Would You Rather Drive? (1 Viewer)

I've wanted to give Super Comp a go ever since I got out of the juniors but haven't had a chance to yet. Top Fuel would be a huge thrill to take for a spin, though I'm completely out of my element in any class that doesn't involve stripe driving. I'll be the oddball here because if we're talking competition over the course of multiple races, especially if I'm responsible for my own operation, give me SC.

Brad, it wouldn't bother you that the S/C car would be so much slower than the T/D? Well, I guess S/C less expensive to run. Altho, you could slow down the T/D and run 8.90 at 200.... heh

I follow all the super classes on the internet they all have great racers and at the end of the day the super class racers versus trying to race a independent top fuel car, the super class racers have empty COOLERS versus empty WALLETS. LOL. No matter what sportsmen classes you race have fun an race safely.
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter🤠

I'll take BAH. Probably spend a season in Promod Hydro 1st. My dream was always TFH but they pretty much priced themselves out of competition.

Altho, you could slow down the T/D and run 8.90 at 200.... heh
I know people who have tried 8.90 at over 200. It doesn't work well. At least, no one has figured out how to make it work. 190 currently seems to be the ceiling for a happy car, but that could always change.
Brad, it wouldn't bother you that the S/C car would be so much slower than the T/D?
Nah. I'd race a motorhome if it's legal and capable of being competitive.

The three .90 classes are probably the hardest to compete in for the Lucas Oil Series. Not only do you have to be an sharpshooter driver (with help from the box), but the math it takes to determine and keep your 'ratio' close all weekend, which directly contributes to how much stop time you put in the timer, all to get close enough to determine whether you're getting there first, too fast or safe? too close to whomp, maybe drag the brake instead? should you let the other car get there first? All within hundreths of a second....I'm getting excited and a headache at the same time LOL

1669151986941.png

Top Fuel

I would most like to drive a front-engine AA/FD with a 392 on lots of pineapple juice in the final round about 10:45pm on a Saturday night at Lions Drag Strip.

TopFuel@Lions
Mark,
An I would shut you off for being DUMB. LOL.
PS: I will never rust, I have been oiled down so many times driving a front motor top fuel car.🔥
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter an well oiled racer (RET.)🤠

Mark,
An I would shut you off for being DUMB. LOL.
PS: I will never rust, I have been oiled down so many times driving a front motor top fuel car.🔥
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter a well oiled racer (RET.)🤠
One thing some of these guys don’t seem to understand is that when the fog comes in and your goggles turn yellow at about 1000 feet you AIN’T driving - Your riding. And - If you happen to be driving (rags tied around the breathers) a Chevrolet and you can see at 1000 feet you are already ahead of the game. 😎

I'll play this game, but tweak the question...

Would you rather take a ride in/on:

1. Modern Top Fuel Hydro
2. Modren Top Fuel Funny Car
3. Modern Top Fuel Harley/Motorcycle
4. Modern Electric Chair (the death penalty kind)

Game is, you HAVE to pick 3...
I'll start...

Ill take the TFH, FC and the electric chair...in that order, bc after the first two, what would I have to dream about, and the chair seems like a much safer option than the TF Harley...

1st, tf funny or rail, 2nd, a pass in one of Fred Goeske's rocket cars, 3rd, old school 3 point kurtis 500 pre-capsule with a keith black nitro bomb behind me.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I saw a front motor AA/FD with rags around the breathers. And duct tape on the rags.
Anybody remember front motor AA/FD with weights on the front end (to try to prevent wheelies) that were duct taped on?
Or the AA/FD at Lions that kicked a rod, big hole in the block. They used cardboard & duct tape to cover the hole and ran the final on 7 cyls. I think the motor lasted 900 feet. Dang, I wish I could remember the team, they were well known and knew the motor would puke at 900'. Heh
Or how many times Larry shut down a nitro car that came to the line with "death smoke" coming out of the pipes. Yes I saw that. Or if a team wanted to mess with another team, they would pour oil on the headers to make them smoke so the other guys would think they had it in the bag.

