7-Point Harness? (1 Viewer)

Alan

Nitro Member
Does anyone have pics or can tell me how/where a 7-pt harness fastens around the driver? I'm just curious....

We've had a 7 point harness from Impact since we started top fuel in '04. The 6th and 7th points actually fasten under your but cheeks and wrap up and through the crotch area. What it basically does is lock your hips in place so they can't go anywhere. We have TJ cinched in so tight I don't know how he stands it. We also have an ISP foam seat. We just updated our ISP side pads around the helmet to be within 1/2 inch (previously 1 inch) of the helmet and they are now permanently mounted with tabs and studs (no hose clamp type fastener). Any drivers that are interested, stop by our pit, we'll be glad to show you.

I might not have noticed before... but . saw that JF's belts also have the breast plalte latch.. connecting the two shoulder belts at the sternum..

Billy

I might be wrong here, but I think the more straps you have would reduce the overall loading of each individual strap. In other words less strain on the strap, less risk of breakage. More surface holding your G-force induced weight, less PSI on your flesh.

Well I can't think of anything that less points outdose more points...

I have often wondered about a system that acts like a vest or wrap, attached to the fraimrails behind the driver on each side that wraps around the entire chest and belly area... Just a wrap below the armpits so you are locked in there, to help support the upper body completely... I understand that a locking and unlocking device must be worked out for a fast exit... This would be inaddition to the regular belt system... Those 3" belts used to really dig into your shoulders before the HANS... But I still think a body wrap is possible with the BRAINS behind these companies... I'll draw pics later to better explain my idea... It is along the same idea as the sturnum belt... But it is a solid or full piece of material that is like putting on a jacket without arms or shoulders... A courset (sp) of sorts...
Thinking out loud here folks...

Ray, go get Lost In Space..:p

No, seriously, go rent the movie Lost in Space... The scene just before the family launched. As they step into the sleep pods, their backs of suits locked into the framework of the pod, securing them to the capsule.

Yeah, its sci-fi, but I remember Dick Tracy talking to his wrist and thinking how cool it would be to be able to do that.. (now I just want to throw that piece of &#*! down the toilet..). Point is, something about securing a body equally made a bunch of sense, as does your post.. Just THINKING out loud bro..:D

It's tough trying to solve one problem without creating another. Obviously, they have to keep the belts simple enough that they don't hinder the driver from exiting the car quickly. On a similar thought, has anyone given any thought about the new wider cage on Force's car and how it seems to offer less protection from debris such as oh, say part of the body or maybe a blower? I'm not convinced that they're on the right track. But then again, what do I know. Solve one problem...create a new one.

Mickey Thompson: 7-Point Harness?

Well I can't think of anything that less points outdose more points... :confused:

I have often wondered about a system that acts like a vest or wrap, attached to the framerails behind the driver on each side that wraps around the entire chest and belly area... Just a wrap below the armpits so you are locked in there, to help support the upper body completely... I understand that a locking and unlocking device must be worked out for a fast exit... This would be in addition to the regular belt system... Those 3" belts used to really dig into your shoulders before the HANS... But I still think a body wrap is possible with the BRAINS behind these companies... I'll draw pics later to better explain my idea... It is along the same idea as the sternum belt... But it is a solid or full piece of material that is like putting on a jacket without arms or shoulders... A corset (sp) of sorts...
Thinking out loud here folks...

Way too many years ago, Mickey Thompson had a problem with belts in the Challenger I [406.60 MPH one way - Official 345.33 MPH four engine Bonneville stream-liner] and, as memory serves, used a very busy super wide belt from waist to arm pits. In those days [technology is not what it is today], he used multiple rows of "Dot" fasteners to secure the belts together. He also had an innovative, for those days, helmet restraint system.

I'll try to find a picture, but hopefully some of the older guys or gals can provide one sooner.

This isn't exactly what your are suggesting, but shows that good ideas have a habit of reoccurring from time to time.;)

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back