13 Pro Stock cars and 29 Pro Mod cars at Bristol (1 Viewer)

dragstats

Nitro Member
I'm not on here a lot, but after coming back from a great weekend at Bristol and seeing a fantastic field of Pro Mods, I'm wondering if this subject has been beaten to death?:)

I know there is probably a bunch of politics or something, that doesn't allow more showcasing of the pro mods...but these cars are awesome!

I like all the classes, but c'mon man...................

Yes, it has been beaten to death. The Pro Mods DO NOT WANT TO RUN 24 EVENTS. It is their decision. not NHRA's.

DITTO!!!

To those who continue to pound on this topic, be careful what you wish for. The INSTANT these guys are given professional status and put on the full 24-race schedule will be the instant the class begins circling the drain.

Sean D

Thank you sirs...figured it had when I didn't see anything about it...thought I had heard the PM guys don't want to run the whole tour.
Ok, I'll enjoy my new favorite track now, Bristol.

Love Pro Stock but I think it's time to stick a fork in it.
Split Pro Mod into East and West championships, like Supercross lites run. 12 races each and show them on the same broadcast as the nitro cars. The racers can decide which championship/races to persue. That way there's Pro Mods at every race, nobody has to run more than 12 events and they're showcased with the big boys like they ought to be. Just throwin it out there.

I've read that Pro Mod will expand to 14 NHRA National events in 2018, they will get 4 qualifying rounds at every event, and all of their elimination rounds will be on Sunday. I also heard from one of the horse's mouth that they would race the full schedule, but not as what is now basically a self-funded semi-pro class...

These short fields are really hurting the image of the sport. It makes drag racing look dysfunctional when we can't even present the full program as intended. More often than not the winner of a short field only has to win 3 races—the equivalent of an 8-car eliminator. I wonder if the champions should have an asterisk next to their names in the record books. After all, winning 75% of a national event is a lot easier than taking 4 rounds. You're getting the trophy and title for winning as much as a full field runner up!

Last edited:
I understand the ProMod guys not wanting to run 24 races, but why not rotate the races they compete at? I'd love to see Pro Mod at Brainerd for example, but they never run there.

I told the wife the other night, this was the year we should of went PS racing, with the short fields we could of "qualified" at most of them this year.

Saw interview with Jim Whitley & he was talking about Pro Mod. I always wondered why he left T/AD after winning so much, but he said he has always been a door car guy; that Pro Mod is really an up & coming class. He really loves running Pro Mod. I think those cars are hard to run, all that power & short wheelbase. So let's stretch 'em out to 125" wheelbase and..... heh heh

Saw interview with Jim Whitley & he was talking about Pro Mod. I always wondered why he left T/AD after winning so much, but he said he has always been a door car guy; that Pro Mod is really an up & coming class. He really loves running Pro Mod. I think those cars are hard to run, all that power & short wheelbase. So let's stretch 'em out to 125" wheelbase and..... heh heh

...and then we have FCs with left hand steer. :D

You know what I was thinking about was the early F/C's, when they still had doors and just the front of the car was stretched out. Auto trans, & nitro engine. But they weren't 125" at the time, probably 115 - 120". Saw a Pontiac Trans Am at Lions & that was what it looked like. Just thought that a bit longer wheelbase would help the drivers steer better. Of course, then we'd come full circle....

Split PM and PS 14 events each, kinda like PSB and Top Fuel Harley. Half or more of PS budget is lodging for the crew, it wold make it much more "affordable". Actually just do away with PS and go to Stock, they are much more representative of what PS should be.

I understand the ProMod guys not wanting to run 24 races, but why not rotate the races they compete at? I'd love to see Pro Mod at Brainerd for example, but they never run there.

I agree 100%! There absolutely no Pro Mod races on the west coast!
I would love to see what numbers they would put up at sea level tracks like Sonoma that has the best attendances which sold out the last few years!

I agree 100%! There absolutely no Pro Mod races on the west coast!
I would love to see what numbers they would put up at sea level tracks like Sonoma that has the best attendances which sold out the last few years!

Pro Mod run at Vegas 2, it's their last race of the season.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back