from Vegas to Louisville cheaper than I could fly to Indy with 1 stop at Midway. The rental car was 10 bucks a day cheaper in Louisville too.

Try Southwest into Louisville, KY (airport code SDF). Rental car should be cheaper there too ... and it is a easy 90 minute drive straight up I-65.

Back when the F1 USGP was at the Speedway, I could fly nonstop from Vegas to Louisville cheaper than I could fly to Indy with 1 stop at Midway. The rental car was 10 bucks a day cheaper in Louisville too.

Thanks Chris, I'll give it a try!

I'm flying from Midway to Manchester, NH next week for $235 round trip. Good deals are out there, but you have to book early.

Last edited:
Joe you have to monitor the air fares daily as they can drop the fares at anytime and only leave the cheaper rates up for a day. For my flight to E-Town the round trip ticket was $450 and then out of the blue the fare dropped down to $250 and it was only there for 1 day and then it was back to the $450 price. Southwest usually has their sales on Tuesday and Wednesday each week.

I've been watching airfares too Joe. MSP to IND hasn't been below $500 RT for months. So, I'm gonna bite the bullet and do the 9-hour drive in my hybrid car that gets 50 MPG. I've been watching MSP to Vegas for the fall event and that has hovered around $400 for a awhile. I've been able to fly to Vegas the last few times for around $200 so I kinda got spoiled with that. I think the days of $200 airfares are probably gone for good.

I went from Bloomington, Il to Charlotte, NC for the April race and booked with priceline. We had air fare, car, and hotel, stayed for 4 nights, for less than $500 per person. So maybe try looking at those type of sites if you book all together you can save some money.

Airplanes aren't cheap. The airline I flew for before bailing claimed it was around $900 an hour to fly a Dash 8, before gas went way up. When I flew the Citation X, I was told somewhere on the order of $15K an hour. I think that's about what charter time on the X goes for though.

That 737 is likely around $20K to fly per hour and you have 137 seats to spread that cost around.

Joe, you also have the disadvantage of being in a tiny market. ABQ is never going to get the competitive airfares other bigger markets are.

Don't expect things to get any better. We just had Spirit Airlines start service here in the Twin Cities, and no sooner than that started, we see an article in the local daily blab that Delta is eying Spirit's methods of charging you for EVERYTHING with MUCH interest.

Isn't going to get any better until people wise up and quit paying outlandish fares and fees.

They charge those prices because they know they'll get it.

I've been watching airfares too Joe. MSP to IND hasn't been below $500 RT for months. So, I'm gonna bite the bullet and do the 9-hour drive in my hybrid car that gets 50 MPG. I've been watching MSP to Vegas for the fall event and that has hovered around $400 for a awhile. I've been able to fly to Vegas the last few times for around $200 so I kinda got spoiled with that. I think the days of $200 airfares are probably gone for good.

mark, don't forget we have Allegiant up here in Duluth flying non-stop into
vegas - 2 hr. drive north with a potentially cheap flight, but same as any
airline, have to monitor their pricing almost daily.

Joe, every year in July Southwest runs a 3 day super sale. Thats when I buy my flight to Ennis, Vegas, or whereever else I'm going. They have done it the last several years so I am sure they will do it again.

Joe you have to monitor the air fares daily as they can drop the fares at anytime and only leave the cheaper rates up for a day. For my flight to E-Town the round trip ticket was $450 and then out of the blue the fare dropped down to $250 and it was only there for 1 day and then it was back to the $450 price. Southwest usually has their sales on Tuesday and Wednesday each week.

What airline you fly Paul?

One of the reasons that airfares are higher now, is because of the new federal law that airfares now have to include all tax's and fees.
In the past the advertised price was just the base fare.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back