A Donovan in T/D ? (1 Viewer)

Butch

Nitro Member
Just saw this on DRC. Is that an abbreviation for Donovan.

21 7089 Terry White, Minden NV, Sarmento-Donv

I'm thinking Donovan makes a version of the rat motor Chevy, as well as the Donovan 417 Hemi.
Yes, Donovan Engineering makes two versions if the BBC; the D500 and a RC 600 (raised cam). They also make several types of SBC that are commonly used in the sprint car world. We at VHS is one of their distributors.

What are the rules on power plants in Top Dragster? Anything goes with a 6.00 index? Just curious, I've never really researched the class, but the few times that I've seen them run, it's an exciting class to watch.

What are the rules on power plants in Top Dragster? Anything goes with a 6.00 index? Just curious, I've never really researched the class, but the few times that I've seen them run, it's an exciting class to watch.
Definitely a very cool class, mostly dragsters plus the occasional altered. Not sure on rules regarding powerplants, I've seen roots blowers, Prochargers, Nitrous, and turbos. They readjusted the index to 6.10 a few years ago, I believe to keep cars away from the 5's.

No nitro, but other than that, the 6.10 index is the equalizer. I have seen many T/D run 6.10 to qualify, and MPH is around 208 - 209. I do believe that if the index was changed to, say, 5.90, there would be quite a few cars that could run that number with no problem. Altho, I do remember Alan saying that the chassis specs are different for a 5 second car.

No nitro, but other than that, the 6.10 index is the equalizer. I have seen many T/D run 6.10 to qualify, and MPH is around 208 - 209. I do believe that if the index was changed to, say, 5.90, there would be quite a few cars that could run that number with no problem. Altho, I do remember Alan saying that the chassis specs are different for a 5 second car.
If you see 208-209 mph for a 6.10 run, then that person was off the throttle through the traps. A car that maxes out at 6.10 will be closer to 225. Then there are those who pull a fair amount of timing down low to get above the index. Some of them can run 6.10 and push 240 mph. These days, it's pretty safe to assume that a car capable of running 6.10 could comfortably get into the fives if they wanted.

A lot of stuff changes once you start going into the fives. My chassis cert is good to 6.00 and won't go lower. My license is only good to 6.00. I don't know how much of my safety equipment would be good, but I'd guess not all of it. In the earlier days of the class when you could count on one hand how many cars were actually capable of going that quick, it was easy to turn a blind eye to the spec violations. Once we got to the point where over half of each race's field could, it became harder to ignore, so the one-tenth buffer was added with much stricter penalties for being too quick.

Brad, are U racing this year? Hope so! :)
I should be out a few times. Definitely not a full NHRA schedule due to my dad's surgery, but I'll get more local stuff and hopefully hit the NHRAs when they're close to home. I haven't bothered putting together a schedule for this year because everything is contingent on his recovery at this point.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back