2 Odd Funny Car Combos (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
These 2 were both odd combinations for Funny Cars in my view.

A. Remember the War Wagon? This car driven by Larry Gould was sure different. It had a Dodge Charger body with get this, a 427-ci. SOHC engine! Maybe the only combination of that sort ever.

B. This car was different in my view as well. It was driver/owner Gerry Schwartz driving the "Ratty Cat" Mercury Cougar with a 427-ci. Chevrolet "Rat" engine between the rails. Gerry would later lose his life in that car in an accident.

Interesting pairings indeed.

TopFuel@Lions

Don't forget Wild Willie Borsch ran his Revell Wildman Charger FC with a Chevy at first, then switched to a Hemi.

Don't forget Wild Willie Borsch ran his Revell Wildman Charger FC with a Chevy at first, then switched to a Hemi.
That car had it's own arm. lol.

Just Southeast of St. Louis Intl. Raceway, (World Wide Technology Park) is where Larry Gould's Belleville, IL body shop was located. I'm pretty sure, he was running a 72-73 Mustang body during 77-79 seasons with "Larry Gould" in big letters on the side. I have some photos of him at the SLIR Gateway Nationals during those years. He apparently cornered the market on the Ford SOHC nitro motors as he was still running them on nitro at that time. Really nice guy.

Last edited:
Rodger Brogden, Phony Pony, very narrow, long body on a dragster frame. Ran 2 unblown small block Fords, then switched to a blown small block Ford. Not real fast, not legal for NHRA. Later ran a conventional Mustang with a blown Chrysler.

The Drag List above has some interesting funny cars that fit this post.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back