Aaron Brooks hired as Troxel's crew chief (1 Viewer)

Raconteur

Nitro Member

Brooks hired as Troxel's crew chief on In-N-Out Burger Funny Car

DULUTH, Ga. (Sept. 26) --
Talented tuner Aaron Brooks, one of drag racing's most promising young crew chiefs, has been hired to take over Melanie Troxel's In-N-Out Burger Dodge Charger R/T Funny Car, R2B2 Racing team owner Roger Burgess announced Sunday. The change will take place immediately.

This will mark Brooks' second stint at R2B2 Racing. He tuned past world champion Frank Hawley to a low qualifying effort at the Charlotte event in 2008 to highlight Hawley's six starts with the team. He then left to help Alan Johnson start the powerful Al-Anabi Racing group.

Prior to working at R2B2 Racing in '08, Brooks was assistant crew chief on four-time world champion Gary Scelzi's Funny Car, which claimed the 2005 POWERade title.

"We got the guy we wanted," Burgess said. "I really enjoyed having Aaron around when he was with us before and we're very glad to have him back in the fold.

"He asked if we could add the Reading race to our schedule so he'd have time to try a few things before we head out west for the final two races, which are both in big In-N-Out Burger markets -- Las Vegas and Southern California. So we'll have the car at Maple Grove now and that's exciting also."

Burgess added that Brooks already has signed on for 2011 and beyond. The team plans to run all 22 national events next season.

"Aaron's a young guy with a lot of fresh ideas and we're excited to have him," said Troxel, the only female and one of just 14 drivers in history with wins in Top Fuel and Funny Car. "I'll do everything I can to get in sync with him and get this car where it needs to be. Hopefully, we'll be up to speed soon."

Former crew chief Lance Larsen has been reassigned within R2B2 Racing and will assist Brooks in the transition at the helm of the Funny Car team. Consultant Richard Hogan has been released.

"Lance did a wonderful job with what he had to work with and I hope he's with us for a long time," Burgess said. "He's a friend and I plan to keep it that way. I also want to thank Richard for jumping in and helping us for the past few races."

The Toyo Tires NHRA Nationals take place Oct. 8-10 at historic Maple Grove Raceway in Reading, Pa.

--30--

I was talking to one of Melanie's crew guys in Dallas. He noticed I was wearing a cap from a university near his home town and he struck up a conversation with me. I asked how he got involved in the sport and he said that he wished he knew...the long hours for weeks on end with out time off were tough, but he loved the sport and it was worth it. He said the hardest part is never knowing if you have a job from week to week, so for his sake, I hope he survives the change.

I worked as an athletic trainer in several DI colleges and pro football teams. That was one of the reasons I left. The hours are brutal on family life, but the worst part is that it also comes with the risk of no job security ever. A new coach comes in and he wants "his" guys and you are out of a job. Because it is perceived as a high profile or "sexy" job, there is always a long line of guys behind you who will do the job...and usually for less money. Makes it tough to have any negotiating leverage, that's for sure. I guess it is the same pretty much everywhere in the "big time."

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back