Last edited:
I wish I had a nickel for every time I saw a front motor AA/FD with rags around the breathers. And duct tape on the rags.
Anybody remember front motor AA/FD with weights on the front end (to try to prevent wheelies) that were duct taped on?
Or the AA/FD at Lions that kicked a rod, big hole in the block. They used cardboard & duct tape to cover the hole and ran the final on 7 cyls. I think the motor lasted 900 feet. Dang, I wish I could remember the team, they were well known and knew the motor would puke at 900'. Heh
Or how many times Larry shut down a nitro car that came to the line with "death smoke" coming out of the pipes. Yes I saw that. Or if a team wanted to mess with another team, they would pour oil on the headers to make them smoke so the other guys would think they had it in the bag.
Those weights wern't Duct taped on. We used the finest hose clamps NAPA had and taped over them for back up until they said "No more". It was the Surfers that did that and it went more like 1100/1200 feet. Tom Jobe was a master at making a 354 run with no Money. He was one of the first to always run the Can. Most of us couldn't get more than 83-84% in and live but the 354 didn't need as much fuel as the 392. His secret that finally came out was in the nozzles. That was before the newer nozzles that you could change the Nozzle Jet. He probably reshaped the ends and angle cut almost every week and it worked. Brisette also ran little Motors but he had a huge advantage. Jim was the Enderle test car & every fuel pump update was developed by Brisette & Kent (with input from Pete Jackson).
Quick Story - The small Hemi's had no injector for Jr. Fuel except for Hilborn. Kent made one and had Brisette do a 300" motor (310). They put it in a super lite car (Bob Knight) and I drove it to test. After a couple of squirts it was time to go. Motor fires up we do the turn around and my wife points to the Oil Pressure guage - 0 PSI. Brisette looks at her and says "OK". She shakes her head so he walkes over to the motor - grabs the guage and twists it 180 degrees. Then he points to the starting line. The car runs 185 MPH and that is when I found out about High Volume - Low Pressure oil systems. Don't try this on a Blown Motor!

The Surfers at Fontana.... so why was my brain saying Lions? HA I don't think I recognized anyone in the photos. I remember some AA/FD racers saying they ran a "night motor" at Lions, the 354, cuz Lions could get dew on the track and the 354 made less HP, so could hook up better. I don't remember seeing dew at Lions, but I do remember seeing Don Garlits VS James Warren at OCIR one night, and the track was a bit dewy. Warren won the race cuz he was able to out pedal Garlits. Crowd loved it!

Wait there is a guy w/ a white jacket on and a growth of beard. Is that Mike Sorokin?

The Surfers at Fontana.... so why was my brain saying Lions? HA I don't think I recognized anyone in the photos. I remember some AA/FD racers saying they ran a "night motor" at Lions, the 354, cuz Lions could get dew on the track and the 354 made less HP, so could hook up better. I don't remember seeing dew at Lions, but I do remember seeing Don Garlits VS James Warren at OCIR one night, and the track was a bit dewy. Warren won the race cuz he was able to out pedal Garlits. Crowd loved it!

Wait there is a guy w/ a white jacket on and a growth of beard. Is that Mike Sorokin?
There was always Fog at lions after about early September in the later rounds. Driver couldn't see past the end of the stands. Somehow you could manage to tell where the end was and nothing else mattered. The rational was "Nobody else is out there but the two of you" and maybe the other Guys cajones would shrivle up. Problem was He was thinking the same thing 😁. A lot of the time C.J. would try to get the last pair to split the Money and sometimes insist on it if it got too bad.

Although I haven't driven a TF car and would like to very, very much, there is nothing like the satisfaction of having driven the finish line to perfection in a S/C car! Of course, I would take the TF ride though.

I have driven almost every other class of drag cars, including nitro funny car and nitro fuel altered. For me, the nitro fuel altered ride is absolutely the most fun. Here is a video of my deal last year at Denver running a 5.83/240.

Lyle Greenberg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back