427 SOHC (1 Viewer)

These things had a problem of being a Slug as they were shipped but their was a Fix for them that was in the Cam Timing. I knew a guy who had a Blown Fuel Flat Bottom and it just wouldn't run the number. After talking around it was suggested to take it to Dave Zeuschel. Zeuschel and Pink were basiclly the only Engine Builders who were competative with the Cammer except for Pete Robinson & Kalitta who only did their own Motors. Zeuchel said "Take the Frony Cover off and bring me the Boat with out even seeing the Motor. He advanced the Cam 7 degrees on the second side and the owner's eyes looked like he was an Owl when he hit the throttle. The Timing chain was so long it lost cam timing with all the gears - idlers and the valve springs. Not that much of a problem with as shipped valve springs but when you double - triple - four times the pressure things change. Dave found out by checking the timing on each cylinder and one whole side was late. The other problem with the Cammer is - Yes it was a Marvel, but there AIN'T anyway you are going to be ready between Rounds now days. By the way when Prudhome had the Brand Ford car with the new Cammer in it I got him in the First Round at Riverside. He was #1 & I was #17 in a 32 car show (Old ladder). We were real close until about 1100/1200 feet, then I almost crashed trying to look around to see if my Blower belt was still going around.

About six years ago I was at a Sunoco gas station filling my Dart 340 with some 104 when I heard some serious horsepower pulling into the station.
I turned around and saw a British racing green XKE Jaguar pulling in. I was really confused because it sure didn’t sound like a straight 6.
When the car stopped the driver (about 75) got out. I asked what he had under the hood.
He said, “It’s just a 427 Ford.”
I asked him if I could look under the hood.
I was more than a little surprised to see a twin carb SOHC.
1664496232207.jpeg
1664496232207.jpeg

Over the years, I have heard a story about Prudhomme taking his engine to Pink's shop. They stuck it on the dyno, shut off all the lights, and put a timing light on the passenger side cam. That was how they figured out about the cam getting retarded with RPM.

It was said the Cammer made more HP than the Hemi. I think today this engine would be really outdated, but it's still a marvel.

When Prudhomme recently restored the Shelbys Super Snake, with modern day parts, he said they almost doubled the horsepower from when it raced in 1967.
Also, Jim Crooke's restored Assasin dragster was converted to an external cogged belt drive for the cams and seems to run OK, in cacklefests at least. That might have been a good fix (maybe even better than Pete Robinson's gear drive.)
But like Roger said, how could you accomplish today's between round rebuilds with all that cam stuff ?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back